This Hershey Newb has Some Questions

midman

Well, after walking the rows for 15 years I'm going to try the other side of the fence. 

I got a vendor space this year (should have got two but too late now) and I want to ask some of you who have been at it for a while for some advice.

1. Is it worthwhile to set up and sell on Tuesday instead of Wednesday?

2. I am in the green field just to the left front of the Giant Center and will be commuting back and forth from home (35 minutes away from Hershey). I have a canopy with sides so would it be reasonably safe to leave the items there over night unattended (knowing there are no guarantees of course).

3. How much of a pain is it driving in and out each day (another reason I should have gotten two spaces- easier parking). Any sage tips for making it less difficult?

Thanks for your input,

Chuck

• Like 1

Tuesday can sometimes be a great day for sales. It may vary with the weather. I once had a great day of sales on a Rainy Tuesday. I have left most of my stuff out but covered overnight with no problems. Others have had some stuff stolen in the past. Driving in and out is not too bad, but my experience is in the Chocolate Field South. I assume the Green Field is similar.

I'm in front of the Giant Center and entry and exit are not a problem.  Plan to get in early though and it's a straight shot into the swap.  For you, you'll be driving in along Hershey Park Drive and it's a simple right turn at the entry to Giant Center at the traffic light.  Stay to the right and you circle around behind Giant Center and up into the swap meet.  Follow the signs and it takes you right around to the front of Giant Center.  Be sure to say hi to the traffic people and Hershey Region members as you come in - they are there every year and do a great job.  I know they appreciate your smiles and good morning wishes.  Yes, Tuesday is set up day so I encourage you to get set up.  You'll sell some stuff while you are working.  The early birds are certainly out looking for the treasures, many of which probably end up on other vendors tables throughout the week!  When departing, follow the exit signs.  As the week progresses traffic picks up and trying to leave early will take a while as you creep out towards to exit, but just be patient and enjoy.  I've actually bought a thing or two while stopped in traffic - right out the window of the truck!   You can cover your stuff at night.  I recommend at least taking the cover off the awning if you can if weather threatens and high winds are forecast.  Easy up type canopy structures do not do well in wind so plan on folding those up at night.  Bring enough plastic tarp and clamps/bungies to cover everything well at night.  If your neighbors are staying on site in a motor home perhaps they can help keep an eye on things.  Anything really valuable I recommend stashing in the back of your truck and carrying with you for safe keeping.

You're in a good spot there with good traffic and food vendors close at hand.  You'll enjoy the chance to sit and rest and visit with shoppers. 

Let me know if you are bringing any old spark plugs and I'll come over to check them out.

See you there,

Terry

• Like 1

Tuesday's great if you have early hard to find parts,if you have after the war stuff then you can wait,but I have had great tuesdays as well and not so great,seems like the people spending a lot of monies to come across the pond have figured out that they need to be hitting the pavement early to get there parts they desperately seek. moral of the story: Be Prepared for everything and secure your stuff meaning canopy. you don't need it flying into someone's 60k diesel truck next door and start out having a enemy neighbor. Good Luck!