Just bought a 41 model 61 fastback.

Lil Red Coupe

As the title suggests my wife has just bought a 1941 Model 61 2 door fastback. Some of you have probably seen it advertised for sale across the web.

It's just arrived over here in the UK and Beverly is extremely happy with it. 

It runs superbly and I have driven it up our lane to check that the transmission, clutch etc all worked and it performed superbly.

It has had a full rewire with the correct wiring harness, after slight alterations today to the rear turn signals/brake lights everything now works as it should apart from the temp and fuel gauge.

The only thing that lets it down is the paint which although looks great in the photos has been sprayed directly over the top of the original crazed and chipped paint and had absolutely no prep or trim removed prior to painting. This I will rectify in due course.

Could you guys help me pinpoint where the vin number might be stamped on the chassis as I will have to show this to get it registered over here.

Thanks in advance Paul.

Here's a couple of photos.

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

The serial number should be stamped on the top of the driver's side framerail somewhere, usually near the steering box, but I've seen them all over the rail. You may have to scrape grease and paint to find it and it might be faint, but it's there somewhere. I'm on my phone so I can't show you a picture but it may be tough to find. I'll try to post one later.

• Like 1

I found this for you.

The serial number is located in two places, on the drivers side of the engine block parallel to the firewall about 1 inch forward of where the the bell housing bolts on.  The same number appears on the top side of the frame near where the steering gear bolts to the frame.  Both areas tend to get quite dirty.  The best way to find them is to use steel wool and polish the area, then use a strong light.   If both numbers are not the same the engine has been replaced.

Here's a shot of a frame number on a 1941 Cadillac. Not easy to see, but it's by the lap joint just behind the steering box. Obviously we had to do some cleaning and scraping to find it. I use a brass brush and a ScotchBrite pad to bring it out with losing any metal. I'd say those numbers are about 3/16" tall, so they're small and you'll have to really look for them.

SerialNumber.jpg.40068e7b047ef90f06acebf3266a2f06.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...