WTB - Firewall Vacuum manifold 68 Riv

Jim65Riv

That original vacuum manifold for a '68 Riviera was made from a poor quality, cellulose acetate type of plastic that did not age well, and cracked very easily, causing leaks in the vacuum system.  You can spot the cracks in your photos of your friend's original vacuum manifold !

I have only seen one NOS manifold available on 'evilBay' many, many years ago,  and it was priced way too high to justify buying  it !   

I replaced my original 10 port version with a much sturdier, black abs plastic, 4 port version - the GM part no. was #1239606, and it has two mounting lugs.

You only need three vacuum ports for most cars.

I used one of the original mounting holes in the firewall, and drilled a new hole to suit the smaller vacuum manifold.

It has worked flawlessly for 40+ years now.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

the GM part no. was #1239606

The Ebay listing I pointed out previously is for GM part number 1239606, as mentioned above. 

If you search eBay for number 1239606 you will find 3 different listings for this GM vacuum manifold. 

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Another GM part number for the replacement firewall vacuum T manifold is 1246004.

See Ebay listing 182731898267 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-75-76-77-Centurion-Riviera-Regal-NOSvac-tee1246004-/182731898267?hash=item2a8bab7d9b:g:1WoAAOSwBWdZn3mZ&vxp=mtr

and GM Parts Wiki site: http://www.gmpartswiki.com/ (search for 1246004)

Another of these T vacuum manifolds just showed up on Ebay for >$7.00 + 3.00 postage as a BUY IT NOW:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-VACUUM-FIREWALL-BLOCK-1239606/192290158815?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D2dedcf69a3f14262893896192d1a4cae%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D182731894930&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

If I had not already purchased one, I would get it. I am sure there is someone out there who could use an extra.

• 6 months later...

GM part number 1239606 vacuum manifold installed on the Aqua Zephyr today. 

The top left port is smaller than the other four ports. I plugged it with a small strip of double sided emblem adhesive then slipped the rubber port cap over it to hold it in place. 

I tested the lights several times and they go up and down in synch as they are supposed to. I used short sheet metal screws to secure the manifold to the firewall. 

20180317_111744.thumb.jpg.804400c5476220ab88c305aa0b1cdf08.jpg

I have a couple of extra manifolds available if anyone wants to purchase one. DM me if interested. 

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, 68RIVGS said:

Good shot Mike - that vacuum distribution manifold is a lot sturdier than the original, and you can utilize one of the existing screw holes to mount it.

It has ample vacuum ports for most Riviera requirements - GM # 1239606

I could have mounted this manifold in the original location but it would have meant installing another set of longer vacuum hoses. I don't want to do that.

All of the newer manifolds that I have seen have the smaller 5th port but none have had a rubber cap for that port. They have only had one or two of the larger port rubber caps. Thus you have to be a little ingenious to plug the smaller port. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Jim65Riv said:

C'est la variété que je cherche. Il n'y a pas de numéro de pièce dessus.

100_2660.JPG

100_2662.JPG

Hello, I am also looking for this plastic piece for my electra 69.
the plastic is fragile and it's broken.
maybe we can do it again with a 3D printer?

5 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Hello, I am also looking for this plastic piece for my electra 69.
the plastic is fragile and it's broken.
maybe we can do it again with a 3D printer?

See post #12. This is the replacement vacuum port for the fragile original ports. This is the one I installed on my 68 Riviera.

I have a few of these vacuum ports for sale with the rubber port caps, if interested. Send me a Direct Message.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, 68RIVGS said:

They all come with the large caps supplied Mike, but smaller aftermarket caps are available.

If you had the vacuum door lock option that would use the smaller port on the manifold.

I bought a bag of 5/32" small rubber port caps. I have a few of the GM # 1239606 ports with caps available if any one needs one. DM me for pricing with shipping.

22 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

hello, ok thank you, I will try to repair mine and if not I will send you a message.

You would be better off to buy a new vacuum port than try to repair yours, in my opinion. (I am not pushing a sale, just stating an opinion). These original ports are so fragile any repairs may not hold up. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, sebastienbuick said:

hello, ok thank you, I will try to repair mine and if not I will send you a message.

Sebastian, do yourself a favour and just replace the inferior original unit with a better example of vacuum manifold !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Jim65Riv said:

A friend is looking for the plastic vacuum manifold that mounts on the firewall  of a 68 Riv.  It has ten ports, three of which are used.  One is the main line from the engine, one goes to the vacuum tank and one goes to the heater controls.

Did you ever get a replacement vacuum port? I have a couple extra with rubber caps if you need one. DM me if interested.

• 4 months later...

On the "Me and my Buick" forum,  there is a thread titled "Restore my buick electra 1969."  If you jump to post # 406, you can see the beginnings of the manufacture of the reproduction of this part.  The repo is being made from steel rather than plastic.  The entire thread itself is worth following.  Lots of examples of what one guy with a few tools and lots of talent can accomplish in a country where Buicks are rare and he has to use an online translator to be able to post.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, RivNut said:

On the "Me and my Buick" forum,  there is a thread titled "Restore my buick electra 1969."  If you jump to post # 406, you can see the beginnings of the manufacture of the reproduction of this part.  The repo is being made from steel rather than plastic.  The entire thread itself is worth following.  Lots of examples of what one guy with a few tools and lots of talent can accomplish in a country where Buicks are rare and he has to use an online translator to be able to post.  

Ed, I can't find this thread. Can you provide a URL link?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, RivNut said:

This is a picture of the vacuum manifold the 21 year old Frenchman made for his 1969 Electra.  You can follow is skills on his thread My 1969 Electra on the Me and my Buick forum. 

That kid has some mad skills. I hope it works for him.