Look what I just found. One more scratched off the bucket list

auburnseeker

16 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I can't seem to recall at the moment what car Robert Mitchum drove in Thunder Road. Was that '40 Ford?

The first one was a 49 or 50 that had the bumper that he could leave behind when the Feds caught him. Then he had a 57 Ford. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

I did complete the purchase of the coupe and it's now in the garage.  I had to do a little cleaning and if it were any longer it wouldn't fit with my tractor.  There was almost a day where I was about ready to back out of the deal,  but the seller and I got it all figured out.   Hard to walk away from but I was close to doing just that.

It took about an hour to detail it.  All I have left is a good cleaning of the whitewalls but they aren't even yellow just some dirty hand prints on them.  Now I can go to work on wet sanding and buffing the sins out of the paint.  

To boot I mentioned to the owner I was looking for a radio and he threw in a correct original one for it.  Looks pretty nice but I'm assuming it's DOA.  I'll get some better pictures next time I get it out.  It's quite tidy and correct under the hood.

By today's prices from Drake,  I figured they spent in today's dollars 3300 on just the outside chrome when they did it,  and other than one of the rear wingtips,  the chrome looks like it was all plated yesterday.  

IMG_4944.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I saw a '40 recently that had all of the recesses in the bumper guards and wings painted red. It struck me as looking GM-like, but maybe it's authentic. I had another thought regarding your '40 that I'll share with you, but I don't want you to think that it's a criticism. I like blue dot lenses in most situations, but It occurred to me that maybe the blue dot itself looks a little "shoe horned" into the small space in the tail light. Also, the handsome "sergeant stipe" design stands quite distinctively on it's own and maybe doesn't need the further embellishing of the blue dot. It's alright to disagree vehemently. It's your car, after all.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I am very happy for you, we all have bucket list cars, and like you I have been fortunate over the decades to be able to enjoy several of the cars I dreamed about but never thought I would ever own.

I bought my last bucket list car in June 2016,  and I am now enjoying it after some major sorting out mechanically since the car basically went unused since it was restored in 1980.

My advice to all is if you can step up somehow to buy your dream car, do it. Enjoy life while you can.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I am very happy for you, we all have bucket list cars, and like you I have been fortunate over the decades to be able to enjoy several of the cars I dreamed about but never thought I would ever own.

I bought my last bucket list car in June 2016,  and I am now enjoying it after some major sorting out mechanically since the car basically went unused since it was restored in 1980.

My advice to all is if you can step up somehow to buy your dream car, do it. Enjoy life while you can.

You now have everyone's attention so tell us "The REST of the STORY"  .   Make, model, history etc.

How the heck are you going to drive that beautiful machine when it is surrounded by STUFF. Clean up your garage then drive the wheels off it. Wait a minute I think the pot is calling the kettle black!  I better go clean up the garage. 

Have fun with it   Very good looking 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually if I drive the tractor out,  I can drive the Ford right out.  The 32 is kind of boxed in.  That garage is not really that cluttered.  I'm just out of space.  We just started digging the footings for the new garage (walmart as my wife calls it) .  The guys I hired to do the excavating, an older pair of gents,  don't feel comfortable digging it unless I'm there to run my laser and make decisions on where to step the footings for grade.   We got the longest deepest side done.  It poured today and last night.  As of this morning we had very little washing.   I think they are coming back Monday.  The one guy had hay to get in Yesterday so they quit early. 

One of these days I'll get the concrete finally in the ground.   All the stacks of wood you see are prefinished for the walls,  but with summer here I find it hard to work in the garage with so much outside stuff to get done. 

She should consider herself lucky I only wanted to Build a Walmart and not a Distribution Center.  ;)

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, auburnseeker said:

The wood graining is a bit amateurish but from what I have seen,  one of the much better attempts.  I can live with that for quite a while unless I get real ambitious and decide to break out my Grainit kit.  Goal is to polish it up after a good going over and drive it for now. 

Not to be critical, its a great looking car. I've got one myself and I love it but if you want it to be authentic it shouldn't have wood graining on the dash.  All 40 Deluxe dashes were painted  Monaida Maroon and Rose Sand Metallic  

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

I don't mind the graining.  Makes it look a bit ritzier.  It's not quite an AACA type restoration but surprisingly a lot of things are pretty correct.  Especially when I see what alot of the "restored" cars out there look like.  Atleast they decided to not take liberties and make it into a circus wagon.  No tweed or velour,  no Ron Francis wiring kit, trunk isn't carpeted and neither is the interior floor.   All the factory Correct chrome placements.  Some of the most glaring things to me are a blue Voltage regulator under the hood and one piece of plastic wire loom wrap on a fuel line and the wires for the fog lights.  I have some Asphalt loom I will replace it with. 

I actually think it might have originally been a V8 60 car when it left the factory according to the Serial number.  

Hey Willie, the bucket list car I bought is a 1930 Packard standard eight seven passenger touring car. It apparently was restored in the late 1970s, took and AACA 1st place award in 1982 ( has an oval badge that says that , that I keep in the glove box) and after being a trailer queen for a few years rested in excellent storage conditions until 2016. A former owner wrote to a friend of mine when he inquired about the vin numbers on the car in 2000 that "we don't use it much as it is to pristine". Well slowly (as I could afford to have it worked on) everything has been gone through mechanically so I have a reliable road car now. Cosmetics look they were done last week and are almost 40 years old. The car had to be a pretty solid original as the panel and door fit is amazing, no turnbuckles inside the doors to pull back corners due to warp etc.  Oil pressure is 32 lbs when driving, 27 lbs at idle,  steers really easy, stops on a dime.  I will most likely never ever put it in competition for awards etc have no interest in that, I like to drive them. I did replace the trippe lights and stone guard with more appropriate and period factory correct units. The local  Community public service cable tv station is taping a drive report on it that should be done the end of Sept. it will be available to be seen on the internet, so will let you know when its done. On;y know the cars history back to 1977 when it was supposed to have been bought out of an ad in Cars & Parts magazine, I looked in those magazines but have not found the ad. It is an early car, most likely sold in October of 1929 and has body # 23 (the 23rd seven passenger std 8 touring sold for that model year) .

I have a soft spot in my heart for 1940 Fords because my dad's first car was a 1940 type 66 Deluxe Convertible Club Coupe. His was green with a black top and tan interior. Anyway, according to Ray Miller's book The V8 Affair, the V8 60 was only available in the standard models. Since your car looks like a deluxe model it should have come with the 85 hp engine, unless someone made a deluxe out of a standard model. It looks like a great car. Enjoy it!

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird Colonial White

Who knows.  Car could have been damaged in an accident and received a replacement frame from the boneyard.  Could have had a sheetmetal transplant as well.  Could have all been at the same time.  It's not a Corvette or Hemi Cuda,  so probably not real important to most people out there. 

Still have a Packard like that on my Bucket list as well. 

I'm just happy I have a nice clear legible vin on the chassis for a 1940 Ford.  That was the reason I almost walked from buying it.  I couldn't find anything to match the paperwork to on the car.  

I had to remove the horns and get some thinner to clean the black paint off the chassis after I found where the vin was stamped on the chassis.  Looks like the chassis was all blasted before painting from the textured surface under the paint and primer. 

Mine still has a 31-33 Auburn Convt' sedan

Early 30's Packard touring.  Any open Packard that era might do though

1941 Caddy Convt' 

1961 Olds Convt' 

1955-1957 Nomad or Safari

Studebaker Coupe Express 

1967-1968 Firebird

1962 Chrysler

Something early in the teens probably or earlier.  I haven't figured that one out yet. 

Another C1 to replace the one that burnt

A 1940's Pontiac Woody wagon

I could probably go on and on.  Not all are necessarily bucket list cars but just ones that have caught my attention over the years and i liked the style of so I would actively look for when I had money burning a hole in my pocket or a nice car for sale that I would trade.