1972 Centurion Convertible

JZRIV

I always feel that you should do it right the first time.  I looked at a beautiful Eldo a few years ago, the fellow had put a new top on it with plastic window, I walked away from the car because of it.  I knew I would never be happy with it and didn't want to replace an already new top (add to the expense).  That $300 or $400 he saved by going cheap cost him a sale. Putting a cheap top on this one now as a driver might be worthwhile, but what might it cost down the road in redoing it or trying to sell it. 

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

That $300 or $400 he saved by going cheap cost him a sale.

Not if someone else bought it.  And if they paid what you would have, "going cheap" netted the seller an extra $300 or $400.  In that scenario, the plastic window was a smart decision.

27 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Perhaps with a glass window he would have spent an additional $400 but he could have probably sold it for an additional $600 more and pocketed the extra $200.  ?

Unclear if that's true.  I don't think you can assume that every potential buyer knows or cares about glass vs. plastic -- but you can assume that they all see an extra $600 on the price tag.  That might drive away more potential buyers than a glass window would attract.

Having owned a couple of convertibles, I'd walk away from a plastic window every time.  My Riviera convertible had a glass window with the heated defroster lines across it.  Never once had a problem with it.  I replaced the top and paid extra for the glass window when I replaced it.

3 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Unclear if that's true.  I don't think you can assume that every potential buyer knows or cares about glass vs. plastic -- but you can assume that they all see an extra $600 on the price tag.  That might drive away more potential buyers than a glass window would attract.

I guess it depends on the caliper of the car, on a driver condition vehicle for someone that doesn't really care, that might fly for some, , but when you are buying premium cars a plastic window isn't going to cut it in a car that should have glass.  The Eldorado I spoke of earlier sat for sale an additional 4 months and I know the reason it sat was because people buying top tier Eldo convertibles expect to be getting what they pay for. He was unwilling to negotiate a price reduction for his failure to do it right. Well, after sitting the 4 months, he ended up taking a hit on the car as winter approached.    When looking at a car and then negotiating, you try to negotiate a price based on issues you see wrong to substantiate a price where the car should actually be, a nice car with a plastic window would be a full new top cut in price in my book. I think this happens in many aspects of restorations, people cut corners to save a buck and it bites them in the end when they can't figure out why their car won't sell for the same price as cars done right

There is a liner, or bladder (as some trim shops call it), that holds the rear window in place on these cars. The forward end attaches to the bow roughly above the back of the car's front seat. The rear attaches to the strip under the belt molding. The glass window is attached (thermal glued) to this bladder. It is completely under and separate from the top vinyl/canvas. This bladder/window "drape" can be purchased separately and can be installed with the main top vinyl remaining mostly in place. There are a few places where the main top has to be loosened by removing some attaching nails and the top does have to be operational (it is installed with the top partially down and then needs to be fitted/tightened with the top up). Adjusting takes a little patience (as well as moving the top up and down). Not sure what the cost of these liners with windows are but I would bet it would be a lot less that a complete top. Also a lot less work than a complete top replacement. Just putting this out there for information. I did have a trim shop replace one on my 74 Caprice. The car had a good back window but the liner was very worn and ugly to view from inside the car. The top itself was fairly nice. The shop replaced the liner and re-glued my original glass window into the new liner. Came out looking nice. (picture below - not of the top - just showing off my car) The scissor tops do have differences from "regular" convertible tops. 

1974 Caprice.jpg

Here's a question for those of you who own or have owned a convertible.  How many of yours have had a headliner in them?  My 84 Riviera did.  No bows are seen when the top is up.  It was the same burgundy color as the leather seats. Made for a nice sound barrier compared to others I've owned or ridden in.

Here's my convertible top with a headliner and glass window with electric defrost. It is an '86 Park Ave and appears to share a lot of parts with the '80's Riviera convertibles. It is also very similar the the H&E 1981 Eldorado I owned that also had the same features. My car was built by Car Craft who took over E&E in Lima, Ohio. So the non-GM built cars are where you see the headliners in these vintages.

I also included an exterior shot to compare to the Electra two door. There was extensive quarter panel work to add the quarter windows.

011.thumb.jpg.557f14b541c3e1c4b8566ba37fa3f5c0.jpg

020.thumb.jpg.9e7e68ab07a80e09ac95d5dcee2676ed.jpg

I have owned Chev, Buick and Eldorado convertibles from this time frame. 3 Eldorados (1972, 1973 and 1975), 2 Buicks (1974, 1975) and 1 Caprice (1974) have been relatively low mileage original cars. None have had headliners. I also have a 1984 Buick Riviera convertible and it does have the headliner. From my research I concur with Y-Job Fan that the 84 Riv was the first to have the headliner.

• 8 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 4:27 PM, Auburncoupe said:

If any member buys it and find that they need parts I have a rust free two door hardtop donor car that I am peeling apart.  Thank you.  

Sorry all I'm new to this - I'm restoring my grandfathers '72 Centurion.  I realize I won't get the money out of it that I put in but it's for sentimental purposes and for my father.   I actually learned how to drive in this car.    Does anyone know if this car sold? Also would parts be interchangeable, for the most part, with a hardtop four-door ...  trim, moldings etc.  appreciate anybody's insight and here is my number & email

jamesccalvin@hotmail.com ...610-909-1805.  Thanks advance for any tips 

Hi Jim:

You may want to start a new thread. New members often find the AACA Forum using google searches of the car in question.   Place an inquiry perhaps in the Buick General section or the Post War Buick sub-section. 

I can tell you that it does not matter if you may "get your money back out of" the 72 4 door Centurion, if it has sentimental value, go for it.  One of my best friend's mother in junior high in Cheyenne, Wyoming had a 1972 Centurion four door in that dark Hunter Green with Black Vinyl top and dark green brocade interior and I often look for that model on Craigs List and would love to find one to buy.  I could care less if it is a four door, they were classy nostalgic 70's cars with 4 door hardtop styling soon to go away. 

Trim specific to the Centurion would be door panels, emblems and seat fabric choices.  Maybe the grille (Smartin?) and this 2 door convertible would not help if you need interior fabric and door panels.  LeSabre 4 doors would offer many common components but we would need to know more about your needs, and photos help. 

You have come to the right place for assistance.  Also consider joining the Buick Club of America, $45 on-line or $50 gets you a great magazine with plenty of parts offerings, technical assistance and motivation. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)