Sign in to follow this  
Pete Phillips

1958 Buick wagon headliner bows

Working on my 1958 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon. It has the perforated particle board headliner with exposed plastic bows that are supposed to hold each panel in place. Caballero wagons have the same thing. My work on this car has ground to a stop because the replacement headliner panels and the replacement plastic bows all broke at the sides of the roof where it curves down. We laid them out in the sun before installing, hoping to soften the plastic, and I used a steamer to soften the particle board panels in hopes they would curve properly, but nothing has worked. I have a pile of broken headliner panels that I paid a lot for, and a pile of broken plastic headliner retainers which were far to brittle to ever do what they were supposed to do.

Question: What have others used? Could I substitute a set of exposed chrome headliner bows out of another '58 hardtop? The Limiteds, for example, have stainless or chrome exposed headliner bows. I can't recall if the Century hardtops have these. I would have to get two sets of bows out of a 4-dr. hardtop in order to have enough to do the back part of the wagon as well as the front hardtop portion. Open to all suggestions.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

IMG_2578.JPG

Pete,

I recently ordered new perforated panels for my Caballero from R.E.M., but they do not offer the retainers.

I have not been able to find a source for the plastic retainers yet.

57BuickJim and I are considering the construction of an extrusion die to produce the retainers.

Joe

• Like 1

My perforated panels came from R.E.M. but most of them cracked when I tried to get them to bend with the contours of the side of the roof, so I'm not going to go that route again. Waste of time and money.

Pete

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

My perforated panels came from R.E.M. but most of them cracked when I tried to get them to bend with the contours of the side of the roof, so I'm not going to go that route again. Waste of time and money.

Pete

Pete, did you soak or steam the panels?

I asumed they would need some convincing...

Steve Plunkett has a1958 Buick Caballero that is currently being shown at Coble Beach here in Ontario I don't know who or if it was restored.I have a 58 limited and yes it does have the chrome top bows to support the roof.Maybe you can google Steve plunkett at Fleetwood country cruise in in London Ontario

TP

• Like 1

Thanks, I know Steve and the people who restored his Caballero.

I can't remember if his headliner was done with the hardboard panels or with cloth.

I will double-check with his interior person.

On 9/14/2017 at 12:16 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Working on my 1958 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon. It has the perforated particle board headliner with exposed plastic bows that are supposed to hold each panel in place. Caballero wagons have the same thing. My work on this car has ground to a stop because the replacement headliner panels and the replacement plastic bows all broke at the sides of the roof where it curves down. We laid them out in the sun before installing, hoping to soften the plastic, and I used a steamer to soften the particle board panels in hopes they would curve properly, but nothing has worked. I have a pile of broken headliner panels that I paid a lot for, and a pile of broken plastic headliner retainers which were far to brittle to ever do what they were supposed to do.

Question: What have others used? Could I substitute a set of exposed chrome headliner bows out of another '58 hardtop? The Limiteds, for example, have stainless or chrome exposed headliner bows. I can't recall if the Century hardtops have these. I would have to get two sets of bows out of a 4-dr. hardtop in order to have enough to do the back part of the wagon as well as the front hardtop portion. Open to all suggestions.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

IMG_2578.JPG

Pete I believe only the 57 Roadmaster and 58 Roadmaster and Limited had the chrome bows.  I may have an extra set from a 57 but would need to either be rechromed or painted.  There are 3 and each is slightly different to fit the roof contour as it changes from front to back so you'd probably have to start with a set as a template and see how many you need of each style if you wanted to go this route.  I know of somebody that has more as well.  PM me if interested.

Pete, the only concern with using the 58 bows from the Limited or Roadmaster is that they are 70 Series vehicles and the roof width will be larger than the 40 series that you are working on. You might be able to coble them to fit, but not sure, because of the width issue. Just my 2 cents worth.