Home Made Trailer

I came across this thread on the Model T Ford Club forum recently and have been following it out of interest (concern).  The poster is making a car trailer out of a boat trailer.  I added my ten cents worth and still feel what he is doing is building a disaster waiting to happen.  I don't see much here that would lead me to think it's safe to use even with the light-weight Model T on it.  Posting here as a matter of interest thinking perhaps some you trailer experts might want to add additional comment/recommendations.  I think it's suitable for a light weight boat but any more than that is taking a big chance. 

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/780543.html?1503101422

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Here's a very possible scenario: 

Trailer collapses while under tow. The "T" falls off and careens into an oncoming vehicle. Major injuries to oncoming vehicle  and passengers. The carrier of the liability insurer sends an agent to inspect the carnage. Said agent takes a look at the trailer. About a week later an agent of the boat trailer, who's also being sued shows up to inspect the trailer. Followed by a structural engineer with cameras, a lap top and a lawyer.

In due course letters arrive from the "T"s insurer stating non coverage for damages or liability. Another from the trailer manufacturer advising of their law suit to recover their legal damages. A third from the struck cars insurance company suing to recover damages. And of course the "T"s owner's insurance company informing him that his 2 million dollar umbrella liability policy will not cover "willful negligence" followed of course by another letter dropping him.

"T"s lawyer advises he can counter sue but not on a contingency basis. Lawyer's  rate is $250.00 an hour but will require a $25,000 retainer, no guarantees. 

Facing ruin the "T"s owner files for bankruptcy.

Facing years of near poverty the "T" owner's wife decides to run off with the lawyer who has been handling the bankruptcy.

Wife gets the remains of the T as part of the settlement.

Husband gets the trailer.......................Bob

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2017 at 8:09 AM, Bhigdog said:

Here's a very possible scenario: 

Trailer collapses while under tow. The "T" falls off and careens into an oncoming vehicle. Major injuries to oncoming vehicle  and passengers. The carrier of the liability insurer sends an agent to inspect the carnage. Said agent takes a look at the trailer. About a week later an agent of the boat trailer, who's also being sued shows up to inspect the trailer. Followed by a structural engineer with cameras, a lap top and a lawyer.

In due course letters arrive from the "T"s insurer stating non coverage for damages or liability. Another from the trailer manufacturer advising of their law suit to recover their legal damages. A third from the struck cars insurance company suing to recover damages. And of course the "T"s owner's insurance company informing him that his 2 million dollar umbrella liability policy will not cover "willful negligence" followed of course by another letter dropping him.

"T"s lawyer advises he can counter sue but not on a contingency basis. Lawyer's  rate is $250.00 an hour but will require a $25,000 retainer, no guarantees. 

Facing ruin the "T"s owner files for bankruptcy.

Facing years of near poverty the "T" owner's wife decides to run off with the lawyer who has been handling the bankruptcy.

Wife gets the remains of the T as part of the settlement.

Husband gets the trailer.......................Bob

Do you write mystery novels too?

I enjoy the T forum, lots of enthusiasm.

I think this trailer is an accident waiting to happen.  Too light a frame, and all car weight suspended by u-bolts.  If you look at thread and pictures, in the side shot with car on it, you can see a bend in the trailer from weight.

Guess it was cheap, but some things you don't skimp on, particularly when public safety is involved...

• Like 1