buying a stude

kclark

6 minutes ago, keninman said:

Do you have an Indiana title that uses the engine number? If so then see if you can have this stamped into the frame / body or a plate mounted to the frame /body and use that. What they are probably worried about is someone swapping an engine which is probably quite common, especially with rat rods. 

I have a copy of the Indiana title as I have already turned in the original to start the titling process. I did buy a NOS plate from Steven Munts but I'd have to figure out how to stamp it with the engine number and where to correctly mount it. 

If I can get it stamped, I could always say that I found it under the seat and it must have been put there when it was originally restored in the 70's.

Edited by kclark (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kclark said:

I have a copy of the Indiana title as I have already turned in the original to start the titling process. I did buy a NOS plate from Steven Munts but I'd have to figure out how to stamp it with the engine number and where to correctly mount it. 

If I can get it stamped, I could always say that I found it under the seat and it must have been put there when it was originally restored in the 70's.

If NC is like Indiana then all you have to do is get a cop to verify the number is there, I can pretty much guarantee they won't care if you put it there or not. If they do show them the title or copy and the engine number. 

Just now, keninman said:

If NC is like Indiana then all you have to do is get a cop to verify the number is there, I can pretty much guarantee they won't care if you put it there or not. If they do show them the title or copy and the engine number. 

I have already talked to one of the local DMV inspectors, I have known him for over 20 years. NC doesn't use and will not use the engine stamp and he is a by the book guy.

As far as I know we don't have DMV inspectors here in Hoosier country. We have a form the police fill out to verify the numbers on the car match the title, city police if you live in town, sheriff's dept. if you live in the country. On these old vehicles that are so unlikely to have been stolen they don't seem to care that much.

You may have to get a lawyer and sue for a quiet title. When the court awards you ownership I assume the DMV will be forced to assign you numbers you can title with. You have your bill of sale and Indiana title, I can't imagine why a lawyer can't get this done pretty cheap.