1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Scott, on another note regarding fasteners you probably have some knowledge. The fastener studs that hold the tail light bracket inside the 63 Riv trunk are impossible to find. The stud is a combination size with one end threaded 1/4" 20 and the other end  10 32 size. 1/4 of the stud makes up a 10 32  thread with a nut separating the 10 32 from the 1/4" 20 portion of the stud. How do you make such a fastener? Pls remember I'm trying to stay away from liquid metal.🤓

There are many vendors that dismantle these old Rivs, are you a member of The Riviera Owners Assn ? The bi-monthly Riview is the association magazine that has a classified section in the back . Lots of vendors and great people to boot. Also the local machine shop is another resource if you have a sample. By the way, it`s better to start  a new thread or topic as it ruffles some peoples feathers if you "hijack" a posting with off topic stuff.

Edited by Scott Mckenzie (see edit history)

Barney Eaton    486

Antenna location on older cars can vary........put the cover on the car....get it centered front to back...side to side and with material up against the antenna mark as close as you can.

If the cover material is synthetic, a hot nail will melt a hole and the  threads will melt, on cotton cut a small hole.

For reinforcement....buy iron on knee patches for pants, apply one to the inside of the cover, ironing in in place is fine with cotton but you must be very careful with the heat on synthetic covers,

you might want to glue it in place.

RivNut    953
1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Scott, on another note regarding fasteners you probably have some knowledge. The fastener studs that hold the tail light bracket inside the 63 Riv trunk are impossible to find. The stud is a combination size with one end threaded 1/4" 20 and the other end  10 32 size. 1/4 of the stud makes up a 10 32  thread with a nut separating the 10 32 from the 1/4" 20 portion of the stud. How do you make such a fastener? Pls remember I'm trying to stay away from liquid metal.🤓

You use 1/4-20 All-thread for the whole thing and change the 10 32 nuts to fit the All-thread.

47 minutes ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

There are many vendors that dismantle these old Rivs, are you a member of The Riviera Owners Assn ? The bi-monthly Riview is the association magazine that has a classified section in the back . Lots of vendors and great people to boot. Also the local machine shop is another resource if you have a sample. By the way, it`s better to start  a new thread or topic as it ruffles some peoples feathers if you "hijack" a posting with off topic stuff.

9 minutes ago, RivNut said:

You use 1/4-20 All-thread for the whole thing and change the 10 32 nuts to fit the All-thread.

Ed, the 10 32 portion screws in the tail light mounting bracket that holds the bracket on back of the car.

48 minutes ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

Scott, Got it. Thanks for the heads up/tip on how a " thread" goes. Understood.

• Like 1

petelempert    42

I cut an antenna hole in my cover as follows: First, roll the whole cover out on the length of the drivers side only of the car and pull it taut across the front and rear bumpers, leaving it furled on the passenger side. Push the cover up against the antenna and mark the approximate hole position. Next, roll it over the front end of the car across both sides (passenger and drivers), keeping it furled and do the same. Finally, do the same procedure from the rear going forward. You'll end up with three dots in very close proximity. Punch the hole in the middle of all three marks. If you don't take three measurements, you'll end up with a cover that pulls one way or another. Take the "fabric donut" most covers include and glue it down with 3M 8008 weatherstrip adhesive. If you don't use the donut or glue that sucker down with something strong, you'll have a hole that tears and ruins the cover over time. One final OCD nerd trick...mark the front of the cover and sew a small amount of red ribbon on it...it'll help you find the starting point when you go to re-cover and prevent you from fumbling with a giant cover.  PRL

• Like 1

Seafoam65    157

Good advice Pete. When I cut a hole in my cover I was off too far towards the front by five inches. I now have a giant slot

where the antenna goes......one of the dumber things I have done.

• Like 1

KongaMan    125
28 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Good advice Pete. When I cut a hole in my cover I was off too far towards the front by five inches. I now have a giant slot

If that's one of the dumber things you've done, you have led a remarkable life.

• Thanks 1

Rivman    72

Mr Jones, I see you decided which cover to go with, just thought I would add to the topic some.

My sister-in-law used to sew car covers, mentioned it before on the forum I believe. When she had a car, mostly small sports cars, that had an antenna that did not go all the way down to level with the fender, she would sew in the pocket for the antenna.

As for covers, I agree with Barney that Covercraft are great covers! I bought one through GM for my ’95 when they were still available, I am 90% certain it is Covercraft brand. The fit is perfect! The one I got was for indoor/outdoor use and it did get used outdoors for several years. With it inside now it does a great job keeping anything and everything off the Riv.  There are times I do need to “dust” the car off when removing it, but overall a great cover. Pictured below.

Publication1.thumb.jpg.515328b90b4562bd7c8804f8446b3921.jpg

599351a119f5a_008(1280x960).thumb.jpg.fd5717136be6af807ec9d21e4115e8fe.jpg

As Barney stated, they have patterns for the first generation Riv, so I would bet it would be as good a fit as it is for my ’95.

For one of my 65’s I bought one of the XL covers from a department store and it does an adequate job. It is not in a garage but a 10’X20’ Shelter Logic shelter. I used it for a while with it draped over the antenna, then I decided it would not be that much of a problem, cost $30, and it would stay on better, to “poke” a hole in it for the antenna. It does stay on better with the hole, and is not noticeable enough with what dirt/dust it lets in.

Just thought I’d put out the options I know of.

• Like 1

Barney Eaton    486

The antenna "sleeve" is still offered by Covercraft.......however they will not install it without you first marking where you want it placed.....this involves them shipping you the cover, you mark it, ship it back, they install the sleeve,

ship it back to you and if you miss the location...though.  They will also include the sleeve with the cover order and you can install.   The sleeve looks cool but is a pain.

Pete in #31 mentioned he marked the front........I have a different option.

Most people fold the sides up on top of the car then fold or roll the cover up to take it off.

When you fold the sides up......there is a tie down grommet on the bottom of the sides.......with a big black marker make an arrow on the underside of the cover at the grommet pointing toward the front.

now when you put in on the car and unfold, if it is backwards you just rotate 180 and finish the install. 

One other option for people that store their cars during the winter and live somewhere the neighborhood will allow.

Make a PCV pipe frame and cover that with one of those 1-2 year tarps.  This gives your vehicle protection but the material does not touch the car.  For about $100 you can make a frame that will last many years and you will just replace the tarps as they wear out.    Do not make the top flat.....using 45 degree fittings you can have a roof/top that sheds rain and snow.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Rivman    72
23 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

The antenna "sleeve" is still offered by Covercraft.......however they will not install it without you first marking where you want it placed.....this involves them shipping you the cover, you mark it, ship it back, they install the sleeve,

ship it back to you and if you miss the location...though.  They will also include the sleeve with the cover order and you can install.   The sleeve looks cool but is a pain. 

Makes perfect sense to me, you could have the sleeve installed yourself and save the shipping charges too?

• Like 1

RivNut    953

I bought a generic cover and on the top of the cover at the tip of the hood it's printed in large letters FRONT. It's also not symmetrical front of back. I know if it's on upside down because the scoops for the vents are wrong. It was cheap and I picked it up at a local jobber. I have no idea of the brand.

• Like 1

Mr Jones    12
4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Pete in #31 mentioned he marked the front........I have a different option.

Most people fold the sides up on top of the car then fold or roll the cover up to take it off.

When you fold the sides up......there is a tie down grommet on the bottom of the sides.......with a big black marker make an arrow on the underside of the cover at the grommet pointing toward the front.

now when you put in on the car and unfold, if it is backwards you just rotate 180 and finish the install. 

One other option for people that store their cars during the winter and live somewhere the neighborhood will allow.

Make a PCV pipe frame and cover that with one of those 1-2 year tarps.  This gives your vehicle protection but the material does not touch the car.  For about $100 you can make a frame that will last many years and you will just replace the tarps as they wear out.    Do not make the top flat.....using 45 degree fittings you can have a roof/top that sheds rain and snow.

Here is the gallery page of the company in Western Australia who makes the custom covers. His prices are a little higher than Covercraft.  The lightweight cotton one is the one I am still considering, as the heat is a big factor in summer in Australia.    The material is fully washable, and I think he does excellent work from what I can see - the Corvette cover looks really great and he does have the pattern for the 1st Gen Rivs.  I am still not committed one way or another but I do like supporting local business people if the product is good.  I will think while I wait for a color fabric swatch to arrive from him.

http://www.carcovers.com.au/gallery/

60FlatTop    1,894
22 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Remember those floor shift kits you could get in the '60's? Just cut  4" X 4" hole in the transmission tunnel, my first thought on reading that.

Bernie

60FlatTop    1,894
14 hours ago, RivNut said:

I bought a generic cover and on the top of the cover at the tip of the hood it's printed in large letters FRONT.

You can get a matching T shirt.

Front-t.JPG.a5fa0528c2929fde63be898d2e5eb480.JPG

• Like 1