Automodello Riviera

Automodello 1965 Buick Riviera GS 1/24 scale resin model

Order from Automodello.com or call 877.343.2276

Priced at $299.95 (Astro Blue), $365.95 (Verde Green or Sahara Mist Tribute Editions), $449.95 (Regal Black Homage Edition), or $465.95 (Burgundy Mist, Flame Red or Arctic White Enthusiasts Edition), includes worldwide shipping and handling.

In July 2017 Automodello released a new 1:24 scale replica series of the 1965 Buick Riviera GS. While this car is well known in both collector’s circles and among the fans of the B grade movie, Roadhouse, the car has never been produced as a model in this scale before now.  While it seems an odd omission, the wait has been most worthwhile.

This 1:24 model is limited to a production run of no more than 299 pieces in Astro Blue over blue, a classic GM mid-sixties color combination. It is also available in the more exclusive editions ranging from 50 to just 19 pieces. This reviewer offers the opinion that the car looks better in Astro Blue, a silver-like hue that seems to accentuate the streamlined lines of the unadorned body. By the time this article reaches the press, color choices may be a moot point, as Automodello’s limited editions tend to sell out quickly.

Looking at the model from the inside out, the dashboard looks authentic. All of the gauges are fully legible in scale. There are correctly shaped vent window cranks, door latches and an ever-so-delicately shaped shifter nestled in the console. The steering wheel rim looks to be in perfectly correct scale thickness (a pet peeve of mine) with a wood toned rim that matches the rest of the interior wood details exactly. Details included in the door panels are phenomenal. Just the look of the power window and ashtray detail is astounding. Personally, I liked the black car with the two-tone tan interior best (the Homage edition) because it appeared to highlight the colors of the interior, bringing the crisp engraving to life in vivid detail.

While the interior is beautiful, and it is, it is the exterior of a Rivera where the car excelled. The model captures the visual drama of the real car perfectly. Bright work continues to be a very strong suit for Automodello. This model follows this tradition. Many of the exterior chrome parts are duplicated using excruciatingly thin photo-etched metal trim. Of particularly note on this model are the window surrounds. They are absolutely perfect renditions of the real thing. Other chrome tidbits such as the bumpers are beautifully rendered in brilliant chrome plating.  Photo-etched multi-layered grills are another signature item for Automodello. When they create a grill the mesh layers create real works of art. The grill itself could be a stand-alone model. Whether a trick of the eye or a reality, the illusion works very well. Upon close inspection, it is clear this is a multi-dimensional rendering of a complex and beautiful shape (the first two grills of this design appeared on an Automodello Duesenberg and later on a Delage), and is without a doubt, the best scale grill this reviewer has ever seen on any model of any kind.

The windows are worthy of note. They are crystal clear and are rendered in a plastic that allows an appearance of scale thickness. These windows are distortion free and there is no evidence of any adhesive anyplace on the model. This reviewer would like to know how that trick was achieved as I could use it when I build my own model cars!

The rule for Automodello offerings, paintwork was absolutely mirror smooth on all of the examples examined for this review. This was particularly evident on the black car with a finish one could almost fall into. This was no small challenge given the complex surface design of the actual car. Avoiding all evidence of thin paint or orange peel certainly required the hand of a very skilled painter.

While Automodello has gotten very good at replicating wire wheels in scale, the Rivera was not so equipped in 1965 (although it appears there were optional wire wheel covers that, in this reviewer’s opinion, were not really in character with the car). Fortunately for us, Riveras of the 60’s carried some of the most stunning pressed-steel rally wheels in the industry. Automodello has a set of beautifully rendered rally wheels shod with tires adorned with a correct width whitewall attached to each GS scale model. The wheel and tire combination is a stunning compliment to the overall appearance of the model.

As I have stated in previous reviews, it appears that the people at Automodello have made a point to raise their standard every time a new product is released. Their skills in the areas of photo-etched metal crafting continue to be state of the art. They have led the way in using molded resin, which has clearly become the standard of the modeling industry.

So, are there any flaws worthy of note? By definition, a model is a representation of a real object so it cannot duplicate every detail as scale modeling does not allow it. That being said, this model is about as good as it gets. To be candid, this reviewer could find no flaws of any kind on any of the examples I examined for this review.  As I have previously stated, Automodello’s offerings are not inexpensive but this reviewer believes they are worth every cent. These models are offered only in small production runs so they are almost instantly collectable and offer great visual satisfaction to the owner. I recommend them without reservation.