1966 - 1968 Riviera Console Veneer

Guest The Angry Pilgrim

Guest The Angry Pilgrim

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know what type of wood veneer was used on '66 - '68 Riv consoles?  Before my hospitalization, I had finished the templates for the laser and now I'd like to be able to finally offer these sets. From what I've observed, it's a light colored wood and seems to be something other than walnut. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Guest The Angry Pilgrim

Tom,

Yes, "plain cut" walnut has an irregular, wavy grain pattern, unlike "quarter-sawn"  which is a straight, uniform pattern. Your pic of the NOS piece appears to show plain cut walnut. Thanks for the pic!

Jason,

I'm currently working on the glove box emblem(s) - both the standard "Riviera BY BUICK" & " Riviera GS".  I want to be able to offer complete sets, as faithful to the originals as possible, hopefully by the end of the month.

13 hours ago, The Angry Pilgrim said:

Tom,

Yes, "plain cut" walnut has an irregular, wavy grain pattern, unlike "quarter-sawn"  which is a straight, uniform pattern. Your pic of the NOS piece appears to show plain cut walnut. Thanks for the pic!

Jason,

I'm currently working on the glove box emblem(s) - both the standard "Riviera BY BUICK" & " Riviera GS".  I want to be able to offer complete sets, as faithful to the originals as possible, hopefully by the end of the month.

And I thought when I found my NOS glovebox GS emblem that they would never be reproduced?!? Oh well...

Tom

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, The Angry Pilgrim said:

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know what type of wood veneer was used on '66 - '68 Riv consoles?  Before my hospitalization, I had finished the templates for the laser and now I'd like to be able to finally offer these sets. From what I've observed, it's a light colored wood and seems to be something other than walnut. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mr. Bob

How goes the veneer works?

Did you pass it on to Scanlan? The wood tone seems way too dark in Toms image, despite and considering UV fade.

Although I love walnut, I believe the original wood to be more close grained like (hi grade) oak. The walnut can have deep open "grooves" depending on cut. Perhaps I'm way off.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Edited by PWB (see edit history)