What's the better buy?

Laughing Coyote

I'm wanting to get general information on what would be a better buy. The 2 cars I'm interested in are a 1930 Ford model A sedan and a 1931 Buick straight 8 (4 door).  The Ford had a restore in the 80's, but needs TLC. (repaint on the fenders, new top material, general maintenance for safe operation. Does run and drive.) 

The Buick needs a full paint, interior needs redone, needs general maintenance for safe operation, new top material, does run and drive.

My questions are as follows.

1. Availability of parts and cost. (high, low, average)

2. Which one is a better return on resale if need be.

3. Which one will have the better ride and ease of operation. 

4. Difficulty of maintenance.

5. Any known problems with these types of models.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I've had both.  

The Ford is cheaper to own, it more reliable, and its easier to resell.  

The value of the Buick depends on the series that you have.  The 90 series is the most valuable, but expensive to rebuild.  Great driving.  Superb quality.  

Which is is best?  It depends a lot on your skill set, and dedication, and pocket book.  The Model A is a good place to start, but if you're very experienced, you may get bored with it.

In my opinion, it is an apples to oranges comparison. On one hand, you have a Model A....basic and primitive transportation that any guy who can get a tractor running, can work on it. On the other hand you have a roomy, high end, comfortable 8 cylinder car that you can drive smoothly in. Both have their draws, the Ford being the simplest and probably least expensive to maintain/fix. The Buick being a well engineered comfortable cruiser which may cost quite a bit to maintain/fix. 

• Like 3

Everything you would ever need for a Model A can be obtained, including sheet metal, sometimes even as new old stock.  The same cannot be said for the availability of '31 Buick parts.  However, don't rely on today's Model A parts being cheap, there are no more $45 rebuilt engines as sold by Sears in the '40's.   Properly painting and reupholstering the Buick would be pricey and would probably leave you instantly "upside down".  Both cars have lots of wood framing, so proceed cautiously, since both need top material and could have leaked look for decay and rust.  If either are prevalent you might want to look around some more. 

To me the question assuming you can afford either is cruising speed. Figure the Model A 4 cyl would be straining at local street speeds around here (mostly 45 mph). The Buick could stay with modern traffic.

Excellent comments so far. I am not sure if the Ford would be more reliable, if a car is well sorted out to start with then there should be no issue of reliability (especially the wiring, a lot of collectors ignore 80+ year old wire and think if it looks ok, leave it alone and it will be fine , it won't be) Both cars have excellent club support. I have never belonged to the Model A Ford Club but know people who do and they are very happy. The Buick Club of America I do belong to and they are just great. Join a local chapter if there is one, you will get amazing support and the friendship is wonderful.

How much work would you do on the car yourself? If you get the old paint cleaned off and the car in primer (even if it is from rattle cans in a sandable primer) you will save yourself a ton of $ when you give it to someone to paint. I totally agree about careful inspection of the structural wood framework for the body, if it looks bad and you do not have the tools or skill to make the repairs - walk away.

13 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Not good questions to ask. If you are serious in asking there is only one answer; buy the one you are impulsively drawn to. Those questions won't matter.

I have never fully enjoyed or kept collector cars that I canalized. Impulse over judgement every time.

Bernie

13 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Parts availability, Ford 10 Buick 5 (scale of 1-10)

Return on resale, depends how cheap you bought it and how much you spend on it. Fords are more saleable, Buicks more expensive. You are unlikely to recoup what you spend on either. How may used cars have you ever made money on?

Better ride, Buick. Ease of operation, Ford, at least it is lighter. Out on the open road you may prefer the Buick, in town the Ford is handier

Ford is easier and cheaper to fix.

Known problems, millions of them. You are talking about a couple of cars that passed their Best Before date when Roosevelt was in the white house and Katherine Hepburn was an ingenue.

Based on the questions I'd get the Model A. Not because of the answers to the questions, just the questions themselves. It sounds like the Model A you found is ready to go for the most part. One of my challenges is always finding a great deal on a project. Now I've always completely ignored the return on sale question. Unless you're buying something rather rare or already in resale condition but simply at the right price, I don't think there is much to bother with. Buy the car that's closest to the level you want it to be and start enjoying it sooner. Projects sit around for far longer than you would expect unless you have the time space and money to really dedicate to them. All that being said and without knowing more details... I'd probably buy the Buick because I like more interesting cars.

• Like 2

Lots of good answers so far for you. I would throw in that the cars you have listed. Are available for sale in the open market. If a person has decided on a 1930 Model A. Quick scan of the market will show a ton of A's for sale. I all ways look at the buying power of your money, and the make model of car. If 10K buys you a nice Model A sedan, will that same 10K get you into a 1930 Model A two door sedan, coupe or roadster. Maybe not in the same condition, but a better place to park your money. You are describing two cars that both need work. What is the cost of the work that is needed. As compared to throwing in a few more bucks on the purchase price. And buying a Model A that needs nothing. A big mistake I see people make is they buy a car because it is there. Figure out the year/make/model that you want. Post your wants on this site, and shake the bushes and see what falls out. You are all ways better off to pay a little more, for a car in better shape. Unless you have the tools/skills to do the work yourself.

The tone of the questions suggests you have little or no experience of old cars. And that you may have to hire someone to work on your cars. For these reasons I suggest the Model A. The Buick could be a nice car but much more challenging, and expensive, to put into good shape.

You may also be well advised to keep looking for  one that doesn't need anything even if it costs more. To have the work done that you describe can run into thousands of dollars.

If you're a rookie, don't buy a fixer-upper. Spend a little more up front and get a finished car you can enjoy right away. Figure your budget and buy the nicest, most complete, best-driving car you can get for that amount of money. Your questions suggest that you aren't drawn to any particular year, make or model, so simply shopping a price range will give you a lot of options to choose from. Either of the cars you have described will be upside-down in terms of value long before you're done fixing them up, so cross "investment" off your list of things that an old car can be. Buy for the experience and the fun and the memories you'll make with your family. Let the money take care of itself later. I might even recommend that you reach a little bit beyond your comfort zone for a really nice car, whatever your budget. Set a price, but be prepared to move up a notch or two if something really good comes along. Shop price, but don't make it your sole criteria. You can get a lot of car for not a lot of money if you can be flexible and patient.

I see in your signature that you already have a project going on. Don't take on another one, that's a great way to have two project cars and nothing to actually enjoy. The smartest thing I ever did was buy my 1929 Cadillac as a running, driving car I could enjoy right away, because I already had a garage full of car parts waiting to become a car again (a task I still haven't finished because life gets in the way). Two projects are more likely to stay as two projects than one project and one running car you can enjoy as you work on the other. I don't work on my '41 Buick project very often, but I drive my '29 Cadillac all the time. I like that part better.

Buy a complete, running, driving, ready-to-enjoy car. Have fun now. Forget profit. Win!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Once again my friend Matt Harwood has sage advice on what to own, and why, I couldn't have said it better myself!

Always make sure you have one car you can use and enjoy and create memories with while you work on the "project".

When you get frustrated working on your project you will always have one to take for a ride and then think, "that's why I am working on this other car, so it can go down the road like this one".

Here are the cars in question. As far as maintenance and doing things myself, that's not a problem. I appreciate all the info so far. Been looking at purchasing a pre war car, but don't know much about them. Yes I have one in work right now, but may want to have another in waiting that doesn't require a major restore.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/1930-ford-model-sedan/6256346538.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1931-buick-straight-8-suicide/6224867874.html

All good info and replies.

The Model A has been restored in the past, the work needed to bring it back to its former glory will be faster and  less expensive.

If the poster is counting time and dollars invested, the Model A will be the choice.

If the desire to resurrect a more luxurious vehicle  at a larger "out of pocket" investment, the choice is the Buick.

Antiques are fun AND rewarding ...... when everything is working correctly.

For me, I don't like the idea of chasing 1931 Buick parts, knowing Model A parts are readily available.

From a standpoint of initial investment, work needed, and parts availability,  I would have to go with the Model A.

Best of luck, Mr Coyote, whatever you may decide.

If they are both say 10 G as the A is advertised at,  I would pass.  There are alot of early 1930's Sedans that can be had for the same money in better shape.  As said by Matt , spend a little more even if you have to borrow a couple grand and buy a whole lot better car.  I see you are in AZ as well,  so there should be alot of options where you are or in neighboring states.  Atleast you won't be fighting Northeast rust.  That A honestly is about a $7500  car.  No idea on the Buick but I would say similar value. 

I would want the Buick for sure, but I assume it's cheaper given it needs paint, interior and who knows what else.

This '28 was for sale in my local area a year ago, I think it was priced at a little over $5k, not running.

Hauling passengers (family), luggage, overnight trips, even camping excursions make the bigger vehicle the choice.

Buick 1928.jpg

00j0j_iMejQpBhiAh_600x450.jpg00I0I_b5pZqVpwJqr_600x450.jpg

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/classic-1926-buick/6204753918.html

Is this one priced reasonably?

Classic 1926 Buick - $14500

CLASSIC 1926 BUICK 4 DOOR SEDAN
I STARTED THIS "CLASSIC FRIDAY JULY 21ST AT 1PM AND THIS 6 CYLINDER RUNS STRONG"
NEEDS FINE TUNING 
"A NEW HONEST BUYER"
I'M MOVING OUT OF THE AREA, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING AN
"HONEST CASH OFFER"
"CASH.......CASH.......CASH.......CASH.......CASH.......CASH.......CASH" 
THIS CLASSIC IS READY, ALL IT NEEDS IS A NEW OWNER WITH SOME EXCITING IDEAS
Dark Blue with Black Fenders, Straight Six Cylinder Engine
Very Clean Cloth Interior. Have Pink in Hand, non-op. 
Vehicle has not been on the Road since 1994, HAS BEEN STORED INSIDE

26 minutes ago, Aaron65 said:

I don't want to brag for Martin (Laughing Coyote), but he's restoring a '61 Mercury over in the "Projects" section, and his restoration skills are unreal.  He's certainly not a rookie like some on this thread have assumed.

Not Doubting skills,  as mentioned before though,  two projects in the garage aren't necessarily as fun as a driver to enjoy while you have the project car all torn apart.  

Those A's Xander found are where i would be looking if I was trying to stretch a dollar,  though in preference i wouldn't mind the Buick.  I would buy something like the A coupe or better yet an A pickup and drive it until you get bored with it and want something different.  You might not make much but I doubt you would lose any money on either of those A coupes or an A pickup.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info and comments. The coupes look nice and are out there for a good price, but the sedan offers more room for passengers and they wont be out in the elements while riding in the rear seat. I'm leaning more toward the model A and was thinking more around $7000 not $10000. I included others that may be a good project for someone. Davlet, go to the CL link and contact the owner of the Buick and see what he will let it go for.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1927-dodge-brothers-hot-rod/6249054171.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1929-chrysler-model-75/6221008854.html

https://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/d/1929-buick-3-window-coupe/6231286993.html

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)

just sold an identical A here in NJ 6 weeks ago. Only had one buyer and he bought. exact same color and condition. sold it for 8500. and wouldnt pay a dime more if I were you.

avoid the Buick. much more work for your skill set and a lot of wood. also anytime you want out- there is a buyer for the A and plenty of parts availability!

As others have said, the Model A will be an easier repair and probably easier to sell when you had your fun.  On the other hand, it really depends on what you like the best and what your goals are with the car since they are two totally different vehicles.  If you are solely going on cost, I would go with the Model A

1. Availability of parts and cost. (high, low, average)  The Ford Model A

2. Which one is a better return on resale if need be.    The ford Model A

3. Which one will have the better ride and ease of operation.  The 31 Buick 

4. Difficulty of maintenance.  The 31 Buick

5. Any known problems with these types of models.  All 85 year old car may give you problems.

Re-read all the answers, especially #13 and pick what you'll like when it's done.  There are to many old car guys that own what's cheap or easy and lust after better cars in their dreams. " I wish I had done that other car" .

We all have the woulda coulda shoulda storys. You should buy what you like so you dont have regrets later. I agree that a finished car is probably a better choice so you dont have two projects going on and can start enjoying the hobby while you work. Personally I think both of the cars your looking at are a little expensive for what they are and are too far from being ready to go to be worth the money.

• Like 1

You can see what I mean by the Focus analization with a photo of these 2 cars on my local craigslist.   The A is actually offered for 2500  more than the Buick. Not hard to decide where I would put my money.  Nothing wrong with an A.  I've had a few.   It just doesn't seem like you are getting any bang for your buck when compared to other offerings on the market. 

OK still one question: do you need to be able to cruise over 40 mph ? (Can't go a mile from my house without being in a 45). If so might look for something with more power/higher gears/juice brakes. True, all of this can be done to an early model A with brake conversion kits, high compression heads, and overdrive but was all stock just a few years later.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

A 1934-36 six cylinder Auburn sedan will cruise 65 mph all day long. They are well balanced and easy to steer. Parts are available.  Get one equipped with a Dual-Ratio rear diff.  The ACD reunion is next weekend, many will be there.