Sign in to follow this  
CBoz

Great Classic Sedans

9 hours ago, Walt G said:

John, congratulations on getting the RR back on the road, it looks wonderful.

Walt

Thanks Walt !  I spent most of the the past two months and a week focusing on it mechanically - nothing really too wrong, but with any car that sits for extended time you have an extensive laundry list of items to rebuild or replace.  And, Vintage Garage has been a true blessing, as has Fiennes.  The cosmetics came out super well too - the car had not really been cleaned in 20 plus years and I anticipated the worse all be it turns out climate controlled storage for past 35 years made cleanup easier than anticipated. The most difficult parts to clean up were several pieces of brown German Silver.   And,  I polished all the aluminum under hood - that took some elbow grease as I doubt anyone had ever cleaned with any dedication (again  good storage matched to spending its entire life in gorgeous garages certainly helps too.  What was interesting is that I have never been a fan of green cars, but I literally bet 200 plus people told me they were in love with its colors.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

^^^ The famous 20-Grand, part of the JB Nethercutt collection. It's an absolutely exquisite example of modern machinery. It's my favorite. I've seen it in person and photos cannot do it justice.

It had suffered some damage during the Sylmar quake in 1994 when a large mirror in the salon where it was kept fell on it. It was skillfully repaired by the artisans employed by Mr. Nethercutt that maintain the collection.

John, what you state about your RR is nearly identical to what I have gone through with my 733 Packard since I bought it in June 2016!  Excellent/ideal  storage conditions (car was restored in 1980) but needed a thorough mechanical check out as it was very rarely used (previous owner said it was "to pristine" to drive) . Byron York and his crew in Ct. did the mechanicals. I did the cleaning - and like you, spent countless hours doing so. Car looked wonderful until you saw a 1/4 inch of neglected dust/grime from 40 years laying on every horizontal surface, cleaning the canvas top (it is a touring car) worked well but took hours and i followed the instructions that Eric Harrtz gave to do so that were printed in an article he wrote in the New England Region CCCA publication which was just published in the CCCA Bulletin.

the first time driving it down the road which only came this past June made me think - yep, this is what old cars are all about, going down the road and looking over that hood, hearing the tranny "sing". It's all good.

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

The greatest American closed car of all time (in my opinion) winning by a hair over the Car of the Dome.

Duesenberg SJ, Twenty Grand (1933).jpg

I suppose I have to agree with you, but it goes without saying I wouldn't kick either car out of my garage for leaking oil! ;)

2 hours ago, CBoz said:

I suppose I have to agree with you, but it goes without saying I wouldn't kick either car out of my garage for leaking oil! ;)

I have long since moved away from Southern California,  and my "contacts'  with JB and his staff.   In the years that I knew him and them,   my recollection was his cars were not allowed to leak oil......!

As a side-note,   I wonder if there is anyone reading this who is part of the "old bunch".....who remembers......the medium-dark-blue  '37 Packard V-12 Club Sedan now beautifully restored and on display.......and our wild ride in it down Western Avenue just before one of my equally wild friends sold it to Jack...?

• Like 1

O.K....I got caught......just got a phone call from one of J.B.'s old employees from the 'old days'.   Reminded me....Of course he knows that I know that the older type rear-main-bearing seals on just about everything pre-war weren't all that effective,  so the earlier the car and its technology, the more the oil-drip......Yes..I know they had drip-pans at San Sylmar.....!