1963 Shifter Replacement

fxrspjc

I would try to remove the knob from the lever, it's a fine thread but comes off just like anything else that's screwed on.  Then remove the console cover; the die cast part and see what you can expose.  You'll have to do this anyway to remove the console but you might see what you can get to first.

I tried that already.  I was hoping I missed something.  Something I didn't notice.  Looks like the entire thing has to come out.  I did the 700R4  swap and I can't get the linkage from the 64 to work.  Forget the linkage from the 63.  I'm speaking of the linkage rods under the car.  I can only get P R N D that's it.  If I could even just get 3rd I could deal with it.  Shift Works has a conversion set up but It's not cheep. You have to change the entire shifter and convert it to cable.  I'm trying to figure what is going to be involved in swapping out the shifter.   After this conversion I need to be hooked up to  Intervenes for a month and the thought of taking the console out just may be enough to put me over the edge.  Where do I look up how to get the console out?  I'm afraid I'm loosing my mind.

• Like 1

I gathered up all of the parts necessary to do a 200-4R conversion and didn't like what was available.  I found that a shifter from a mid 80's Monte Carlo SS that had an o/d  transmission worked well.  The diameter of the lever is the same as the Riviera's.  It has all of the correct detents, you'll need to do some engineering on the neutral safety switch.  I never bolted it to the floor, but it looked do-able.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

You might also try playing with the geometry on the lengths of each arm, not the linkage, but the arm on the linkage.  Shortening or lengthening one or the other might get you the throw that you want.  Lengthening one would cause the linkage to move farther on tne other end.  Sometimes the only difference between two of the same transmissions with different codes is their application.  A transmission from a column shift car would have different "throws" on them than a floor shift transmission would. Might just be the length of the arm on the transmission.  Shorten it and you can engage all gears with a shorter throw on the other end.

Ed

Thanks Ed,  

I'll speak to my transmission guy about that.  If I'm correct I think he had to shorten the long rod because it went past the shift arm of the transmission.

Have you heard anyone speak of problems that have developed with the thrust bearings of there motor due to the crankshaft adaptors used in these Bendtsen's adaptor kits.  Just spoke to a guy that used one of the kits to put a 700r in a 67 Caddy.  He said that within 800 mi the thrust bearings in his engine were destroyed .  He said he thought it was due to the adaptor being a few thousands to long and it allowed the input shaft of the trans to allow the crankshaft to move a bit destroying the thrust bearings .  Have you ever heard of this?  I worry a lot.  I never heard of this or I would have checked it out before I had the swap done.  The story of my life! 

Thanks Ed!  

Have not heard.

The Monte Carlo shifter uses a cable rather than a rod.  The throw on the shifter and the arm on the transmission are correct geometrically and all of the detents are in the right place.  Should solve a lot of problems.  What was it about the Shift Works piece that you didn't like? 

Thanks much Ed!  Would you know anything about the color of the air filter housing.  I'm supposed to figure out the color and texture for the body shop that said they would refinish it for me.  Any direction would be helpful.  I already called Eastwood but they didn't have anything for me.  How could I look this up on the site so that I wouldn't have to bother anyone.  

42 minutes ago, fxrspjc said:

Thanks much Ed!  Would you know anything about the color of the air filter housing.  I'm supposed to figure out the color and texture for the body shop that said they would refinish it for me.  Any direction would be helpful.  I already called Eastwood but they didn't have anything for me.  How could I look this up on the site so that I wouldn't have to bother anyone.  

The air filter housing has a wrinkle finish to it.  We'll let your body shop figure out how to achieve that.  Here's a picture (Google images) of one that is the correct color.  The decals are correct but the base for the large Riviera Wildcat decal should be the same color and texture as the rest of the housing. The silver / black wildcat decal on the snorkel is also correct for 1963 only.   The orientation of the snorkel is wrong though; it should be pointed to the left of the power steering pump.  This one needs to go a little clockwise. 5:00 rather than 4:00.  There are tabs on the base of the housing and alignment features on the air horn of the carburetor to help you align it correctly.  Once in position, you cannot rotate the housing.  

1070-1963-Buick-Riviera-52

This engine needs some detailing but the housing is oriented correctly. (Google images)

eng_.JPG

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, fxrspjc said:

I did the 700R4  swap and I can't get the linkage from the 64 to work. 

Have you taken any photos of/during the swap? Would like to see them if you did. Would also appreciate your input/experience with it after it's finished and driven.

I have a couple of photos but not to many.  None with the trans actual out.  So far my biggest problems with the swap are the shifter and I have a problem with the ring gear being out of balance.  But my biggest problem is trying to escape FL. and get back up to NY before Irma gets here.  I put my cars up on blocks and I'm hoping for the best.  I'll post more about it after the storm.  I sure hope I don't loose my cars.  I have my Vette for 25 years now.  "Oh Well"

Hope to speak to you all soon!

Joe

On 9/5/2017 at 0:13 PM, RivNut said:

What's the housing situation in Cape Corals?  Linda retires next year!  :D

Ed, the housing situation in Cape Corals  is that there may not be any housing after this weekend.

Let's hope and pray the hurricane turns and is not a direct hit. Since Cape Corals is on the west coast of Florida, it is less likely to get wiped out than Miami is. Most forecasts have it hitting the east coast of Florida. This storm is a monster.....If I lived in Florida I would be long gone from there by now.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Just now, Seafoam65 said:

Ed, the housing situation in Cape Corals  is that there may not be any housing after this weekend.

Let's hope and pray the hurricane turns and is not a direct hit.

Perhaps I'll  stay here and deal with the threats of tornadoes.  At least their paths can be pretty much accurately predicted and they can be timed to be in certain areas.  They come and they go quickly.  Only a few moments of apprehension.  I have no idea what it would be like to endure one of those tropical storms. God's speed to everyone down there.  The mother of my son-in-law has already flown out of Ft. Meyers and is safely up here in Kansas City.