49 chrysler fluid drive converter needed bad

• 2 weeks later...

So just to verify, are you looking for the whole housing of the torque converter.  6 or 8 Cyl?  Looks like 46-50 8 Cyl were part number 1320621 and 41-53 6 cyl were unit 1320563.  That one was also used by Dodge and Desoto 6 cyl.

Do you not have one at all or is yours leaking?

I have a used housing I pulled off a 42 Dodge parts car but have no Idea of condition.  But before I dig I want to verify what you are after.  Leaky seals can be fixed.

Greg,  I got reading your past posts and it sounds like you have a leaky Fluid drive unit.  Still not sure if 6 or 8.  Years ago I pulled my fluid drive unit out and sent it to a transmission shop in Ohio.  They had the seals in stock back then.  Still working great.

The Fluid drive looks like a torque converter.  The seal is located in the center so when the seal fails, you loose about half the fluid.  There are 2 seals involved.  One is a covered spring like seal and the other is a graphite ring.  My graphite ring shattered into pieces.  Once the seal goes the oil will flow out and run down the the outside of the fluid drive and flow onto the bell housing and run out the screens.  If the unit spins it will throw all that oil around in the housing area like the old spinning paint art toy.

Replacing the whole unit you could possibly find yourself with the same problem as who knows the condition of the seals until you add fluid.

There are some pricey seals on ebay but you need to verify which one you need by identifying what unit you have.  But if a new fluid drive unit even exists, I'm sure that price would be sky high.

I'll see if I can find where I sent mine

Either way it is a lot of work.  You have to pull the transmission out and remove the clutch to get the fluid drive out.  Removing the nuts that connect the fluid drive to the engine are the biggest pain.  A lot of cussing.

I'll see if I can  give you any insight.

Ron

Edited by Ron42Dodge (see edit history)