1930 Franklin Convertible **RESTORED** BEAUTIFUL

1930 Franklin Convertible for sale. Fully restored. This is show ready. Bought from owner who owned it since the early 1980's. We have pictures and documents showing the car through the years as well. Here is a link to it on our website.

http://www.drukautosales.com/1930_FRANKLIN_CONVERTIBLE_Forest Lake_MN_10828223.veh

Please feel free to give me a call with any questions or with if you need more pictures or videos of the car. 612-750-8927

Thanks again for looking.

DRUK.png

iuih.png

sdsdsdsd.png

dfadf.png

druk auto sales.png

sdfs.pngsdfsdfs.png

dgs.png

igp.png

sd.png

untitled.png

33.png

936573039.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Air cooled.

1930 Franklin Convertible Coupe***AIR COOLED ENGINE*** RESTORED*** Older restoration that still shows well. Full classic! Rumble seat. Very nice inside and out. Runs and drives great! 3 speed manual. One of only handful left in the world. Franklin air plane 6 cylinder engine. You wont find another true classic convertible priced under $50,000. Correctly restored car. Have documentation going back to 1983 from the last owner.
Druk Auto Sales
334 19th ST. SW
Forest Lake, MN 55025
651-272-5461

895803588.jpg

I owned a 1931 Derham bodied victoria brougham for 43 years and drove it over 50,000+ miles in all sorts of weather. . They are very nice road cars and can cruise along at 50-55 mph all day long

even in 80-90 degree heat. As David Coco says they are great if well sorted, steering boxes (especially Gemmer) have a tendency to wear and get sloppy, but there is someone who

rebuilds them. Very nice cars to drive, they ride, stop and steer well.

John, please take this as no offense intended, but I think it's a mistake to list all the things wrong with a car on a forum like this. Now a potential buyer is looking at this car and making a list of things he's either going to want the seller to fix free of charge (especially since the seller appears to be a dealer) or that he's going to use as a lever to move the seller's price downward. You (and Shawn) would probably not enjoy an expert picking your cars apart in a public setting, either, correct? It's OK to know what's wrong and it's OK to let the buyer know, but only if you have a stake in the outcome or if you're asked for your expert opinion. Essentially reaching into this guy's pocket like that seems wrong to me, and it's why I don't do it. I see all kinds of problems and incorrect details on cars for sale here, but it's not my job to be the authenticity police, so I keep my mouth shut. Knowing too much is sometimes as bad as knowing too little when it comes to selling cars.

A buyer on any other venue doing a Google search for this car will also find this thread. The internet never forgets. It's not right to black mark someone else's car, even if there are details that could be changed. That's between the seller and the buyer and/or the next owner if he asks for advice. Your knowledge is extremely useful, but it needs to be given to the right person at the right time, that's all.

Just my opinion as one dealer to another.

• Like 5

I think that John's observations are useful and interesting. The purpose of a Forum is to exchange information, to post notices, and to discuss matters of interest. A seller, or a dealer, should know that the followers of this Forum have a lot of expertise and knowledge that they freely share, and it's that freedom to share that makes the Forum terrific, even in the Buy and Sell section. I can understand why a dealer might be sensitive to such public nitpicking. But that's what we do in this Forum. There are other places to place your advertisements that won't subject you to freely stated opinions and observations.

• Like 4

John's observations are extremely helpful.

If the car were for sale at the Hershey car corral,

for example, we could be gathered 'round this

nice-looking car and discussing it in just the same manner.

We're talking tens of thousands of dollars here,

and the selling dealer may be aware of these points anyway.

I'm aware of an AACA Past President, knowledgeable about

a certain make, who has made similar helpful observations

on a different car;  and a national car-magazine editor who

pointed out that a claimed custom-bodied Chrysler was 

evidently not what it seemed.  Thanks to all of you, and

we hope Mr. Druk sells his Franklin to a good home.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Not to take anything from Ross, but there's nothing wrong with the Gemmer boxes used in Franklins.   What's wrong is people thinking they "rebuilt" it without also replacing a worn hourglass worm gear and roller. 

Add to that, the kingpins and bushings are either worn, or new ones are rarely installed the way Franklin insists because the special burnishing tool needed for the final operation of installing new bushings correctly is an extremely rare tool. 

Dick Pratt, a member of the Franklin Club (and these forums), many years ago tracked down the company that bought out Gemmer's special equipment and tooling. He has them making new hourglass worms. Dick's machine shop in Maine makes all the other parts needed and he does the final assembly - all at a very reasonable price. http://odatmachine.com/     

He has also made a special jig to do all the final adjustments to the bearings, worm, and roller that makes it far more precise, with minimal play without binding, than you can do by the book method. Anyone who thinks that by just replacing the bearings and resetting the adjustments constitutes a rebuild has to try one of Dick's rebuilt Gemmers to see what a pleasure it is to drive a Franklin with steering like when it rolled out the factory door.

Dick has rebuilt seven Gemmers for me and each one is  wonderful. Steering is easy, with NO wandering. That is, if the rest of the steering system and kingpins are also set up properly!!!!!!

I've driven the exact same model, with properly done new king pins and bushings, with a Dick Pratt rebuilt Gemmer, and it's steering is one-finger light turning corners here in town. And it does NOT wander from side to side on even our frost-heaved roads here in CNY.   With a 95 hp 6 cylinder, aircraft style aircooled engine, light weight, and full elliptic springs, as Walt said, they are nice driving cars. Smooth riding as you'd expect from a far heavier car.

BTW, the door caps were not originally grained on the 30-31 Franklin Convertible Coupe models.  

If it runs as good as it looks the price is very reasonable.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

If looking for a good open Franklin, I really suggest a serious look at this car especially given the reduced price  (and it was fine at prior slightly higher price) !

Matt, I do appreciate you comments.  And, I made such comments as car does very much justify its price (and hard to find a restored open Franklin of this quality).

As to Paul's comments about running - if ever needed Franklins are not mind blowing to sort out (and while they intimidate some people, there really is nothing to be intimidated about) - I would have no concerns one way or another about mechanics.

Agree with Paul that a steering worm drive could be a key - at time I did my car a worm gear was not something made or cost effective to make - and our car had less than 10K original  miles on it and already showed wear to worm.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

22 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Actually, it's a $40,000 price, with a dollar change.

I can't speak to Franklin pricing, but personally I

like the tan-and-orange color scheme.  I hope

Mr. Druk does well and does fairly in finding a good buyer.

Like some 40's Lincolns they tend to publically sell lower than one would expect being  CCCA luxury automobiles.   Part of the problem may be that the "good" open cars very rarely change hands outside of the club - ie the average "Joe on the Street" is not seeing the sale.  And, many people get overly intimidated by them being non-traditional (ie AirCooled).   Great cars though and I highly endorse ownership.   I also endorse their club and club activities - dad and I had years and years of fun with the club and still have many many great friends through such.  This car immediately struck me as an excellent buy and I will say again "pick-it-up" !  

When I say "Pick-It-Up" - I would call the dealer and ask a few questions, wire the money, have a transport pick up, and be happy first time I saw it coming out of the trailer  - this just struck me as that kind of car.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Steel frames/chassis  came to Franklin in 1928 on the long wheelbase models and were steel from then on until their demise in 1934. Bodies were all wood structural frame as were most of the cars in this era with a steel skin.

The 1931 series 153 deluxe I owned for 43 years had a Derham body on it and was built for the NY Salon (had a letter from Enos Derham to that affect)

Do not be intimidated because it is air cooled, the Franklin Club give great support and the 1930-34 cars can cruise along comfortably at 50-55 mph all day long no matter how hot it is

outside. I drove my 1931 over 50,000 miles in the years I owned it, and many decades drove to the Franklin Club meet 300 miles away, which took about 6 hours and it is held in August, so temperatures were often in the 80-90 degree range. Never a problem.

I totally agree with Matt Harwood.

The seller of this car; didn't ask to have it picked part.   He is simply selling what is presented,  that being the Franklin.

This may not be the case, in this particular conversation. Many times someone has commented on whatever, an automobile, or anything really; only to find that that comment was wrong.  There are certain running changes; on production lines that the public is never aware of.  Even book have been written on certain automobiles or whatever, only to find that certain change was on the automobile; or is an approved update modification. 

Even factory pictures, are known be be off a little.  Maybe because some of the pictures were, of prototypes.  We see different things on, a lot of vehicles that never made it to production.  

I honestly know nothing about this Franklin, and I am not calling out the poster that made the observations.  Just the practice of some people inserting themselves into something that is none of their business.  The owner of the Franklin didn't ask  anyone to judge his car; on AACA standards, or Franklin standards either.

I just think it is better to wait to be asked before making such comments.  

There is no reason bash me , I'm just making a general comment.    

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I also agree with Poverty and both Johns. I come here to learn about vehicles. The Buick Bugle editor (BCA magazine) tries to point out all the incorrect items in pictures so they will not be used incorrectly as examples for future restorers. Research is part and parcel of the AACA. Why stymie it in an AACA forum?

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, John_Mereness said:

When I say "Pick-It-Up" - I would call the dealer and ask a few questions, wire the money, have a transport pick up, and be happy first time I saw it coming out of the trailer  - this just struck me as that kind of car.

John_Mereness,  I followed your instructions to the letter, and today had the predicted result!

Andrew

Franklin 2017 Oct 24.jpg

• Like 4

I am certainly not an expert on Franklin automobiles. But put a model T Ford out there, and I can pick it apart with the best/worst of them. A few other things about nickel age and horseless carriage era cars I can do pretty well picking at also. A lot of things are not marque specific. 

Maybe I missed something? I know I didn't follow this listing closely the first time about a month ago. But I don't see any postings picking at this car above. Not by a "John" or anybody? Maybe the posts got deleted?

As for the picking at cars thing? Sometimes, it is intended to be educational. On the model T forum I spend too much time on, we get into debates on this subject a lot (I usually avoid those debates because all too often they turn into p!$$!ng matches (pardon the language)). Many people do make good arguments for keeping the mouth (fingers?) shut. The discussions for and against picking cars apart often get much more vicious than the car picking ever does. That is something that does bother me, a lot. The T forum suffered a bad batch of that earlier this year. It resulted in quite a few good people leaving and not coming back, including a couple of the most respected early brass T experts. Rumor has it (moderator wisely refuses to confirm this) that at least one person was banned from the forum.

Please, play nice.

That said, I do think that the educational aspect sometimes outweighs the damage to  a listing. Unfortunately, we don't often enough get to see so many good pictures showing so many details of such a fine car as this. Not here. Not on the T forum. It does benefit the hobby to discuss those details, so that many of us can learn the difference between years, models, and body changes.

Perhaps a lot of us need to get into the habit of posting such pictures just for discussion's sake. I would say that includes me, but circumstances have me with no cars worthy of such discussion at this time. Hopefully, I can get that changed in another year or two. (Been trying to for awhile now.) Then I will need to figure out my new camera! (Stupid program is a royal PAIN to upload onto the computer!!!!)

I have always had a fondness for Franklins. My dad had one when I was about 4 to 6 years old. It was his dream to restore it, and after he sold it, he always wanted to get another one. This particular car looks wonderful to me! (But I would be curious what someone said was wrong with it?)

Akstraw, CONGRATULATIONS! It is beautiful!

And believe me. I have been in this hobby long enough to know, and seen enough show cars, and totally ready to tour cars, to KNOW, that no car is perfect. Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

• Like 1

Yes, the post has been deleted.  We are not allowed to know what was wrong.

"Wrong" might be somewhat judgmental if my memory serves. If someone had pointed out similar small detail discrepancys regarding my very old cars , I would consider the information useful and constructive. That way I can be on the lookout to make my car more authentic. There are too few real experts to assist everyone in all aspects all of the time. I found the insights interesting , definitely aware of AACA always serving as a fantastic reality check. I don't think anything takes away from this being a very fine car , extremely well done , and a whole lot of fun for the money ! In MY OPINION it was small detail that anyone should like to know , and in my OPINION the info would not materially affect the sale. Again , just my opinion.   - Carl

The car is SOLD.

If folks who had issues with the Franklin and did not to buy it because they did not like the car or did not have the money to buy it - they should refrain from letting their fingers do the talking on the forum unless they have actually seen the Franklin in person during the time it was for sale.

I saw the car in person - I transported it - I have also hauled a lot of other classic cars over the years - it was a nice car.

End Of Story.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)