Electrical problem? Top switch doesn't seem to function

Guest SterlingArcher

Guest SterlingArcher

I have a 1990 TC.  Today I swapped the hard top off and deployed the soft one.  When I went to press the "Top" button to tighten down the softtop, it worked just fine.  I later went back to take the soft top down but found the the "Top" switch doesn't activate the release.  I thought it might be a fuse, but reading the manual, I was unable to see which fuse controls the mechanism at all.  Fuse?  Motor burned out?  Any suggestions?  Thanks all!

It sounds like you are referencing the same switch.  That being the case the switch seems like it is bad.  It is making contact on the down direction but a bad contact on the release direction.  I would suggest removing the switch and put dielectric on the contacts.  There is also in the trunk a hole in the carpet that backs up to the area where the soft top is stored.  It takes a 19 MM wrench and counter clock wise turn will release the pull down mechanism and clock wise pulls the pegs tight.

And to throw in here, I'd caution you about using the manual release over and over again on a regular basis, especially in the locking (pull down) direction,  it is NOT a very robust assembly.  I think the engineers designed it for emergency/sporadic use only.  

Guest SterlingArcher

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will look for the manual 19mm release you mentioned.

EDIT: That worked perfectly.  Now to test the bad switch idea is a little more difficult... I don't see how to gain physical access to it.  Clearly, I need to do it with the tonneau open, but still, there is hardly any room to access it.

Edited by SterlingArcher (see edit history)

Guest SterlingArcher
8 minutes ago, iceman8147 said:

The release is in the trunk.  You can use your tire iron -- left = lock, right = release.

If you open up the tonneau, you can "pop" the switches out the back.  I've taken mine out to test and need to replace.

Ah, I mean the electrical switch... Garnet & Gold suggested that the electrical switch could be bad or could have issues with the contacts, so I'd like to remove it to see if that is the case.  From what I see, all the wires and connections are intact so it very well could be a bad switch.

I have attached a picture of the back side of the 2 switches in the storage area.  Be careful not to break off the dog ears on each side when removing. Both switches are the same inside.  The wires coming to the switches are different. Switch the connectors and give that a try.  If that works for the pull down it is a bad switch. The tonneau switch only has to release the latches on each side while the top has to pull down and release.  Hope this helps.

Tonneau Switch Backside.jpg

Sterling, if you remove the bezel as described above, try connecting the pull-down connector on the OTHER switch.

It may very well work both ways then. If it does, relocate the 2 switches in the other's position in the bezel.  Got it???