Tight Lug Nut

victorialynn2

Can you still get a socket on the nut? If so a breaker bar with a 3 or 4 foot pipe should give you enough leverage to get it off.  The ax is not a good tool to use on any part of a car. It is meant for wood not metal. I feel your frustration but it just wasn't a good idea. Only other thing I can think of is a torch at this point. Good luck. You may be able to break the wheel with a BIG sledge hammer. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

There was a crazy video on youtube that might have been posted to here at some point.  Where you take a candle and a lighter and you heat up the lug nut I believe just enough so it will melt the wax.  The wax supposably follows the threads in and the nut magically comes loose.  It looks like it worked for the guy doing it,  but that's also if you can get something on the nut still and you didn't destroy the threads  so that the nut won't back over them which might have happened with the axe.  

I will say you probably felt a little better for a few seconds after the first few whacks though.  

I would search out the video to see the exact method if that's still a possibility.  

Good luck. 

I had this problem once and instead of banging my head on the wall, I took the car to Discount Tire and had them rotate my tires.  Guess what, my problem became theirs but they got the lug nut off while I was enjoying a coffee.  Thanks Discount Tire.

It is welded to the surface. because it is an a aluminum wheel. I have  a 4-runner with them.. I think I broke three lug nuts..during it life.. 

Still have the car.. Now I have steel wheels on it.. 

PS - I hope that picture is from the internet,, I do not see you doing that to a car tire.. 

4runs.JPG

At this point the wheel is trash, so use a chisel to knock-out a chunk of aluminum between the nut and the center hole to allow you to knock the wheel/tire from the hub.  Once the wheel is off you'll have more room to work.  At that point I'd try a small pipe wrench (with a handle extension if needed), since the more torque you apply, the harder it will bite.  With the wheel off, the nut should come free (as long as the exposed threads aren't totally destroyed).  If the stud snaps, that's OK too, it can be replaced (maybe a good idea anyway).

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

Unless a 63 Pontiac.

At this point think you just need an air chisel to break the wheel apart & remove, then a blue nosed wench to loosen. I'd be looking to either cut or break off the stud since it needs to be replaced anyway.

Worst experience was when I bought my travel trailer. Someone with a bigger air gun than I.Q. had managed to put 12mm lug nuts on 1/2" studs. Broke six of the ten studs getting them off so just replaced all. Didn't need any special tools, just 1/2 drive six point impacts 24" breaker (good name), and a six foot piece of pipe.

BTW +1 on PB Blaster. It works. Think is a touch better than Kano

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I would pound on a 4 way tire iron, either put something under the end pointing out or have someone strong hold it level then jump on the left side end or use a long pipe on the right side end and pull up, hopefully the stud will snap or the nut will come loose. The stud probably should be replaced now anyway.

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

There was a crazy video on youtube that might have been posted to here at some point.  Where you take a candle and a lighter and you heat up the lug nut I believe just enough so it will melt the wax.  The wax supposably follows the threads in and the nut magically comes loose.  It looks like it worked for the guy doing it,  but that's also if you can get something on the nut still and you didn't destroy the threads  so that the nut won't back over them which might have happened with the axe.  

I will say you probably felt a little better for a few seconds after the first few whacks though.  

I would search out the video to see the exact method if that's still a possibility.  

Good luck. 

The wax method works like magic. I tried it, it works.  You can't believe how smooth the wax makes turning the nut!

The only problem would be if those are the capsulated lug nuts.  I can't tell from the photo. There doesn't look to be any rust on the threads of the other studs, so as mentioned may be stuck to the rim.  I wonder if it would work the same way if you heat the nut up and try to get it to go between the rim and nut. 

Sometimes a fresh start/ perspective helps alot as well.  I know I've struggled with stuff before and left it.  Came back another time and in not time the job was done.  You just get physically, emotionally and mentally stressed to a point where walking away is best.   Of course choice language helps relieve some of this as well I've heard. ;)

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

VL2. If you use the break the wheel up method be sure to put safety glasses on. A piece of the aluminum can be very bad for your eyes. Ask me how I know - my fireman father in law decided it was a good idea to use his saws all on a piece I was working on slowly taking it apart when he got anxious!  Laser surgery is no fun but he owed me big time for a very long time! 

I bought a new 1990 Cougar that the dealer had fitted with wheel locks! Unfortunately they were steel and the wheels aluminum! Naturally they didn't use anti seize compound and when I brought it in to have the tires rotated, they could only get three of the locks off! Even the breaker bar couldn't get them to budge! Finally they had to torch the balky one off and ruined the wheel!

12 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

20431302_10214452923187358_3790913642157445604_n.jpg

If the pix isn't a joke (I think it is) I recommend you put the other lug nuts back on and drive the vehicle slowly to someone with a torch, impact wrench and common sense.

If it is a joke.........HAW HAW HAW.............Bob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

20431302_10214452923187358_3790913642157445604_n.jpg

11 hours after the posting you have probably already gotten this wheel free from the stud and car-part.com will be your easiest shopping for the closest place to get a good used wheel.

These things do happen and even people who have all the tools to make this job easy, don't usually have them handy when the tire goes flat 20 miles from nowhere. This is a little trick we use in road salt country where everyday, somebody, somewhere, has a nut stuck to an alloy wheel, or an alloy wheel stuck to the hub and they don't have, or can't wait for AAA.

When one is desperate, only one nut is stuck and the tinny little tire iron won't break it free, put a couple of the lug nuts on finger tight, drive a hundred feet and try that stuck one again. When they don't come free in the first couple hundred feet, park so the stuck nut is closest to the pavement, put all the nuts on finger tight then back them off a couple turns and rock the car from side to side, keep doing it and checking it until the nut breaks free. Don't know what will happen in the rest of the country, but in rust country the stud sometimes breaks before the nut breaks free and you get the same wheel pop you get when the wheel is stuck to the hub, so don't do this without the loose nuts on for safety.

• Like 2

Ok guys, I confess that I'm joking here. I knew you'd all try to come to my rescue. Please don't plan an intervention for anger issues! ???

Hopefully this made you laugh and not get too worried about me. I can be a brat sometimes. 

Thanks for always being so helpful!

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

Ok guys, I confess that I'm joking here. I knew you'd all try to come to my rescue. Please don't plan an itervention for anger issues! ???

Hopefully this made you laugh and not get too worried about me. I can be a brat sometimes. 

Hee Hee Hee.......... My kinda chick.....................Bob

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

Ok guys, I confess that I'm joking here. I knew you'd all try to come to my rescue. Please don't plan an itervention for anger issues! ???

You are indeed a saucy brat - thanks for the chuckle :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't always assume replacing a stud is a simple job.  Some front wheel drive vehicles have very little space between the hub flange and the suspension.  The hub needs to be pressed out of the bearings which requires replacing the hub and bearings which are all press fit even though some of it didn't have to be a press fit because the axle nut does the same retention.

You go girl!! That was good, but you should have played it up with a few more post. A picture with a few small useless wrenches would have added to the intrigue. 

Keep it up. Have fun. 

Unless of course you are saying it was a joke because you are embarrassed about the ax

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

You go girl!! That was good, but you should have played it up with a few more post. A picture with a few small useless wrenches would have added to the intrigue. 

Keep it up. Have fun. 

Unless of course you are saying it was a joke because you are embarrassed about the ax

Well, I was going to post... "You should see the rest of the car"!

I was afraid to upset you'all too much though. Hehe

Everyone should know by now that if I really faced something like this, I'd call a cute guy to fix it. I've never in my life changed a tire. Haha

• Like 1

I guess that we all think differently. Mindful that this is all just academic, my first thought would be to use a cut off wheel, seeing as the wheel and stud are already ruined. By cutting into the stud and remains of the lug nut at a right angle there would be a point soon enough where the nut could easily be split by a chisel. My point here being that a person doesn't have to unscrew the nut if he can split the nut. It's really just the same principle as using a "nut breaker", except that you are splitting the nut from the top, rather than the side. Those of you who have split nuts on occasion know that there is usually enough internal stress in the nut that it will sort of "jump" away from the threads of the bolt, or in this case, stud.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)