Did any of these Chevys survive?

John348

Has anyone ever seen one of these Original Levelair suspension system cars that survived? I remember seeing one in at Hoffert's Junkyard in Shartlesville PA about 30 years ago. I just can't imagine many were even made on the Chevrolet platform, I would imagine that Cadillac had to have something similar. 

Scan0029.jpg

I believe they were offered on all GM cars in 1958 and 59. They were not too popular, probably not many were installed on Chevrolet and most were converted to coil springs when the air system proved unreliable and prone to leaks. If any survive intact I would be surprised although, in the old car world, anything is possible.

Later....... This one popped up 2 1/2 years ago, in one piece, not having been driven since 1971. It's an Oldsmobile though.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

There are some around though they are rare.  I recently had some NOS bags for one and there were atleast 3 people that really wanted them.   Whenever I come across Level Air parts they always sell and for usually good money. 

Do you recall where you sent the parts. I have been around these X frame cars for the past 40 years and only came upon a 58 wagon that was picked clean that had it. I came upon the book today and figured "hey why not put it out there" and see if anyone comes up with anything. I would love to see one in person. from the book it seems like water is the worst enemy to the system

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I think all of the times I have sold air ride parts,  they went to CA.  That's been a couple of  NOS switches, a  Ueed tank, and the NOS air bags.   Most of the NOS late 50's Chevy parts I sell go overseas or to CA. 

Same here any parts for 58-64 Chevy's I sold all go out to CA or overseas. One of the big suppliers of re-pop parts for these Chevy's told me if it were not for the low-rider guys none of this stuff would ever get reproduced

1 hour ago, Mark I said:

A 58 Limited with air suspension was pulled from a wrecking yard here in MN last year.

Mark

I can see the Buick having it,  more then the Chevy. I just would love to see a real working system on a restored car..