The Angry Pilgrim

1966 - 1968 Riviera Console Veneer

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know what type of wood veneer was used on '66 - '68 Riv consoles?  Before my hospitalization, I had finished the templates for the laser and now I'd like to be able to finally offer these sets. From what I've observed, it's a light colored wood and seems to be something other than walnut. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

OK Riviera People: I got stuff from Bob and he does a great job. If someone can help him out it could be great!  Mitch

Wonderful news Bob. I get regular requests on where to source 66-68 console veneer.  If you can do the glove box emblem that would be icing on cake for many. Thanks for tackling this project. 

I believe this is an NOS piece so very little exposure to UV. By "plain cut" do you mean to say the veneer is not quarter sawn like the first gen cars? I assume plain cut would have irregular or curving grain and quarter sawn has straight grain? Thanks,

Tom

console-c.JPG

Tom,

Yes, "plain cut" walnut has an irregular, wavy grain pattern, unlike "quarter-sawn"  which is a straight, uniform pattern. Your pic of the NOS piece appears to show plain cut walnut. Thanks for the pic!

Jason,

I'm currently working on the glove box emblem(s) - both the standard "Riviera BY BUICK" & " Riviera GS".  I want to be able to offer complete sets, as faithful to the originals as possible, hopefully by the end of the month.

13 hours ago, The Angry Pilgrim said:

Tom,

Yes, "plain cut" walnut has an irregular, wavy grain pattern, unlike "quarter-sawn"  which is a straight, uniform pattern. Your pic of the NOS piece appears to show plain cut walnut. Thanks for the pic!

Jason,

I'm currently working on the glove box emblem(s) - both the standard "Riviera BY BUICK" & " Riviera GS".  I want to be able to offer complete sets, as faithful to the originals as possible, hopefully by the end of the month.

And I thought when I found my NOS glovebox GS emblem that they would never be reproduced?!? Oh well...

Tom