Car shows.

Guest alleyyooper

Guest alleyyooper

Of course yoiu have to wade thru all the new mustangs, Cameros and Vetts to see the older iron at the shows we have attended with or with out our 1985 Buick.

I guess that is to be expected since it is billed a car show no age restrictions on them. It does bug me when parking is by a permint and there are so many new Mustangs, Camero's and Vetts many vintage cars can not be seen at the show as they are turned away.

At a recent show A Mustang club showed up with about 50 tangs 2000 and newer, the people with vintage iron at this show revoted when they turned away a nice well respected fellow and hius 1930  Ford. Every one started packing up and left the show to just the Mustang club.

Talk at the near by shopping mall parking lot was to also boycott any other shows put on by this group in the future.

Sorry I tend to agree with most of what they (car/truck owners) are saying.

With this big of an area fine, when parking is limited to 300 or less restrict the age of the show car/trucks.

https://i.imgur.com/bH4Xo5i.jpg[/img]

:D  Al

Edited by alleyyooper (see edit history)

Recently attended a multi-make car show.  The category I was put into with my '91 Reatta was "1990 AND UP".  That's 27 years worth of cars.  Guess what ended up being in the category...brand-new/almost brand-new Mustangs, Camaros, Dodge Challengers & Chargers, and even a new Ford GT mid/rear engine car.  This is one of the reasons why I personally like attending BCA 400 point judging for both my '91 Reatta and '92 Riviera. 

• Like 1

I agree with Ship.  Every group seems to have trouble trying to place for the Reatta.  One time they tried placing it with Corvettes, than, as Ship said, with all 990 and over.  Told them mine was 1989 (even though it isn't, so they ended up putting me way on the "back lot" with "orphans" class.  Good thing I don't care about trophies and bonus was I met some nice people with a Henry J, and a few other interesting cars.  That made it a good show.

John

• Like 2

Guest alleyyooper

One show we attended the best in show trophy went to a 2012 red Mustang. 

There was a beautiful 37 Desoto there I though would get the trophy.  I don't expect a trophy our Buick needs a paint job bad and we expect the painter guy to call us any day he is ready for us.

Even then it seems the street rods pull the best in show trophy,s.

I just thing it is a shame some people are turned away with some beautiful car's and trucks.

:D   Al

These new cars at old car shows is annoying, but it's just another facet of the hobby.  Those guys are entitled to their space.  And when I used to go to car shows, often I never sat by my car.  I would go out and walk past those new cars while wandering around looking for, and at, the eclectic vehicles.  It was fun to find these gems hidden inbetween 50- 60 K toys. 

Now, I just don't go to many local shows at all.  I even don't go to many cruise in's.  I can't even hear my 56 run when I'm driving around and I've come to value the silence. And it's as loud as an electric car at the cruise in's.  I'm even thinking of changing the mufflers out on the GS cause it's too loud.   I just don't understand the attraction to all that noise.  And some of those guys just live for loud, louder, loudest!  Of more importance to me, is the drive.  If I'm going to start the old car I want to drive it more than 20 miles each way.  And I want to hear the radio and/or have a conversation with the passengers.

• Like 5

Every year there's a car show / cruise in the town of Ottawa, KS called the Ol" Marais River Run  About 50 miles SW of Kansas City on I-35.  No classes.  So many older cars, the newer ones get overlooked.  It takes place in the park next to the Marais des Cygnes River then moves to the town. For you non French speaking folks that's pronounced Marra duh zeen.  (Marsh of the Swans).  A baby swan is called a cygnet. :D

Here's a short clip by Dennis Gage from his classic car TV show that shows the fun and games to be had.  

http://www.myclassiccar.com/episode/21/05/

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hello, Here in Pennsylvania the antique plate issuing is quite liberal,if the car is 25 years old it can qualify for plates,I have been to shows and noticed cars that have far from being anywhere near original ,as they do not have to be inspected,I have often wondered how safe for the road these car are with all of the modifications done to them.These cars seem to the majority at most car shows ,however they are not antique cars. I also run into a class placement issue with a 1969 Porsche 912, it gets placed with the musclecars, My current restoration project , a 1949 Buick Super should be easier for them to figure out.I can recall when Model A Fords were the backbone of a car show now they are few and far between .

The local cruise in is often a pain. While they may have their place in "the hobby", buying a new car and taking it to a car show as special interest or similar is just goofy. Actually, I'm not sure what hobby they are in if they bring out their new daily driver to a car show. 

The last one I attended a few weeks ago was fun though. The feature club for the evening was the British car club so there was some neat stuff and the Skyhawk got a lot of positive attention. 

Its s not that I dislike the new cars or their owners, it just isn't what I expect from a car show. Now, when our local club puts on a show, it is 25 years and older, so we expect a different crowd and environment. 

• Like 1

I've entered my late model pickup in shows before simply because it was cheaper to enter the show than pay admission, and the parking lot for spectators was 1/4 mile away.  I wouldn't even think of doing that in a legitimate antique/classic whatever you want to call it show, but this one allowed anything.

19 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

I've entered my late model pickup in shows before simply because it was cheaper to enter the show than pay admission, and the parking lot for spectators was 1/4 mile away.  I wouldn't even think of doing that in a legitimate antique/classic whatever you want to call it show, but this one allowed anything.

Billy,

Years ago, my son and I drove our 29 Buick to see a local show held in a High School parking lot.  The parking crew waived us into the lot (assuming we were there to show our car) but we just slowly cruised through the lot, saw all the cars and drove home for lunch.  Ours would have been the oldest car in the show, but it just didn't fit in that kind of a car show.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here in this part of Pennsylvania, there is a lot of antique-car

activity.  In fact, there are multiple car shows to choose from

every week-end, whether it's one of the big Carlisle events,

a club show, a town fair, or a local show hosted by volunteer

firemen.

I tend to go only to shows with no street rods.  To many devoted

hobbyists, if there are street rods mixed in with true antiques, it's

not a serious antique-car show.  Some of the organizers realize this.

Our AACA region's annual show, for instance, is for cars 20 years old

and older.  Cars 20-25 years old have a "pre-antique" class, though

it isn't well populated.  We get quite a range of cars:

show overall.jpg

• Like 3

Actual antiques are few and far between in this area. When I moved here seven years ago I went to a "cruise-in" sponsored by the AACA chapter. There was a class for 1955 and older and there were two cars in it -- a 1935  Ford and a 1955 T-Bird. The rest were all rat rods, late models, muscle cars and who-knows-what. I haven't been back.

Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DLynskey said:

Actual antiques are few and far between in this area. ...

Don, where are you located?  One would think that

at least the sponsoring AACA members would have some

interesting pre-1955 antiques.

I guess the way for you to enjoy your hobby best

is to get several nice antiques of your own, so that

every time you go to your garage, it's your own car show!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I am at the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village / The Henry Ford Museum this weekend.  This is where the cars are displayed in the village and you can drive your vehicle around the village.  Not a static parking lot event.  This show is limited to cars 1932 and older.

Best show anywhere.

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival/

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 2017-09-06 at 8:49 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Even the cars and coffee are annoying.  Preppy or hipster driving their daily driving new vehicle that I can go to the car lot and see....

This is the one closest to me:

Was that a Rebel Machine in that lot of tuners? It was hard to tell since it wasn't "featured". 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Even the cars and coffee are annoying.  Preppy or hipster driving their daily driving new vehicle that I can go to the car lot and see....

This is the one closest to me:

Here's the future members of the AACA. ..........NOT!..... Unless the AACA, and others,  can induce younger people  to be interested in our cars the club will wither and die along with us and our cars unless it adapts to the changing landscape of both our young and our culture and proactively figures a way to be relevant in the future . The "we've always done it this way" mentality can only mean slow decline and eventual extinction............................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Just now, Bhigdog said:

Here's the future members of the AACA. ..........NOT!..... Unless the AACA, and others,  can induce younger people  to be interested in our cars the club will wither and die along with us and our cars unless it adapts to the changing landscape of both our young and our culture. ..........................Bob

So somewhere there was another thread about letting people be more interactive with cars.....  My first show last weekend, I let kids climb in and beep the horn.  They loved it.  The gentleman next to me with his fully restored car that left with two trophies, got inspired and started taking photos for families that wanted to sit in his car!   Not saying it's for everyone, but those of us that can/want to, should allow more interaction with the cars!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Here's the future members of the AACA. ..........NOT!..... Unless the AACA, and others,  can induce younger people  to be interested in our cars the club will wither and die along with us and our cars unless it adapts to the changing landscape of both our young and our culture and proactively figures a way to be relevant in the future.

Why do they need to be interested in our cars?  Why isn't it enough to be interested in their cars?  Because, ya know, an 1896 Duryea  and a 1971 Super Bee don't have much in common.  If the AACA umbrella can cover them, it can get a little bigger to cover some newer stuff as it ages.

Believe it or not, our cars were new once.  And when they were, did the old farts complain that the kids should be into covered wagons?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Why do they need to be interested in our cars?  Why isn't it enough to be interested in their cars?  Because, ya know, an 1896 Duryea  and a 1971 Super Bee don't have much in common.  If the AACA umbrella can cover them, it can get a little bigger to cover some newer stuff as it ages.

Believe it or not, our cars were new once.  And when they were, did the old farts complain that the kids should be into covered wagons?

Good point....   but if we don't open that door and allow people to get more interested other that walking through a museum, none of our cars will survive past us...

• Thanks 1

True enough. I should have said "the club as we know it" will wither and die. As to whether or not future generations will be interested in cars of any age or type is an open question. It's possible as cars evolve into self driving commodities the cars of our generations will become true curiosities and more collectable but there will be far less people interested in them and thus far fewer survivors.

If you follow the industry the current wisdom is that the majority of future cars users will not be car owners at all. He will buy "miles" as needed in cookie cutter devises formerly  known as cars that he orders up as needed

The industry has almost fully embraced that concept as the "future" and are actively moving in that direction. Futurists have been wrong before. We will see............Bob

27 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do fewer and fewer car shows every year.To me,many of these "shows" remind me of a Walmart parking lot. One day though,on our way home from a show ,we stopped at a grocery store with our '40 Packard coupe.A young father with his two preteen kids pulled up in front of me.I could see the boy,about 9,pointing excitedly at the car. As they were getting out of their SUV, I heard the dad say "why don't you ask the owner?". The youngster shyly came over and asked what it was and how old it was.I told him it was even older than his dad.He said WOW ! I let him sit in it and we had a nice visit.If we want there to be a future market for these old cars, we need to leave our "stuffed shirts" in the trunk.

Jim

• Like 10