On 9/18/2017 at 8:27 PM, starlightcoupe said:

If your fittings came apart without stripping and there are no breaches in the air line to the dash, I can see no advantage to fixing something that isn't broken, regardless of its appearance. I have no personal experience at refurbishing these units but, if you feel it necessary, or simply desire the peace of mind, I would recommend KM Lifestyle Mfg. http://mykmlifestyle.com/King_Seeley_Fuel_Sender.html

2dfb7285f67884a6e2f9346a651982ad_iiap.jpg

I was looking over the tank unit again. the air inlet is slightly bent but not kinked.  the airline and the fuel line turn just a little at the top of the "cap" of the unit. Would this affect the working of the gauge? Just wondering before I start putting it all back together. If it would, I would rather buy another or send this one off for restoration.

Again, I'm not the expert on the unit but, I would think any motion between the tubes and the mounting plate would simply be a spot for a fuel leak if the tank was overfilled, not impacting either the fuel pickup nor the gauge reading.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:01 PM, starlightcoupe said:

59b9ef9e15328_serialnumberplate.thumb.jpg.56b9695746aec3b820a4ab6ab341f0dd.jpg.6e329c8c602cd7a88d855b26f7d66492.jpg20170605_230259.thumb.jpg.938cd0ad216bcb23b7593da35b7e4d53.jpg.c99d9c72087e6c3233ec5953f143647f.jpg

The STAMPED Serial Number (1465019) should be the VIN number used for registration purposes. The EMBOSSED body tag (GLW-1 2960) should have never been used for registration, and I am unaware of any jurisdiction that ever did so. It merely reveals the model and whether it's a sedan, coupe, roadster, etc. It's entirely probably Patrick's hearse, being a coach built professional car never did have a Studebaker body tag; but the chassis (frame, running gear and cowl) never would have left the factory without a Serial Plate on the left frame rail behind the front tire. There are also casting numbers on the engine block and head, but these are simply casting numbers, NOT an engine number. The engine number, like the Serial Number, will be STAMPED in to the side of the block. Many jurisdictions at one point did register by engine number, but none any more.

starlightcoupe,

I was ready back over some posts including this one. I reread the above post and I guess I missed it. I have yet to find a Stamped Serial Number or an Embossed Body tag. But you state that "It's entirely probably Patrick's hearse...". I don't know who Patrick is, but what caught my attention this time around is the rest of the sentence, "being a coach built professional car never did have a Studebaker body tag...". If this is true and wish I could find evidence of this to show the NC DMV as I do have a Superior Coach Built Tag that is screwed to the seat with a Serial Number on it. If this is what was used on coach built cars, hopefully I can talk to the DMV and they will use this number to title it.

Well, the embossed "body tag", in the example shown GLW-1 2960, would have been attached at the factory to indicate the body style, ie. four-door, coupe, roadster, etc. Since yours was no doubt supplied to Superior Coach as a cowl and chassis only, there would be no body tag. But the body tag would have never been used for registration anyway.

Have you looked for the hidden Serial No., which I believe would have been, unfortunately, lightly stamped in the the right frame rail at some point below the right front door? That stamping was not deep and 90 years of rust may well have obscured it. I'm sure NCIS has sophisticated electro-chemical processes to reveal it. :(

20 hours ago, kclark said:

starlightcoupe,

I was ready back over some posts including this one. I reread the above post and I guess I missed it. I have yet to find a Stamped Serial Number or an Embossed Body tag. But you state that "It's entirely probably Patrick's hearse...". I don't know who Patrick is, but what caught my attention this time around is the rest of the sentence, "being a coach built professional car never did have a Studebaker body tag...". If this is true and wish I could find evidence of this to show the NC DMV as I do have a Superior Coach Built Tag that is screwed to the seat with a Serial Number on it. If this is what was used on coach built cars, hopefully I can talk to the DMV and they will use this number to title it.

Do you have an Indiana title that uses the engine number? If so then see if you can have this stamped into the frame / body or a plate mounted to the frame /body and use that. What they are probably worried about is someone swapping an engine which is probably quite common, especially with rat rods. 

6 minutes ago, keninman said:

Do you have an Indiana title that uses the engine number? If so then see if you can have this stamped into the frame / body or a plate mounted to the frame /body and use that. What they are probably worried about is someone swapping an engine which is probably quite common, especially with rat rods. 

I have a copy of the Indiana title as I have already turned in the original to start the titling process. I did buy a NOS plate from Steven Munts but I'd have to figure out how to stamp it with the engine number and where to correctly mount it. 

If I can get it stamped, I could always say that I found it under the seat and it must have been put there when it was originally restored in the 70's.

Edited by kclark (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a diamond drag engraver right beside my laser engraver, but I figured stamped would look more authentic. I was contemplating buying a stamp set from Harbor Freight.

2 hours ago, kclark said:

I have a copy of the Indiana title as I have already turned in the original to start the titling process. I did buy a NOS plate from Steven Munts but I'd have to figure out how to stamp it with the engine number and where to correctly mount it. 

If I can get it stamped, I could always say that I found it under the seat and it must have been put there when it was originally restored in the 70's.

If NC is like Indiana then all you have to do is get a cop to verify the number is there, I can pretty much guarantee they won't care if you put it there or not. If they do show them the title or copy and the engine number. 

Just now, keninman said:

If NC is like Indiana then all you have to do is get a cop to verify the number is there, I can pretty much guarantee they won't care if you put it there or not. If they do show them the title or copy and the engine number. 

I have already talked to one of the local DMV inspectors, I have known him for over 20 years. NC doesn't use and will not use the engine stamp and he is a by the book guy.

As far as I know we don't have DMV inspectors here in Hoosier country. We have a form the police fill out to verify the numbers on the car match the title, city police if you live in town, sheriff's dept. if you live in the country. On these old vehicles that are so unlikely to have been stolen they don't seem to care that much.

You may have to get a lawyer and sue for a quiet title. When the court awards you ownership I assume the DMV will be forced to assign you numbers you can title with. You have your bill of sale and Indiana title, I can't imagine why a lawyer can't get this done pretty cheap.