37 Buick 40 Special UJ needed

Mark Hatton

I live in the UK, and have two Buicks, a 48 56S and a 37 40 Special. I have got the gearbox off the 37 series 40, and have fitted new bearings etc, and have also fitted a new ring gear and clutch. Whilst the axle is off the car, I would like to get the Universal Joint rebuilt, as there is some play in it. Bob's Automobilia hasn't got a replacement web & bearings, and suppliers in the UK can't help with this. All have told me that new bearings are not currently being made. I really need to source a NOS item that somebody might have on their shelf! I'll pay any reasonable price. Though my UJ isn't terminal, access is difficult, as all Buick owners will know, so I want to address this whilst the axle is off. I use both Buicks as you would a modern car, so they each do more than 2000 miles a year. Can anyone help, or give me any leads??

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, you might try Hagen`s Auto Parts and Machine,   Puyallup, Washington 253 845 7020 (Pacific time) 9-5 mon-fri  or Email: sales@hagensautoparts.com another is Dave Tacheny might have a good used part, contact by phone only 763 427 3460 (Central time) 5-7pm., he parts out `36-`40 Buicks.  Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A person wrote in an old issue of the Torque Tube that he used a rebuild kit for a Model A that was an exact fit.  A Model A part is a lot easier to find than a Buick part, and a lot cheaper.  Mac's Auto has a rebuilt kit listed Part #: 28-24277-1 for $45.30.  I would assume you would have a Model A supplier over on your side of the big pond

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/model-a-ford-universal-joint-rebuild-kit-9-pieces.html

64-24277.jpg

Edited by bobj49f2 (see edit history)

Mark, another place you might try is OlCar Bearing Company, Southern Pines, North Carolina ph# 910 693 3324  FAX# 910 693 1943    George "The Bearing Doctor" Bachleda  He specializes in bearings and seals for antique, classic or special interest cars and trucks, all years... axle bearings, wheel bearings, transmission bearings, differential bearings, seals, u-joints, and felt/cork washers...  He has advertised in Hemmings Motor News for decades..  Tom