JZRIV

1972 Centurion Convertible

This showed up along my drive to work. Could not see phone number on sign due to being behind a cyclone fence but if someone is genuinely interested I can check it out closer.

72 centurion conv.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/13/2017 at 10:26 AM, Centurion said:

This car is potentially a special order in Skylark / GS - exclusive "Heritage Green".

If an original special order car in Heritage Green, it is one of only nine produced in this extra-cost color.

Bryan, since you have been in contact with the seller, we'd love to be able to document this one.  If possible to obtain VIN, a photo of the Fisher Body data plate, and any interior photos, that would be great.  Feel free to respond via private message.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Jason or Bryan, I have someone who is interested in this car.  Is it possible to obtain a phone number or contact information for the seller?

Here you go Brian. The gate for the enclosed area is always closed but one day it was open so I zipped in. Though it was raining so could not take time to get a good look as I was getting pelted. From what I could deduce looking at door jambs, color is original. It has been painted but I could see what looked like original paint between the weather strip and door panel. At least with a quick once over. The car will need some work.

Unfortunately its been out in the heavy rain we have been getting this summer for 3 weeks now.

72 centurion4.jpg

72 Centurion.jpg

72 centurion2.jpg

72 centurion3.jpg

72 centurion5.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SBRMD said:

Jason, any idea what's happening with this one? 

It and the the other 4 cars all disappeared same day about 2 weeks ago likely for the auction that was to take place. No idea of its fate. Could try calling number. 

Guess who's back 14 months later - Looks worse for the wear. Like its been sitting outside the whole time. What a shame.

1972 centurion2.jpg

1972 centurion1.jpg

1972 centurion.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I keep telling people old cars dissolve in water but they think I am making a joke. Maybe it's when I say "You know, rain is water."

Didn't notice too much of a moldy smell when I opened the door but I only spent enough time to snap a pic. We have had record rain full this year in SW PA. Over 55" so far. Even a car sitting in a typical non-climate controlled garage will have some mold issues due to the damp weather. Nothing short of a miracle if the floors aren't soaked and rusted but if it was well kept before it was put out to pasture last year, "maybe" its still salvageable.

Paint is peeling on top of the right fender and it wasn't before. Besides the taped up top at rear window, this makes me think it has been outside. It just looks worse than last year but will say I did not notice any more bubling or rust through showing up on lower exterior body extremities. Not sure what happened to the license plate holder. I have not done a thorough inspection on this car.

I am scheduled to look the car over tomorrow AM Owner said he has had health issues and the car did not go to auction. Car has not been on the road in years and was stored inside a "damp" garage. I will report my findings.

Looked the old girl over this morning. It has been in the same family since new. His Moms. That is the positive...... car show 29K probably turned over, The air conditioning unit  is in the trunk, Trunk is solid with some rust around the passenger side wheel house. The car was painted years ago. ( original color) and needs done again. Last State inspection was 1984. Interior should clean up. The car (455 ) starts up and is quiet. All weather stripping is bad and the back window is taped in. Chrome trim is in need of replating. There is a hole rusted thru the front passenger side inner fender where the brace goes. There is water setting on the drivers side rear floor. I did not climb under the car. It was at his auction last year and did not meet his reserve price. He is hoping to get $2,000 for the car as it sits now. I was afraid to offer him $1500 so I didn't. If you just want an old  drop top to drive around in it wouldn't be a bad car. If you wanted one for restoration I would have to think long and hard

• Like 2

Would certainly be an interesting one to restore since it is a non standard Centurion color, it would have been a beauty when new in that color with the white top and interior to make it stand out.

I agree Paul it would make a decent driver. At least the price is coming down and with old man winter around the corner seller might come down more. Heck it wouldn’t hurt to offer $1000 maybe he won’t get any offers. With restoration costs so high it could quickly put owner upside down just in chrome and paint if a goal was not to get too much invested. At 129k even a basic mechanical resto could turn into an engine rebuild.

I hope it finds s good home. It tempts me twice a day!

Edited by JZRIV
sp (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The price seems great for a convertible (for other reasons also) but the catch is that the car is a convertible! I know prices vary by location and it has been a few years since I had a convertible top done, but the cost to have a quality top replacement has to be approaching the final cost of the whole car! I still think its a great deal but the buyer has to be prepared to double his investment almost immediately. If I was a Centurion fan this would be very tempting...good luck!

Tom Mooney

Drove by yesterday and the trunk was open in the pouring rain. No one around.:wacko: Would have closed it but the gate was locked

• Sad 2