1972 Centurion Convertible

JZRIV

Here you go Brian. The gate for the enclosed area is always closed but one day it was open so I zipped in. Though it was raining so could not take time to get a good look as I was getting pelted. From what I could deduce looking at door jambs, color is original. It has been painted but I could see what looked like original paint between the weather strip and door panel. At least with a quick once over. The car will need some work.

Unfortunately its been out in the heavy rain we have been getting this summer for 3 weeks now.

72 centurion4.jpg

72 Centurion.jpg

72 centurion2.jpg

72 centurion3.jpg

72 centurion5.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Didn't notice too much of a moldy smell when I opened the door but I only spent enough time to snap a pic. We have had record rain full this year in SW PA. Over 55" so far. Even a car sitting in a typical non-climate controlled garage will have some mold issues due to the damp weather. Nothing short of a miracle if the floors aren't soaked and rusted but if it was well kept before it was put out to pasture last year, "maybe" its still salvageable.

Paint is peeling on top of the right fender and it wasn't before. Besides the taped up top at rear window, this makes me think it has been outside. It just looks worse than last year but will say I did not notice any more bubling or rust through showing up on lower exterior body extremities. Not sure what happened to the license plate holder. I have not done a thorough inspection on this car.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Looked the old girl over this morning. It has been in the same family since new. His Moms. That is the positive...... car show 29K probably turned over, The air conditioning unit  is in the trunk, Trunk is solid with some rust around the passenger side wheel house. The car was painted years ago. ( original color) and needs done again. Last State inspection was 1984. Interior should clean up. The car (455 ) starts up and is quiet. All weather stripping is bad and the back window is taped in. Chrome trim is in need of replating. There is a hole rusted thru the front passenger side inner fender where the brace goes. There is water setting on the drivers side rear floor. I did not climb under the car. It was at his auction last year and did not meet his reserve price. He is hoping to get $2,000 for the car as it sits now. I was afraid to offer him $1500 so I didn't. If you just want an old  drop top to drive around in it wouldn't be a bad car. If you wanted one for restoration I would have to think long and hard

• Like 2

I agree Paul it would make a decent driver. At least the price is coming down and with old man winter around the corner seller might come down more. Heck it wouldn’t hurt to offer $1000 maybe he won’t get any offers. With restoration costs so high it could quickly put owner upside down just in chrome and paint if a goal was not to get too much invested. At 129k even a basic mechanical resto could turn into an engine rebuild.

I hope it finds s good home. It tempts me twice a day!

Edited by JZRIV
sp (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The price seems great for a convertible (for other reasons also) but the catch is that the car is a convertible! I know prices vary by location and it has been a few years since I had a convertible top done, but the cost to have a quality top replacement has to be approaching the final cost of the whole car! I still think its a great deal but the buyer has to be prepared to double his investment almost immediately. If I was a Centurion fan this would be very tempting...good luck!

Tom Mooney

That car is $20,000 away from being worth $6000. Buy it fix it drive it but dont restore it and you might be ok. Live with whatever rust is there and just clean everything else. If the motor is tired drive it until it gives up then dump it. How much is the best one in the world worth? $25,000? $30,000? Unusual color or not this car makes no sense unless your just going to use it mostly as is and are ok with the issues and dont care about fixing them. Otherwise its a money pit. Keep your expectations low and you will be all right. Wish for it to be a nice car and you will be constantly hurt by it. Id be insulted by a $1000 offer. Thats like going to a garage sale and asking if they will take 25 cents on something marked 50 cents just because you like to haggle not because you need to save money. The price is low enough that it doesnt make a difference in the long run. If it was $1000 people would say to offer $500. If you want the car give him something close to his asking price. It wont hurt you in the long run.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billorn said:

That car is $20,000 away from being worth $6000. Buy it fix it drive it but dont restore it and you might be ok. Live with whatever rust is there and just clean everything else. If the motor is tired drive it until it gives up then dump it. How much is the best one in the world worth? $25,000? $30,000? Unusual color or not this car makes no sense unless your just going to use it mostly as is and are ok with the issues and dont care about fixing them. Otherwise its a money pit. Keep your expectations low and you will be all right. Wish for it to be a nice car and you will be constantly hurt by it. Id be insulted by a $1000 offer. Thats like going to a garage sale and asking if they will take 25 cents on something marked 50 cents just because you like to haggle not because you need to save money. The price is low enough that it doesnt make a difference in the long run. If it was $1000 people would say to offer $500. If you want the car give him something close to his asking price. It wont hurt you in the long run.

Word!

3 hours ago, SBRMD said:

Word!

LOL,  how many of our restorations do make sense?  90% of the cars sitting on a showfield have far more into them that what they are worth.  

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

LOL,  how many of our restorations do make sense?  90% of the cars sitting on a showfield have far more into them that what they are worth.  

Yes...if it was only as an investment then half the old cars out there wouldn't exist anymore.  Look at it this way though... it's still a better investment than just about any new car!

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:29 AM, 1965rivgs said:

The price seems great for a convertible (for other reasons also) but the catch is that the car is a convertible! I know prices vary by location and it has been a few years since I had a convertible top done, but the cost to have a quality top replacement has to be approaching the final cost of the whole car!

OTOH, Hydro-E-Lectric sells a top for this car for $305.  It could be a great opportunity to learn how to install a convertible top. 

56 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

OTOH, Hydro-E-Lectric sells a top for this car for $305.  It could be a great opportunity to learn how to install a convertible top. 

I would not want my first attempt at installing a new top to be on any 1971-76 GM full size.  Many seasoned upholsters refuse to do them as they are quite difficult.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

Then why haggle for price? Why worry about what it costs to buy? Why is $2000 too much? The hobby doesnt make sense but everyone wants to pinch pennys just the same. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brad Conley said:

I would not want my first attempt at installing a new top to be on any 1971-76 GM full size.  Many seasoned upholsters refuse to do them as they are quite difficult.

Jump in the deep end or start in the kiddie pool.  Even if you make a hash of it, you're no worse off than when you started.

As pointed out earlier, this car (like 99% of all others) makes no sense financially. Might as well learn something while you're going broke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Brad Conley said:

Exactly, the scissor top is extremely complicated 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Go with the plastic rear window if you do.  These scissor tops have a tendency to bind up then collapse when lowering top, which can lead to shattered glass rear window.

3 hours ago, lancemb said:

Go with the plastic rear window if you do.  These scissor tops have a tendency to bind up then collapse when lowering top, which can lead to shattered glass rear window.

Have owned 6 GM's with scissor tops and have never had one break a rear window or even come close, if that is happening, then the top is not lubricated and adjusted properly.  

I have had 13 GM's with scissor tops. About half were purchased with broken rear windows (or with replaced plastic windows). Most common reason for the broken windows were people stashing luggage, spare tires or packages on the rear forward shelf in the trunk (done while the top is up). Looks like a perfect storage shelf. Then the driver decides to put the top down. The back window lays into this storage area (and due to the obstruction the window does not rest as low as it should) then the rails come folding down on top of it. CRASH. The window is broken. GM does provide warning in the owners manual but there are no stickers in the trunk area. Another common cause is the removal of the two small lever action arms that pull the bottom of the window upward and rearward as the top goes down. Not sure why but many are removed and the glass is much more prone to binding on the belt molding area and breaking. I have known one example where the top irons were binding on one side, the top frame twisted sideways and the window exploded. Having replaced several tops the job is not that difficult if there is no need to adjust the frame structure. Check alignment very carefully before any replacing. If the side windows do not line up into the top or the doors are sagging or binding be very careful. The body manuals do not give much direction to adjust the frame (particularly the large "arms" of the scissor mechanism). I have had a vehicle where the top had been twisted due to lack of lubrication. I was never able to get it aligned after freeing up the joints (I am a novice). As was noted many trim shops will not even consider these cars. I could find none to attempt adjusting the frames. BUT if the frame is straight and you are at all familiar with how a convertible top is installed I say go for it. As always measure twice, (maybe even three times) cut once. Parts for these tops are readily available. It would be a fun driver. Ben

Interesting, never see that on the Eldo forums as an ongoing issue, didn't see it on the old Centurion forum either when it was active.  Windows breaking because of stuff being in the way, well welcome to convertible ownership if you don't follow directions, that is of no fault of a top.  It seems like even you allude to the fact that it's not usually an issue with the top but more human error when replacing, servicing and packing.  Most plastic windows on cars that originally had glass is simply a cheap way out. 

10 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Have owned 6 GM's with scissor tops and have never had one break a rear window or even come close, if that is happening, then the top is not lubricated and adjusted properly.  

Well sure...it's not likely to happen if everything is in perfect working order.  That's kinda how it goes with everything.  But old convertible tops can get worn or out of adjustment, especially on a car that someone is buying on the cheap and perhaps not putting a lot of time and money into.

Glass certainly looks nicer too, I was just thinking along the lines of the suggestion that the car could be enjoyed without putting too much time and money into so as not to get too "upside down" in it if that's a concern. 

This happened on 2 of my dad's cars years ago, neither because of having stuff stored in the back.  Surely it's largely preventable with enough service, and careful lowering of the top, but my point is it's a risk with this top design that largely doesn't exist on most convertibles.

• Like 1