AlanM

SPARK PLUG COLLECTING

Absolutely!  Been collecting them for nearly 40 years now.  It all started with a cigar box under the seat in my Model A.  When I bought the car there were about ten plugs in that box and as I recall, at lease five were different kinds.  I was in the Navy and had a chance to continue my collecting there, picking up a lot of unusual early foreign plugs in the process.  A good friend in Michigan started a club, SPCOA (Spark Plug Collectors of America) and if you have an interest, it's worth joining up to keep up on meetings, plug info, history etc.  Their newsletter, "The Ignitor" is fantastic.  You will find old plugs all over the place - antique malls, swap meets, auctions, internet and through many other sources.  I've found them buried in old dumps and even had a fiend retrieve one for me from a sunken WWI German ship in the North Sea.  The great thing about collecting these is it's one thing that never seemed to get thrown away.  Many plugs were distributed only in local areas, which makes it possible to easily find something unique to your own community that nobody else has ever seen before.  I know of a lot of "shoe box" collectors whop have a few dozen interesting plugs, and most often among them there will be something even advanced collectors have never seen before.  The club has compiled a list of over 5000 different plug brand names made over the years and more are still being discovered. 

Just type Spark Plug Collectors of America into Google and you'll find info on the club, and let us know more about your interest in collecting plugs.  Here are a few of my Hershey discoveries from last year.

Terry

IMG_2958.JPG

Alan, like any collectable condition is an issue. While yours aren't in the best shape they could be a start for someone that wants to start collecting spark plugs. Perhaps some youngster might be interested, as plugs can be found in just about any swap meet and "commons" are cheap.

Bob, you and I have sure been collecting for along time and am glad to see you have some nicely displayed.

Yes, condition is something that's always important.  It's still possible to find NOS or near mint plugs, even some of he earliest.   Many different ways to collect and many of us started with gathering different names.  Now Im concentrating on the earliest.

Terry

I purchased a boxed set of 4 "Lynamite" spark plugs with "Tufstone" insulators, made by the Lydon, Mfg. Co. Chicago Il. They are in a very nice blue box and paid $10 in a local garage sale.

Tip for new plug Collectors: NOS plugs in the original box would be the best to add to any collection..........................HOWEVER, just because the box looks NOS, ask the vendor if you can open it. Many times back in the day a mechanic or owner working on his car would put the old used plug in the box. That great deal becomes something less once home and you open the box. Yes, been there done that. Bob

That's pretty neat.  Did you give it a brand name?  Here is my most WANTED plug - picture came from someone who says his grandfather found it in an old tool box.  Anybody got one I can trade for or buy???

Terry

Two in One Spark plug 3.jpg

Two in One spark plug 2.jpg

Terry, at one time I was trying to get a spark plug made in every state, had to sell off a lot of them to cover the motorcycle or a car project, might try to restart that collection. Bob

While we are on the subject, perhaps spark plug collectors could comment on these 6 Champion H10's with "Hudson" markings.  Not "old" compared to some, were from an early '50's tune-up, and stored in the proverbial coffee can.  They have cleaned up nicely since. 

MVC-182S.JPG

MVC-183S.JPG

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

1937, that is one cool spark plug. I have been playing with antique cars since 1962 and gone to every Hershey since 1968 and never saw anything like that. Do you know any history about the plug?

Bob, that has to be the envy of all spark plug collectors worldwide. I have many friends that are  collectors and none have  that "feminine" one like yours. Please, put  me on the  list of potential buyers.

9 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

1937, that is one cool spark plug. I have been playing with antique cars since 1962 and gone to every Hershey since 1968 and never saw anything like that. Do you know any history about the plug?

You've got one year on me going to Hershey. That "Madonna" spark plug is very special to me, it was a gift from a good friend Pete Wing, he gave it to me along with a can of other spark plugs years ago. We are coming up on the second year of his passing, a truly unforgettable guy. If you watch "American Pickers" they visited the Castle he and his wife built over a 40 year period. Here is a link. Bob

http://www.wingscastle.com/

2 hours ago, Seldenguy said:

Terry --I tried to contact you for your Email address , but was informed  you can not take messages ?  Seldenguy.

2 hours ago, Seldenguy said:

Terry --I tried to contact you for your Email address , but was informed  you can not take messages ?  Seldenguy.

Not sure why, getting email ok, try terryaaca@cox.net and that should work ok. You can also send a message through the forum

Terry