IT RUNS ! 1925 Buick coupe back to life !

J.H.Boland

After cleaning all the rust and varnish out of the fuel system and checking the ignition timing several times to no avail , I decided to check the engine firing order in the manual. Having owned several old stove bolt Chevies and checking a couple of online sites, I assumed that the firing order was 1-5-3-6-2-4. WRONG.It's 1-4-2-6-3-5 ! On correcting this ,it fired right up and ran like a watch. It was great to drive it out of the garage under it's own power for the first time.

Now if I can just get the vacuum tank to work..............

1925 Buick 4 Passenger coupe 002.JPG

1925 Buick 4 Passenger coupe 003.JPG

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, JayG said:

Beautiful.  And I love the color.  I've been looking for something that deep for my DB roadster.  Do you know the name or have a formula?  Jay

I wish I did ! I'd like to get some touchup paint for it. Some body shops around here have a scanning tool that can tell you the color.I will try to see if anyone nearby will try it on this car.

Jim

59 minutes ago, Budensor said:

I own a 36 I've been thing about a 20's. Maybe a 26 did they make a 26 in that Coupe model.  SUPER NICE LOOKING CAR ! 

Buick made this style- opera coupe,victoria,4 passenger coupe,call it what you will, right into the mid 1930's. There was a 1930 Victoria for sale here in SW Ontario.It needed a full resto but was very solid and complete.It was apparently used by rum runners during the prohibition era.There was a link to it on the buy sell section on this forum but it is NLA.

Jim

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Jim,  

Congratulations on getting it running.  Good to know that the firing order is different for these Buicks.  Your car really polishes up nicely.  Hugh

Thanks Hugh.

You'll be happy to hear that I'm getting a RF seat made.A friend locally had a jump seat out of an old 7 passenger touring car.It is lending itself perfectly to modifications to make it look just like the original '25 seat. I'll run a set of photos when it's done.

Jim

I added more fuel to the tank, topped up the vacuum tank and retightened the top tank screws.This time the tank seems to have cycled OK.I did a couple of laps around the yard and it sat idling for a while after that with no problems.Next is a road test !

• Like 1

Just read you got it running and great to hear.  The gentleman you provided me on the door handles sold me a couple that he thought were for the 1925.  Thanks for the information.  I am in the process of talking to one of the companies Hugh suggested on trying to cast the oval door handle and escutcheon.  When I get enough information and if I decide to have Hildebrand Designs cast will let you know.  Hugh recommended making out of bronze with steel shaft so this is what I am discussing with them.

9 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Larry & I both operate with the Boy Scout motto in mind.....  "Be Prepared".

The vacuum tank ran dry again on the first road test.I had the necessary tools and a gas can to refill it.It made it home and the vacuum tank refilled itself sitting in the driveway. It runs and drives nice other than that.

You might want to  check for leaks by using compressed air by taking an air hose at low pressure, 3 to 5 psi and putting the end into the filler neck of the fuel tank while sealing it off with a rag  and your hand.  If you have a leak sucking air  this will force gas out that leak.  Usually it is a poor seal at the gas tank end of gas line with the banjo fitting.  Leon

I just had the '25 out for a 4 mile run and it never missed a beat.The big nut at the pick up tube wasn't completely tight and more fuel was poured in the tank.

The two front tires went soft on the run however.Seems the fellow that restored it got a deal on "NOS" red rubber inner tubes.Some NOS components are best left on the shelf !

Jim

I keep a strap in my Jaguar trunk, the 2"web strap style with no hooks, just a loop sewn on each end.  It has saved my bacon numerous times.   And the towing company always wants to know what they are towing.   When I say it is an old car, they always say - oh, well we only trust 1 guy with those, and it becomes a super long wait.  Honestly, people like to tow an old car.  No one ever does it anymore, and its like catching a big fish for the tow vehicle.  Most everyone has a grin on their faces at the end.   

• Like 1