What type of paint? 1937 Buick special

70sWagoneers

I have a survivor 1937 Buick Special. It is all original and well "patina'd". The color is Chancellor Blue. Im pretty green when it comes to painting. I would like to "blend" in some spots that are a bit rusty like on the cowling under the hood and in the fenderwells. I know the color will not match but it doesnt matter. I just want a correct color paint that is compatible with the original paint. Ive found many color chips on the internet but no mention of type of paint. What type paint would Buick use in 1937? Is it nitrocellulose lacquer or enamel? If it is nitro, the only place i see so far to get it is Hibernia Restoration. Any other sources?

Thanks

James C

Edited by 70sWagoneers (see edit history)

PPG still mixes Duracyrl acrylic laquer.  Very limited though.  Finishmaster in the Detroit area is the only one in Michigan that mixes it.   It will blend in with the original stuff.  

In a pinch I've mixed Standox Base/clear blended into acrylic laquer.  It worked and looked great but I don't know how long it will last.  

Yes, Acrylic did not come out until the 50s in factory use.

• 3 weeks later...

The only two places I could find that had custom mix nitrocellulose were Hibernia Auto and Bill Hirsch. Hirsch didn't seem interested in selling anything under 4gallon minimum. The Hibernia people were pleasant and mixed up a quart of my color for a decent price.

James C.