For The love of Cars on Velocity

1937hd45

Yes, however, as with most shows that begin at 10:00 pm, I managed to doze-off 20 minutes before the end...  :(  Up till then, I thought it was good.  This was obviously a UK television production, like the original "Wheeler Dealers".  It hasn't become popular enough yet for Velocity to justify moving production to the US so they can destroy it.  Oh, and I'm not worried about missing the ending -- I'll have 50,000 subsequent opportunities to see it again.  <_<

• Like 1

I saw the show and thought it was just OK.  What I would really like to see on a show called "For The Love Of Cars" is a restoration that includes the lesser known craftsmen and sources for components and hand made parts that are not available via The Internet.  Wheeler Dealers" did a few of these, but many more remain untold and undocumented.

I'm not really sure what channel that Velocity channel is in my area. I vaguely remember 403 or something like that.

I have been reading a really interesting book called The History of PI. Of course, tonight a 8 PM reruns of Wonder Woman are on. I'll set a book down for that.

I like the comment on enjoying one's own cars. Here's a thought. Once I was trying to help my Daughter with a project. My Wife accused me of trying to like vicariously through my Daughter. I thought about it and decided my Wife had a perception problem. I have know a couple of women who did. I was perfectly happy with my life and some nuances of my Daughter's life didn't appeal to me at all.

Now, back to these TV "personalities" or actors. Imagine the heinous life of a person who lives vicariously through characters on TV car shows. It makes you want to donate $19 a month to the SPCA to save them.

:Less than a dollar a day can help a total stranger from living the TV life of Jeremy Clarkson. Can one be more humane?"

Yes, I think these thoughts, write them, read Math history books, and silently compare my Wife to Lynda Carter on Saturday nights. And can feel empathy.

Bernie

• Like 1

Just about all of the present and past TV car collector/restoration shows have failed to hit the mark in some way.  Most have fallen dreadfully short of the mark, while others have seemed promising at times.  I have yet to watch multiple episodes of any show without encountering something that doesn't ring true, or strikes me as annoying.

The thing is, I'd LOVE for one of these shows to be worth watching.  I'm more than willing to give these shows a chance because I don't have a cherished antique car sitting in my garage.  I do have a garage decorated with various items of automobilia, but that's all.  It is highly unlikely I will ever own another antique car, much to my disappointment.

I've recently been watching a lot of YouTube videos.  Some of these have been really entertaining, but watching YouTube is nowhere near as user-friendly as using my cable TV remote to simply select a channel and pulling up the channel guide to see what's coming on in the next few hours.

Will there ever be a car collector/restoration series on cable TV that is worth watching?  To this point, it doesn't seem all that promising.  But, I'll keep hoping and looking because I will still watch some of the incredibly irritating TV series on the Velocity Channel before I get desperate enough to watch the likes of programming choices offered on networks like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX.  Those channels are dead to me, with the exceptions of some sports and news programming.

The worst TV car show I can imagine would still be preferable to watching the likes of something like Two and a Half Men or one of those insufferable daytime shows like Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer.  

And, regarding the show For The Love Of Cars, maybe I wouldn't like it if I had seen the entire episode.  Maybe I won't like some of the future episodes that will be broadcast.  In my earlier comment, I based my opinion on the last 20 or so minutes of the show.  I enjoyed the subject 1950 Land Rover, a car I've never seen featured on any other show.  I enjoyed that it appeared to have been restored to original specifications.  I enjoyed that the characters in the show, apparently from the U.K., appeared to be mature and thoughtful in their comments and actions.  

All things considered, from the small sample I viewed, it seems - IN MY HUMBLE OPINION - better than just about any other series I've watched lately.  

Man, this can be a tough crowd sometimes.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)

I remember seeing this episode where they restored the Series 1 Land Rover. The thing that impressed me was when they needed to get the seats reupholstered. They found a former Land Rover employee from the trim department from that era to do the work; he had the original master templates to trace the patterns, and not only that, used NOS 50's Land Rover seat material!

Most of the shows aren't worth a crap UNLESS they happen to get a car to actually restore which doesn't happen nearly often enough.

Most of them are lower this, chop that, throw in a GM crate engine and add a paint job and some fancy art work.

That formula gets old real fast.

I DID enjoy Cuban Chrome a LOT.

16 hours ago, EmTee said:

as with most shows that begin at 10:00 pm, I managed to doze-off 20 minutes before the end...  :(

15 hours ago, Dosmo said:

I caught the last 20 or so minutes of it, and I enjoyed what I saw.

That is an interesting coincidence. Between the both of you, you did not miss anything.

• Like 3

I think I only caught this show one or twice on TV and it was dubbed. I really enjoyed it. I have always been aware of body language and even though I don't speak Spanish, I watch a lot of Spanish TV shows. The body language really gives this show reality. You know, like eating a live salamander or dying when you know someone on the camera crew could give the guy a sandwich.

My Wife and I had lunch with one of the top Silver Cloud mechanics yesterday and I am stopping in his shop this week. The atmosphere will be a lot like this clip and VERY unlike what I have seen in US car TV shows.

Just guys working and enjoying what they do.

Watch this one and an American one with the sound off. One is what I am used to in a shop, the other is like a cage of monkeys with boxes and a bunch of bananas hanging from the ceiling.

I'm still wondering about the AACA arrangement with car show producers.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

The reason that Velocity channel is showing this show.  Is that the co-host of this show, Ant Anstead is the new co-host on Wheeler Dealers.  Which Velocity has take over production of and is changing it..  Lets hope for the better.  But I would not bet money on it.

2 hours ago, 76 Caddy said:

Does anyone like the new "American Top Gear"?  I tried to watch the new season premiere but didn't like the new guys. 

I couldn't watch the old American Top Gear, guys were too goofy, and the vehicles were of no interest to me. Bob 

Agree, have tried to watch two episodes now but cancelled the DVR. Got tired of hearing how often one was fastest in a straight line. Everything just seems staged. Current English one is not that much better. Maybe the original was so much better/irreverant that everything else just pales.

I just went to and entered a car show in my town. This was my first car show. As I walked around I was struck by the fact that a good 50 to 60 % of cars had LS engines with Corvette branded plastic covers. I blame Velosity for this. I get the modern power plant thing,way more HP for a given cubic inch way better fuel burn numbers. But these seem to be cars that are barely if ever driven. So I just dont get the massive cash outlay to have a car that is no longer original mechanically . Please dont be offended this only my humble opinon. BTW I do watch the shows on velosity and marvel at some of the creativity and floored by the seemingly open ended check books used to put these things together.

Thing is LS engines are now powerful/reliable/well known/easy to install. Cheaper than most rebuilt engines. Personally am a sucker for DOHC 6s so do not count but can understand the appeal of the LS to the not-so-wealthy. Computer cars are now mainstream and are a wealth of tuner programs for the LSs.