1965 Buick Riv interior color - astro blue

Jim Milewski

The blue interior was referred to as "blue vinyl", no special name was given.

The blue vinyl interior was only offered in the base interior with vinyl seat upholstery. No blue

cloth or blue custom  interior was available that year.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

This is how it is listed on the ROA website ...

1965 RIVIERA

1965 RIVIERA

CODES

EXTERIOR COLORS

CODES

TRIMS

A

Regal Black

Blue Vinyl

C

Arctic White

White Vinyl

D

Astro Blue

Black Vinyl

E

Midnight Blue

Saddle Vinyl

H

Seafoam Green

Green Cloth & Vinyl

J

Verde Green

Fawn Cloth & Vinyl

K

Turquoise Mist

Black Cloth & Vinyl

L

Midnight Aqua

Dark Green Vinyl

N

Burgundy Mist

White Vinyl

R

Flame Red

Black Vinyl

S

Sahara Mist

Saddle Vinyl

T

Champagne Mist

V

Shell Beige

Y

Bamboo Cream

Z

Silver Cloud

* Denotes Optional Custom Interior Trim

11 hours ago, Rivman said:

This is how it is listed on the ROA website ...

1965 RIVIERA

1965 RIVIERA

CODES

EXTERIOR COLORS

CODES

TRIMS

A

Regal Black

Blue Vinyl

C

Arctic White

White Vinyl

D

Astro Blue

Black Vinyl

E

Midnight Blue

Saddle Vinyl

H

Seafoam Green

Green Cloth & Vinyl

J

Verde Green

Fawn Cloth & Vinyl

K

Turquoise Mist

Black Cloth & Vinyl

L

Midnight Aqua

Dark Green Vinyl

N

Burgundy Mist

White Vinyl

R

Flame Red

Black Vinyl

S

Sahara Mist

Saddle Vinyl

T

Champagne Mist

V

Shell Beige

Y

Bamboo Cream

Z

Silver Cloud

* Denotes Optional Custom Interior Trim

The custom trim blue cloth and vinyl is missing from this chart!

Tom

Here's a link to the page.  Clarks website is not the easiest to navigate.

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?show_page=R-12

You'll notice that none of the colors have a "name" other than just the color:  Red, blue, silver, black, white, etc.  The three letter code in (parentheses) is what Clarks' uses to identify the color.  If you request a swatch from them, the (CODE) is all that you'll see written on the paper your swatch is stapled to.  I have no idea if that was a GM code of a manufacturing code from the supplier.  Doesn't really matter as long as you know your car has blue interior and it's a '65.

So in answer to your original question.  Your car color is Astro Blue and your interior is (just plain) Blue.

Ed 

I've got (had) 611 interior trim on my 64.  It's light blue vinyl with inserts of embossed light blue cloth.  A couple of months ago I saw a web page from an outfit which said they had that same cloth.

As to whether that was available in 65: who knows?  It might have been a standard option that slipped off the recreated lists that we usually reference.  If not, remember that Buick was a little more flexible re special orders in those days.

In '65, code #601 was for the standard blue interior and code #611 (missing from the chart) was for the custom interior.  Remember, in '65 there was a difference in the design of the seats between the standard and custom interiors.  In '63 and '64 the same seat design was used on both standard and custom interiors for each year.  In '63 and '64 the big difference was the door panels.  In '65 the difference was in the seat design and the door panels.  63 covers had the panels extending all the way to the top of the seat.  64 covers had a horizontal piece that went across the top that separated the panels from the top of the seat.  All 64 seats and 65 standard seats shared the same pattern.  65  custom seats had bigger bolsters and a totally different design.

1963 seat design

63rivierabkts_DI099097R_3.jpg

1964 (All) and 1965 standard seat design

_DI099103R_3.jpg

1965 Custom seat design.

_DI099111R_3.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Tom

OOPS!

I just copied and pasted the chart from the website, and didn't look at it that close.

I did look at Darwin's options articles and in it he does list the Blue Cloth & Vinyl as code 611 for 1965, it must just have been omitted on the website chart. I will contact Ray and see if it can be corrected?

SO, as Tom states, the Blue Cloth & Vinyl was left off the ROA website listing for 1965 but was an "Optional Available Interior", and 611 is the correct code for it, which was the code for 1964 too. 

19 hours ago, Jim Milewski said:

Thanks all, now my problem is, my 65 Riv has blue cloth pillow top seats, so would 601 still match? will check VIN plate later.

No! The blue vinyl in 601 and 611 trims is not the same, at least not on the seats and side panels (see below for an example of vinyl "mix") . The 601 vinyl is a metallic like medium blue and the 611 vinyl is more like a powder blue color without any metallic "sheen".

Sometimes Buick used materials that doesnt seem to make sense??? For instance, in the `65 models with the saddle interior Buick covered the knee pad under the glovebox with the champagne colored vinyl used in the Fawn cloth and vinyl interior??? Why didnt they use the same saddle vinyl as installed in the rest of the interior?? Who knows...

Also, the binding around the saddle door panels is a bronze color (not sure if this color was used in the earlier models?) with the `64 seville vinyl grain pattern, not the madrid grain pattern as used on the rest of the interior?

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Rivman said:

I will contact Ray and see if it can be corrected? 

Just an FYI...

I sent the info to Ray and he has sent it to the webmaster, not sure how long it might take, but the correction request has been submitted.

This is #601, correct?

BTW, how big of a nightmare would it be to convert a car from one code to another?  I absolutely love the saddle and fawn interiors, as well as the white ones, but looking around you'd have to replace EVERY single interior piece.  Unlike on a modern car where different color interiors might only be a few trim pieces, on these Rivs,  from the carpet to the headliner and everything in between is blue.  

This looks like it would be an absolute nightmare to do right?

IMG_20170521_131440985_HDR.jpg

3 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

This is #601, correct?

BTW, how big of a nightmare would it be to convert a car from one code to another?  I absolutely love the saddle and fawn interiors, as well as the white ones, but looking around you'd have to replace EVERY single interior piece.  Unlike on a modern car where different color interiors might only be a few trim pieces, on these Rivs,  from the carpet to the headliner and everything in between is blue.  

You would definitely want to grab a Snickers Bar before beginning because you would be there for a while!

5 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

This is #601, correct?

No, that's 621. Custom blue vinyl.  601 is standard blue vinyl.  Standard interior cars do not have the wood grain door panels, and in 64, standard interiors had black vinyl inserts in the console rather than wood. Look at your Fisher Body data plate. There should be a 621 following TRIM.

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

Not sure that is correct Ed?

Aren't those the standard seats, with the Custom interior door panels? There is no 621 on the website, and there was no 621 listed in Darwin's articles, so I am not too sure there was a Custom Blue Vinyl offered for 1965?

Probably a 601 code that has been modified a bit? 

The car that I'm seeing pictures of is a 64, Aluminum dash, straight bar steering wheel, and 63/64 style knobs.  There is a 621 code for 1964.  

https://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/colortrim/63-65.html

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom

The website has been updated, thanks for letting me know Tom.

Next time I'll try and do more research before posting info from the website.

12 minutes ago, Rivman said:

The website has been updated, thanks for letting me know Tom.

Next time I'll try and do more research before posting info from the website.

Randall, take it easy dude! Not a problem, thanks for posting anything from the website or otherwise. Just felt it wise to point out the omission before we "created" a special order GM exec show car shown at the underground Paris Playboy Club To Create A New World Order in `64....Lol...thanks again,

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1