90 Conv in Walsenburg CO, red/tan, 170k, $3k, driver

vidsal

3 hours ago, Bushwack said:

Seller will include the undercarriage rust for free! :)

Why is it that people from California always assume any car that's not from Southern California is rusty? I own a car from Los Angeles ('91 convertible) and a car from Dever ('91 coupe). Both are equally rust free. The life it's had is more of an issue to me than where it's from. 

1 minute ago, NCReatta said:

Why is it that people from California always assume any car that's not from Southern California is rusty? I own a car from Los Angeles ('91 convertible) and a car from Dever ('91 coupe). Both are equally rust free. The life it's had is more of an issue to me than where it's from. 

I lived in Colorado for 3 years.  I saw how people treat their cars (especially during winter).  There's always the exception but the probability is significant that there is measurable rust on a 170,000 mile car.  I doubt it was driven only when the sun shines.

Salvage yard cars in CO are remarkably clean imo although that definition can vary.  They historically haven't used a lot of CaCl2 on their roads, but probably started to use more of it over the years.  Cars in the cities will fare worse.  I can sometimes put 700 mi on a car in one day so the mileage isn't as much a factor to me.

It gets more interesting...this seller seems to have several more besides the blue one seen over the conv, but in different locations maybe.   https://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/d/1989-and-1991-reatta-coupes/6233086855.html   Those two are in a double deep garage.  Per some simple research the owner, Chris, likely has a 1928 Durant 8-80 chassis in his stable.   Maybe he's on the forums someplace.  One thing is for certain.  If it had been kept outside instead of on those casters in a garage, it would be in far worse shape.

4 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

Chris confirmed and I believe I know - Colorado does not salt the roads and generally he said "rust free" Reattas are coming into the salvage yards around him. 

When we lived in Cheyenne Wyoming years ago, they did not salt roads.  In Iowa, they put salt on the roads, pre brine the roads. 

I disagree and let me be more specific: The streets in both Boulder County & Weld County used salt on the roads from 1995-1999 (when I was in Colorado).

I had a newly paved private parking lot damaged due to county vehicles parking in the lot (and not the grass lot next door as they were instructed).  Damage wasn't tracking (i.e.: tires or grates) but salt deposits and what looked like asphalt rust. It was a red/tan residue tint mixed in with the salt when applied that was suppose to allow the salt to work quicker.  County engineers tried to dismiss the cause. At my expense I had an independent consultant/engineer dig up random samples to test to make the determination.

Boulder County wouldn't admit fault but we did settle days before our court date with a substantial reimbursement check for repairs.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:09 PM, Dave Henneman said:

Walsenburg perhaps has 5 snow producing storms per winter. I live in SW Colorado near Durango and dug up a 1933 Cadillac cowl that was buried 2 feet into the ground and other than the lack of paint on the bottom, it was just as solid as the top.

That's cool!  I know the humidity there isn't much more than here in Santa Fe.  We dipped to 4% at times back in June and my spray paint jobs dried in a minute or less.