'37 Data Tag Info?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but, I'm told this car is a 1937 however the delivery date appears to be 1939 according to the data tag. Could Packard have held some cars this long before delivery? Also, the tag shows an unclear first name but what looks to be CUNDIFF as a last name. Would that be the selling dealer in Riverside, CA.? And if so, does anyone here know anything about that dealer?

Thanks, Greg

01616_2dieDdtCfiI_1200x900.jpg

Guest SaddleRider

There are folks in here who may be able to tell you what kind of Packard you have, just by those numbers.   If you would post a couple of photos, front, side, and dash-board, I can be of more help.

1089 = '37 Six(115C) Convertible Coupe http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=828

" I'm told this car is a 1937 however the delivery date appears to be 1939 according to the data tag. Could Packard have held some cars this long before delivery?" 

Suppose the delay is possible but thinking not likely.

In the Packard dealer list on PackardInfo, only 2 dealers listed in Riverside - http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/dealer/ neither Cundiff.

Googling, didn't find a Cundiff Packard Dealership, not to say there wasn't one , instead found these interesting snippets.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=lHAqDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=cundiff+packard+riverside&source=bl&ots=tP9QID7Yfn&sig=oxHaoc02gv0VKxsoCMeOvC76gAQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvq4z264zWAhWHkZQKHc6TAZcQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=cundiff packard riverside&f=false  - click on blue tab in column on right, shows 2 Cundiffs moved to Riverside in 1874

http://www.tethercars.com/category/hawkings-cundiff/ -  with Riverside and Cundiff connections.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My guess is that a gentleman named Cundiff (or Gundiff) was the original owner and sold the car in 1939 to someone else and, as a "joke," had his name (the seller) embossed on the data plate, and the year of the sale, "39", embossed over the "37"on the data plate.  There were many dealers that did NOT stamp their name and/or date on the data plate when it was sold new.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SaddleRider

Just noticed something.....look at the "modern" screws used to fasten that data plate on to the firewall.   Is that "fishy"....?    Still waiting for front, rear, side, and dash-board photos if we are going to accurately identify what this car is.

11 hours ago, SaddleRider said:

Just noticed something.....look at the "modern" screws used to fasten that data plate on to the firewall.   Is that "fishy"....

Slotted screws were used from 1939-1950 for sure.  I'm not positive about 1937.  The font used for the model/serial is correct for a factory stamping.

Guest SaddleRider
13 hours ago, JD in KC said:

Slotted screws were used from 1939-1950 for sure.  I'm not positive about 1937.  The font used for the model/serial is correct for a factory stamping.

Guest SaddleRider

Just now, SaddleRider said:

13 hours ago, JD in KC said:

Again,  I wish the guy would post some photos of the car - again, front, back, and side...and we'd be able to help him know EXACTLY what he has. 

As for the data plates,  I trust you Packard buffs  ( see below)   are aware that 1938 production did not have the traditional data plate - it was a decal.   Almost impossible to find a number.  And 1938 was the first production year where Phillips head screws can be found.

I am not aware that  ANY data plates were stamped when Packards came out of East Grand Ave.    My understanding is the dealers were REQUIRED to stamp the data plates for warranty purposes when the regional/distributors turned the car over to dealers.

Yes, there was a "factory approved" die.    This one looks "legit".      As a side note,  I have seen all manner of die type styles on authentic Packard data plates, , so clearly not all the delivering dealers had the same die style.      I have never seen in all my years (more than a few !)  of messing with Packard products....a LEGIT   "un-stamped"  data plate.

By the early 1960's ....VERY authentic LOOKING data plates were available - lots of folks would replace the legit beat-up ones with the beautiful fresh "repros" to go with their fresh restorations.

Every once in a while at a car show,  some guy will come up to me and make some comment about my data plate - noting it sure LOOKS legit but could not be!   I should note that since they  ( I have two - one on each side of the cowl )   have been on since then - have a nice 'patina" together with some pre-war screws I found.  The guy then gets into arguments with folks who will tell him they sure LOOK authentic,  which dosnt go over well...since, again,  there are a few folks left who know that 1938 was the one  pre-war year there was no traditional Packard data plate....!

SaddleRider did specify "I am not aware that  ANY data plates were stamped when Packards came out of East Grand Ave."  He didn't say anything about the superior Packards that were built in Canada.:)

Guest SaddleRider
23 hours ago, Tinindian said:

SaddleRider did specify "I am not aware that  ANY data plates were stamped when Packards came out of East Grand Ave."  He didn't say anything about the superior Packards that were built in Canada.:)

Huh ?   The Packards assembled in Canada were superior to the ones coming out of East Grand Ave ?     I understand they included parts of Canadian mfg.   In what respect were the parts and/or the cars themselves superior ?