Correct 6 volt coil?

GrahamPaige29

Hi guys.  My coil for my 1929 Graham is pretty beat up and I'd like to replace it.  Even if it is working properly it looks terrible.  For a replacement, what am I looking for?  I get confused by the talk about resistor/no resistor/voltage/external capacitor etc.  It's a 6 volt system, positive ground, external resistor on the distributor.  Do you guys have a recommendation for a reasonably priced model?

You have to know whether the car has a positive or negative grounded electrical system (you can tell that by looking at which terminal od the battery is connected to the cars ground).
Any 6 volt coil will work and a decent auro parts store would have one. Chances are with a modern coil you will not need the resistor

Polarity of the coil does not matter, this is a matter of connecting the wires correctly, + and -. If your car has a resistor buy a regular 6v coil. Some cars with resistors had a 4 volt coil but I don't think they make them anymore. Any normal 6v coil for an american car.

An alternative is the Bosch blue coil made for VWs. It requires no resistor, it is built in and it gives a hotter spark than regular coils.