Correct carpet type for Brewster bodied Rolls-Royce??

Peter Zobian

Guest SaddleRider

There is no "correct" floor covering - these cars were  built to order, with the buyer being offered all manner of material choices.    My Phantom One Pickadilly had (and I know it was the authentic original)  a simple rubber mat.   Many closed "Springfield" Phantoms used American "Laidlaw" broadcloth for upholstery, and Wilton "moss-tread" for floors.   MOST but certainly not all open Springfields had leather for the seats and rubber mats for the floors.    May not be possible to determine what YOUR particular original owner wanted.   Bottom line - its YOUR car....what would please YOU ?

My Dover sedan has Wilton wool (it is available via Bill Hirsch and a host of other fabric suppliers) and there are commercial synthetic substitutes as well (via I hate keeping mothballs in an open car).  I always think of Mosstread carpet as more 1937 through 1940's Packard (it is like a thick velvet, but I see in earlier 30's cars more of a cut pile carpet).

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, Peter Zobian said:

Saddle Rider, there are modern rubber floor mats, but they look "modern". What type of mats did your SP1 roadster have? Any photos?

Unfortunately,  I gave the car up some years ago   (   did not photograph the interior  (plenty of exterior shots - don't know how to "post" them in here ) so I cant help you with photos that would respond to your comments.)

My best recollection is that the floor mat design was smiliar to some industrial / marine floor-mats I have seen - yes, you are right..."modern" style "off-the-shelf" mats would look way out of place in a Phantom I !