KEY Question

g-g-g0

I am trying to get a key made for my '52 Buick. I thought that the numbers stamped on the bracket that supports the arm rest (behind the door panel) were the "code" for cutting a key. So I go to a local locksmith and he pulls up the code but the blank that it calls for is not the "B 10 " blank that is correct for that period GM car.

So my question is, am I correct in assuming that the code on the bracket is the number I am looking for? Is there a number on the switch itself? The locksmith has been around for awhile but could his data base be incorrect? Is there some one that could recommend a vendor that they might have used?

Appreciated any input.

Thanks,

Gary

The door cylinder is easy to remove, take that to the locksmith.  I believe all 50-53 Buicks used only one key, my 53 was that way.  My lock cylinder on the glove box also had the code on it.

All GM 1935 to 1966 use a four digit code, starting with 8 or 9 as the first digit. And they use the B-10 blank (or B-11 in the pear shaped head for trunk locks, same keyway, just different shaped head).

I have only seen these four digit codes stamped directly into the pot metal of the lock cylinder, either on the outside of the cylinder (door locks) or the inner rotating cylinder (in the case of ignition locks).

If you PM me I can cut keys for your application.

Also, if you have a key, then the ignition is the easiest to remove to get the code. Just need a paper clip. I'm sure there are hundreds of You Tube videos showing how to do it.

• Like 1