Cavalier MK2

35 Auburn 851 Cabriolet barn find

Recommended Posts

On 9/16/2017 at 11:38 AM, Cavalier MK2 said:

This should be interesting watch! Thanks for the link.

RE: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/auburn/851/2003316.html  Pretty nice car via photos - lots of small things wrong under hood such as ignition wires, coil, oil filter, misc detailing, and ... matched to such exterior as lack of proper center bmper bolts, detailing on hubcaps and hood script, and ....

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The engine number is on the ledge on the block around the area of the front port on the exhaust manifold - like a monkey you have to sort of climb in and look between the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold. 

 

I'll take a look when I can but I'm 99.9% sure it is the original block as my Dad had it rebuilt early on, not swapped. He got a good turn of speed out of it. I'm sure the speedometers on these aren't very accurate but he said it went over the ton on the flat road at Nisqually enthusiats tended to use for such things back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Cavalier MK2 said:

 

I'll take a look when I can but I'm 99.9% sure it is the original block as my Dad had it rebuilt early on, not swapped. He got a good turn of speed out of it. I'm sure the speedometers on these aren't very accurate but he said it went over the ton on the flat road at Nisqually enthusiats tended to use for such things back then.

The freeze plug style engine is correct for all 852 (The 5 plug is generally found and there is a 3 plug that is either transition between water jacket engines or is more tail-end production). As a sidenote you do see some 852's with waterjacket engines, but they tend to not be true 852's - the factory made a kit for dealers to convert their unsold 851's into 852's - the economy was bad and .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The freeze plug style engine is correct for all 852 (The 5 plug is generally found and there is a 3 plug that is either transition between water jacket engines or is more tail-end production). As a sidenote you do see some 852's with waterjacket engines, but they tend to not be true 852's - the factory made a kit for dealers to convert their unsold 851's into 852's - the economy was bad and .....

 

Interesting on the kit though. Do you know what was in it?

Does anybody know if factory shipping invoices to dealers were saved showing which cars went where? It would be fun to track this car's original destination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curti    208
21 minutes ago, Cavalier MK2 said:

This is a 1935 851 as the data plate shows. In fact Curt is pretty sure it is a earlier 35 from the dash.

Auburn plate 1.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curti    208

John, note the plug on the lower right of the speedo.  That is covering the free wheeling hole left over from the 34's. (early 851)    There is also another block that was used that has bosses cast into the RH side that was going to be used with a s/c similar to Graham.

We can discuss off line.

IMG_20170730_112648289.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Curti said:

John, note the plug on the lower right of the speedo.  That is covering the free wheeling hole left over from the 34's. (early 851)    There is also another block that was used that has bosses cast into the RH side that was going to be used with a s/c similar to Graham.

We can discuss off line.

IMG_20170730_112648289.jpg

Note: Oil Light is generally not found on an 852 (this is more an feature to 851 = that basically reminds you with a big red light that you just went around a corner - as I say in a sarcastic tone).  And, radio control is aftermarket.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the radio, banjo spokes and heater look like they were all dealer installed out of a Western Auto supply source. Makes sense really as the cars could be ordered without those items then dressed up at the showroom by the dealer mechanics to suit the local market and not pay the factory premium. This car was snazzy enough to get the punters in where no doubt they were encouraged into 6 cylinder sedans. My Dad added the dangling cigarette case,  I'm not sure about the fan but it is kind of neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Xander, I'm sure if it could talk it would be swearing at the long parking job. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell till 1936 if it got dressed up a bit for a showroom. When I get a chance I'll have the executors shoot a picture of the title. My 66 Volvo parts car is listed as a 67 by the state on a the title because it didn't sell till then but the numbers do show it was a 66. Not surprising as they didn't make 4 doors in 67!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now