225/70R15 Suretrac Power Touring tires

RivNut

I am scared they would be square. Think I may go with American Classic in 215/75-15 with the 1.3" whitewall. Ordered one from Coker today to replace my 32 year old spare. See how it looks, and may get 4 more.

The new Buick Envision is built totally in China.  I think too many people bad mouth everything built in China.  Sure, there's the Harbor Freight tools that won't do for everyday use, but they work in a pinch for jobs around the shop.  I read some reviews where people said thesee tires were okay, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any first hand knowledge of them.

I think you might find this interesting

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/where-are-tires-made

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

The new Buick Envision is built totally in China.

Which means that the Chinese have probably stolen every bit of technology therein.  GM must think the cost savings and/or market penetration are greater than the value of their intellectual property.

10 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Which means that the Chinese have probably stolen every bit of technology therein.  GM must think the cost savings and/or market penetration are greater than the value of their intellectual property.

KongaMan, I've been retired from corporate world for 10 years. I remember hearing from one our folks the Chinese do take technology that does not belong to them.

RRB

24 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

OR, did GM steal the Chinese technology? ?

The Buick Cascade is built in Poland and based on an Opel of Germany chassis.  The new  Buick Encore is built in Korea and Spain.  

What is truly "built in America?"

Hi Ed,

Bought a set of 5 about 18 months ago after a friend showed them to me on his 78 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. He had a good experience with them and he is super critical. They had a wide band whitewall that I was after and a R235/75 footprint on my 6 inch optional rims for '63. 

Havent done too many miles to be an expert, but on a run last Saturday they seemed to ride well, are quiet and priced reasonably well. I would have preferred to fit a better known brand, however white walls in Australia are almost non existent. Coker and few other brands are sold here but require several kings ransoms that I could not justify.

Too early to tell, but I think I would buy them again.

Hope this helps.

PS the yellow Smiley Face valve caps were a rare option in 63 ???

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

The tire I had in mind, the title of my thread, was for a 225/70R15.  I've run this size on my '63 for quite some time with no ill effects.

Ed,

When I purchased my Riv I went to my local Firestone dealer where I had been getting tires for my collector cars for years. The last set I purchased before this set was in 2003 and they were Firestones. I had no idea in that time span how hard it had become to find whitewall tires. The only tires he could find in his network of vendors was a tire from China. They are SUNTEK 225/75R15's. I was not going to pay the outrageous prices that Coker and some of the other vendors want for their tires. These were very affordable and so far I am very happy with them. I have been on several long trips with these tires including a 2200 mile jaunt to the ROA Convention in Colorado. I currently have 8000 miles on this set. My car rides very smoothly and handles well on these tires. From the experience I have had with these Chinese tires I would not have any qualms about trying out those that are in question.

Bill

IMG_3021.thumb.JPG.9062143b5581e23d088ae9edc6814256.JPG  

Yes Ed that's the size I've run on my '64 for many yrs. now. Just rubs very lightly on the inside on full left or right turns. So little it's nothing to worry about & I've still got original springs on mine since 1964. It does sit a little low, but makes the car lower to the ground for better handling I feel.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2017 at 2:42 PM, RivNut said:

The tire I had in mind, the title of my thread, was for a 225/70R15.  I've run this size on my '63 for quite some time with no ill effects.

I replaced my 9 year old 225/70R15 with the same size. Everything is fine. The tire guy told me the white wall was .85 of an inch. To me it seems like 7/8", but I could be wrong.The brand I purchased was Toyo. I don't care where it is made or what the guy/gal looks like that made it, just as long as it is made right.

Red Riviera Bob

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Hankook makes a whitewall tire

I really like Hankook tires. I have bought two sets of H724's, for my S-10 truck and my 1969 Chevrolet Caprice. Both sets were black walls but they are very quiet, wear well and have excellent wet traction. 

I've run Hankooks on my last 4 vehicles for which I've had to buy tires.  A Jeep GC, a Ford Edge, my '93 Riviera, and my current ride, my '94 Roadmaster wagon.  I find some really good deals on Hankook tires at the local WallyWorld store.  BUT, the white side wall width on the Hankook tire is not quite up to the width of the first generation Rivieras.  That's why I originally asked about the Suretrac tires.  The width of this white side wall is within .075" of the American Classic, sold by Coker, offered in their repo tires.  The Suretrack is 1-3/8" (1.375") compared to American Classics 1.3" white side wall on their 215/75R15.  I shopping white side wall width, not manufacturer, and so far this is the closest I can find in a non-repo tire.

Image result for sure trac 225/70R15 white sidewall

Related image

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed, since my last post on these I have managed to do some more miles (well kilometres here down under) and I'm happy with the Suretrac performance and ride. Most of the miles have been country roads, but includes a little bit of freeway and suburbia. I had the wheel alignment checked this week as requested by the tyre fitter and all seems good.

I'm running 32 psi all round including the spare and with Gabriel gas shockers all round, ride is firm. When new, the owner ordered "heavy duty springs and shocks" and "oversize whitewall tyres and wheels"  options, so keeping it in the same spirit. 

The PO had fitted the 235/75R15 in another brand, again with a wide whitewall, however these were no longer available. I love the look of the wider tread as in my opinion Riviera and other classics can look "under tyred" . Sure they rub a bit when turning but that's no big deal. And I think the wider white really sets of the chrome spoked wheel trims and Arctic White.

Will I buy them again? YES, thinking of getting some Astro Supremes or Cragar SS wheels and would like to run two sets of wheels to keep them guessing. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 9:23 PM, RivNut said:

I read some reviews where people said thesee tires were okay, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any first hand knowledge of them.

I have read reviews, then pressed my left thumb against my palm, looked at my four fingers and said to myself " Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars. Huh, I wonder."

• 9 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 9:57 PM, RivNut said:

I've run Hankooks on my last 4 vehicles for which I've had to buy tires.  A Jeep GC, a Ford Edge, my '93 Riviera, and my current ride, my '94 Roadmaster wagon.  I find some really good deals on Hankook tires at the local WallyWorld store.  BUT, the white side wall width on the Hankook tire is not quite up to the width of the first generation Rivieras.  That's why I originally asked about the Suretrac tires.  The width of this white side wall is within .075" of the American Classic, sold by Coker, offered in their repo tires.  The Suretrack is 1-3/8" (1.375") compared to American Classics 1.3" white side wall on their 215/75R15.  I shopping white side wall width, not manufacturer, and so far this is the closest I can find in a non-repo tire.

Image result for sure trac 225/70R15 white sidewall

Related image

Ed, did you go with these tires and if so, are you happy with them?

Ben

26 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'll have to answer this with a "not yet."  I'm not to the point of purchasing tires, but I think I will based on some replies I've read from others.  

Well , you are not much help!:P.

I am looking at them for my '50 for the WW as you are. I need some by the 23rd before a trip. Mine are almost ten years old and beginning to crack.

Now if I can find them locally.

Thanks, Ed

Ben

• 9 months later...

Hi Ed, 

I am interested in trying a set of the Suretrac tires, but same as you, would like to hear honest reviews from someone that has actual experience with them. Have you tried these SureTrac tires yet? If so are you happy with them?  

Thanks James

On 5/21/2019 at 6:30 AM, chevcad said:

Hi Ed, 

I am interested in trying a set of the Suretrac tires, but same as you, would like to hear honest reviews from someone that has actual experience with them. Have you tried these SureTrac tires yet? If so are you happy with them?  

Thanks James

Hi James,

you may have seen a couple of my replies to this topic. 

I was probably also a bit skeptical at first with an unknown brand and leaning toward others, however the choice for whitewalls in Australia is somewhat limited. As mentioned, the Caddy owner is very fussy and fastidious about his Coupe DeVille, so figured the tyres tires must be reasonable.

Ok, since my last post have done several interstate trips as well as many intrastate to cruise nights, swap meets and general running around in yer Riv and am very happy with them. I was so happy, I rotated them to include the spare.

I am running 32psi and get a good but firm ride. The white walls clean up well with a sand soap and they don’t loose air. I love the look of the wide white and also the tyre size fits the vehicle. I often think some of these look under tyres, especially as we are so used to seeing more rubber on our vehicles.

No, I don’t have any affiliation with Suretrac or their Australian distributor but find paying a fair price for a good tyre is what floats my boat! To buy a Coker or other Classic Radial whitewall would have been THREE times the price!

6DD7EE11-C2B0-4C58-8291-63D40A5B9667.jpeg

rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

C4A3CDE4-1568-45B0-9F1B-A217B5956130.png

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Add sign off (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Very interesting views ED, and thanks for starting this thread, BTW - your link worked fine for me.

I have been looking for nice whites for some time to replace my 25+ year  old Goodyear Radials that are long "unobtainium" now.

Looks like plenty of sources when you start beating the bushes !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Very interesting views ED, and thanks for starting this thread, BTW - your link worked fine for me.

I have been looking for nice whites for some time to replace my 25+ year  old Goodyear Radials that are long "unobtainium" now.

Looks like plenty of sources when you start beating the bushes !

Looking forward to your evaluation. Keep us posted.