Unknown 1912 era car, ID requested.

Layden B

Mystery car has steering shaft for pitman arm coming out above the frame, thus a rounded cutout in the hood.

I have seen 2 bolt demountable wood wheels in a picture of a 1910 Marion race car. Wheels are probably from an outside supplier to the car manufacturer rather than proprietary to the car. Anyone have info on the wheels?

On 9/13/2017 at 2:51 PM, dictator27 said:

The most prominent Canadian car of that era  would be the Russell.  The only photo I can find has flat topped front fenders unlike the mystery car.

I doubt if the rear fenders are a reliable indicator because some automobile manufacturers offered both styles.

I do not think this is a Cadillac. It is circa 1912 or 1913. Pesto-Lite tank, demountable rims, two tone headlamps and general look of the car. This is an expensive car by look of the hood and the rear step by rear door. Leather strap on the hood. Could this be a Mclaughlin Buick?

2 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I do not think this is a Cadillac. It is circa 1912 or 1913. Pesto-Lite tank, demountable rims, two tone headlamps and general look of the car. This is an expensive car by look of the hood and the rear step by rear door. Leather strap on the hood. Could this be a Mclaughlin Buick?

I think not a Buick because of the hubs.

If it is a McLaughlin it's probably a 1912 Model 43. But I can't find a photo of one.  The steering box {and entire chassis} will be the same as Buick's Model 43 for 1912 so someone might have a photo or catalog illustration that will provide more info. Probably very few McL. 43 's built , do any survive ?  Like Buick they generally used Baker rims , but with McLaughlin the customer could probably order any wheel on the market.  The big model  McLaughlin's were pretty much made to whatever spec. the customer wanted.

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

If it is a McLaughlin it's probably a 1912 Model 43. But I can't find a photo of one.  The steering box {and entire chassis} will be the same as Buick's Model 43 for 1912 so someone might have a photo or catalog illustration that will provide more info. Probably very few McL. 43 's built , do any survive ?  Like Buick they generally used Baker rims , but with McLaughlin the customer could probably order any wheel on the market.  The big model  McLaughlin's were pretty much made to whatever spec. the customer wanted.

Greg in Canada

See my comments above as to why I reckon, not a Buick - mainly because of the wheels hubs.  Out of curiosity I searched Buick Model 43 and found this one which I notice has a 'bucket fill' radiator, something I had not noticed before on an early Buick. Maybe only on the 43?   http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/collector-cars/pre-war-classics/car-of-the-week-1912-buick-model-43

How bout a 1911/ or 12 Columbia ? Steering box details are correct . And hubs as far as I can tell very close. The one in the photo is a well known gem. However it was restored from a basket case many years ago and rebodied so some details could be slightly off.  Also the one in the photo is a pony toneau while the one in Layden's photo looks like a standard touring. This may also account for some of the body differences.

12_Columbia_Cavalier_4Psngr_Tr_DV-06-GCPB_01.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The unknown car has been identified as a 1911 Haynes Model 20 Fore-Door Touring. Standard wheels were non-demountable, it would seem that the 2 lug demountable wheels were aftermarket or perhaps special ordered ( or offered) thru the factory ( or dealer).

Here is another image of the same car/model.

There seems to be an artist touch up for the advertisement, the steering gear thru the side of the hood has been erased!

11 Haynes.jpg

Edited by Layden B (see edit history)
  • Like 1