Ethanol Free Gasoline used in 63 Riv

Turbinator

If the octane ratings are the same, there's not much noticeable difference.  The biggest difference you'll see is if you let the car sit, evaporatin from the carb bowl, or your gaskets start to deteriorate because of the ethanol and your carb starts leaking.  You will notice a difference if you use higher octane fuels.  My $.02.

I did an admittedly non-scientific investigation of ethanol free gas in some of my travels the last couple of years.  I saw no increase in economy, and the butt dyno didn't register any greater power.  What I did find was that the marginal cost for that last 10% of gas far exceeded the base price for the first 90%.

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I did an admittedly non-scientific investigation of ethanol free gas in some of my travels the last couple of years.  I saw no increase in economy, and the butt dyno didn't register any greater power.  What I did find was that the marginal cost for that last 10% of gas far exceeded the base price for the first 90%.

Mr. Konga Man, I've had some bad luck with water in my gasoline I run in my small engines. I keep up our property with the numerous Stihl, Echo, and Gravely stuff. The water from the ethanol gasoline messes up the carb's and fuel lines. now I drain the small engines as often as I can and certainly at the end of the season for hedge trimmers and Snowblowers.

i figure with my luck I'd have problems with my Riv sitting around with ethanol gasoline so I haul the gasoline in my pick up and trailer about 100 gallons at a time. I drive up to PA and back to central Maryland and transfer to barrels I have on the ground. I keep the barrels dry dry. ( Maryland has  so m e crazy environmental regulations that make your head swim.)

im not in the ethanol free gasoline for power or economy, but for a hopefully better running engine. I could be wrong and just acting like an OLD Nellie, but it s e e m s to me everything runs better.

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

14 minutes ago, Sleep said:

The closest filling station to me is a 7min drive but they've got leaded gas for folks gassing up their watercraft and such. Should I use that stuff or just go for the highest octane available?

Sleep, if your car runs ok with the ethanol gasoline no reason to waste money. I get gasoline with water and my little small engines don't like it. I figure the Riv would like as high octane and less contaminants ( corn alcohol ). It's my personal opinion with no kind of study done at all. I was just curious to see what everyone might be doing.

thank you for your input.

Red Riviera Bob

On 8/19/2017 at 2:02 PM, RivNut said:

If the octane ratings are the same, there's not much noticeable difference.  The biggest difference you'll see is if you let the car sit, evaporatin from the carb bowl, or your gaskets start to deteriorate because of the ethanol and your carb starts leaking.  You will notice a difference if you use higher octane fuels.  My $.02.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:02 PM, RivNut said:

Ed, I'm not a scientist nor expert on fuels, BUT I'm getting a lot of bad gasoline in Maryland with water. My small engines were getting killed with the ethanol gasoline.

i learned how to keep the small engines and their carbs empty enough to get relief. The amount of moisture ethanol attracts is surprising. L o n g story short. I use ethanol free gas in my Riv and small engines. I've had better luck.

Red Riviera Bob

I have been adding octane booster when I fill up since the ethanol free gasoline I get is only 89 octane. I also put some lead substitute additive but I don't know if there is any benefit to adding it. What is the consensus on lead and octane boosters? 

On 8/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, NCRiviera said:

I have been adding octane booster when I fill up since the ethanol free gasoline I get is only 89 octane. I also put some lead substitute additive but I don't know if there is any benefit to adding it. What is the consensus on lead and octane boosters? 

Wish I could help on this question. It had occurred to me to put a lead additive in my gasoline, but not an octane booster. Around central Maryland there are the old type gasoline stations that have super high octane racing fuel they sell by the gallon. I heard once it was $8.00 a gallon.

Lead additive is not necessary. There's enough nickle content in the iron.  You'll never see recessed exhaust valves in a nailhead. Don't let anyone talk you you into installing hardened valve seats. You don't need them and chances are, you'll cut into the water jacket. 

Is there a difference between 91 octane rated "ethanol" based gas and 91 octane "ethanol free" based gas?  Isn't octane octane?  "PureGas" evaporates more quickly and causes gasket materials to break down over time, but the octane ratings are the same.  If you haven't rebuilt that old carb with new ethanol proof gaskets, perhaps it's time.