Look what I just found. One more scratched off the bucket list

auburnseeker

I just ran across this 40 Ford coupe on Craigslist.  

A 40 Ford and Especially coupe has been near the top of my bucket list since I could draw cars in school.  Well today I was finally able to scratch that itch with this little coupe i just bought. 

It's had a body off restoration/ refurbishment 20 years ago.  Which appears to have included pretty much everything, paint, all the chrome, glass, interior, Engine, etc.   It's been kept in a climate controlled garage since it was finished and the work seems to be holding up quite well.  It was recently revived and received a brand new fuel tank, pump, lines, carburetor etc.  Seems to run well and cool.  I wasn't able to test drive it as it's off the road but the seller seems like a straightforward guy and didn't try to hide anything.   

About the biggest downfall is though the body is really nice for an east coast car,  the paint work wasn't stellar.  I'm pretty sure I can move it up with a notch or two with some serious wet block sanding and buffing.  

I should be getting it home early next week.  Best part is it was close enough to actually go look at.   I'll keep my fingers crossed there any any major issues that crop up.  

Now I need to do some reorganizing to make this one fit in the garage. 

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4719.JPG

• Like 13

The unfortunate part of the Bucket list like many of the members on here is there are a few cars I say I will own one day,  but unless lady luck really rolls my way I can even realize that they are probably only going to be dreams. 

I can't complain though I have been fortunate enough to have some pretty good cars from that list, I thought I would never own.  Some I still have. 

This one is a nice little addition. 

• Like 1

The wood graining is a bit amateurish but from what I have seen,  one of the much better attempts.  I can live with that for quite a while unless I get real ambitious and decide to break out my Grainit kit.  Goal is to polish it up after a good going over and drive it for now. 

Yup she is an 8.  No columbia but that would have been stretching it.  

As far as I know the blue dots are legal.  Atleast I have never been pulled over in any car with them, nor anyone I know.

It might be the whitewall clause.  I think any car with wide white walls that looks old  they just don't want to bother with figuring it's an old fart at the wheel. Poking along.   I went by a cop before in my not so stock 32 Ford (blue dots on that as well) with basically nothing more than lakes headers.  Now I didn't get on it,  But with the whitewalls it looks old and maybe slow to them, It has painted wire wheels as well so they don't even bother.   It has a few issues that wouldn't make it quite 100 percent cosher in the books but they never harassed me about them.  When I was driving it through town,  I was careful to not get on it unless I was out of town and driving it after 10 at night,  I would try to be real quiet through town.  

Maybe it was more of a respect thing and not harassing anybody.  I still say it's the white wall claus. ;)

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Great car! I think the '40 Ford coupe is on many bucket lists. I know it has been on mine since the early 60's when my cousin had one with a 53 Merc engine. That little Ford would fly for its day. Ford didn't introduce the 6 cyl until 1941.

It's a truly iconic car and yours looks like a beauty. I've always sort of liked Ford's maroon. I'm not fond of the tan or green that Ford offered in these years. You don't see all that many blue '40a, but '39 and especially'38 Fords were popular in blue. Here's a couple of pics from Google of '40s in blue. I think it's the same blue that they offered earlier. Perhaps by '40 it was less popular. Note the whitewalls:

1940 Ford Standard for sale 100845861

1940fordblue%207.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Cool car, one of my favorites. Strange that my bucket list keeps getting longer while my garage gets smaller.

Terry

• Like 1

I have seen them in the other shades but it seems maybe 90 percent are one of the three I mentioned. That coupe looks mighty sanitary. 

I did start the exhaust on the hudson,  then realized I need to modify the bender a bit to bend tube with out kinking it.  That will be Sunday.  I have to go to the Stowe car show tomorrow.  I now have a couple trinkets to look for for the 40 Ford.  Probably a better chance of finding them than parts for the Hudson. 

Yes the blue coupe is outstanding. My brother had a '38 Ford Standard coupe in this color that I always loved. .I'm a little surprised to not see a gas heater in your new Ford.. Not that you should go out and get one. It's just that they are such a common sight in Fords of this era. I'm also a little surprised that someone put as much money into this car as they obviously did and didn't bother with a radio. They're out there, though not cheap.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I think they were planning for a radio and just didn't get that far along as there is a hole in the cowl, plugged off with a chrome cap and rubber grommet.  It's atleast getting an antennae for starter and a radio when I find one.  I would prefer to find a working unit though,  rather than just a dash plug.  

Beautiful Car sir!

I was at a Swap Meet yesterday here in Ontario and there happened to be a '40 Ford convertible coupe (correct term?) for sale in the Car coral. It was restored and appeared to be in similar condition as yours. The sign said 62,000 (cdn funds). Ithad a black body (perfectly straight) with black top and a correct pattern (I think) brown interior. Wish I had taken pictures.

Love the lines! Have fun with yours.

• Like 1

Auburnseeker you may want to try a fellow in REYNOLDSBURG OHIO by the name of ART GRANDLE. He rebuilds old tube radios and did mine (in 2011) for the 38 Studebaker. I think he also sells some he has rebuilt.  Don't have a phone for him but his address is/was 52 Thomas Ln, Reynoldsburg OH 43068. Mine is the old PHILCO box under the dash by steering column with the remote dash controls and speaker in the head liner.  

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

i don't know fords. but to me the chrome plug on the cowl ahead of the right windshield is in an unusual location. seems to me that a radio antenna would be mounted more toward the extreme right side of the cowl or as the antenna on post 15 of the blue coupe... i'm sure there are many choices (and opinions.) 

but still... very nice!

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The unfortunate part of the Bucket list like many of the members on here is there are a few cars I say I will own one day,  but unless lady luck really rolls my way I can even realize that they are probably only going to be dreams. 

I can't complain though I have been fortunate enough to have some pretty good cars from that list, I thought I would never own.  Some I still have. 

This one is a nice little addition. 

VERY nice 1940 Ford!

I still have a LONG list of cars I'd like to own, but I've transitioned some to a "would love to at least drive 1 day" category.  Not sure that is more realistic or not ... LOL.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Money can't buy happiness" | Don Williams | 'One Good Well'

• Like 2

A.S., A very nice addition to your family !

Each year in Dawsonville, Georgia ..... a "moonshine festival" is held, along with a fine car show.

Being that the '40 Ford was the car of choice to make the "moonshine runs", you'll never seen a finer gathering of '40 Fords.

Being that 2017 is the 50th anniversary of this event, it should prove to be a great time for all ....... especially if you love the '40 Ford.

http://business.dawson.org/events/details/50th-annual-mountain-moonshine-festival-12335

I'll add my congratulations, looks very nice. The 40 Ford has been on my bucket list forever also. I have a stock sedan (other than the color) and a modified coupe. Unfortunately they are in 1/24th scale, I built them in the early 60s. I have them on a high shelf in my shop. The sedan is painted metalflake red and the coupe cherry apple red with a Corvette engine.

What can I say it was the 60s and I was a teenager :-) You don't want to know what I did to a pair of I think 36 coupes.

Probably the only ones I will ever own.

I believe he had a 49 or 50.  One of the other guys,  maybe his younger brother or a family friend had a 40 Coupe they were hauling shine with.  I think they bought Robert's car and then got blown up in it when it was boobie trapped for Robert,  not knowing he had sold it to the other guy.  That was after he got the 57? Ford.  

I haven't seen that movie in years though I think i do have the song on my 1952 Seeburg M100 Jukebox.  All this and I'm 43.  I thought only old guys were suppose to like this stuff?

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

8 hours ago, mrspeedyt said:

i don't know fords. but to me the chrome plug on the cowl ahead of the right windshield is in an unusual location. seems to me that a radio antenna would be mounted more toward the extreme right side of the cowl or as the antenna on post 15 of the blue coupe... i'm sure there are many choices (and opinions.) 

but still... very nice!

The antenna that year was in the center of the dash and behind the windshield division strip. It protruded from the top if the car and had a second section the driver slid up from inside the car.

A very neat appearance .

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I believe he had a 49 or 50.  One of the other guys,  maybe his younger brother or a family friend had a 40 Coupe they were hauling shine with.  I think they bought Robert's car and then got blown up in it when it was boobie trapped for Robert,  not knowing he had sold it to the other guy.  That was after he got the 57? Ford.  

I haven't seen that movie in years though I think i do have the song on my 1952 Seeburg M100 Jukebox.  All this and I'm 43.  I thought only old guys were suppose to like this stuff?

The trouble with becoming an old guy is that you forget the details in things like Thunder Road. I find it a little interesting that Willie Wurke's description of a correct '40 ford antenna perfectly describes the antennas in Hudson Stepdowns. I think that most of us Hudson guys would generally hate to admit that a feature on there cars came first on a Ford. I suppose that you are well aware of this, but in case not The Early Ford V8 Club has nice site with helpful forum members.:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/index.cfm

I just grabbed this '40 Ford dashboard image off of Google. You can clearly see the antenna that Willie Wurke was talking about. The thing that strikes me as funny about it is that Hudson was always going on about how they had more first than anyone. I guess they weren't going to count this one:

9992158904_0f9c20ebcd_b.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The trouble with becoming an old guy is that you forget the details in things like Thunder Road. I find it a little interesting that Willie Wurke's description of a correct '40 ford antenna perfectly describes the antennas in Hudson Stepdowns. I think that most of us Hudson guys would generally hate to admit that a feature on there cars came first on a Ford. I suppose that you are well aware of this, but in case not The Early Ford V8 Club has nice site with helpful forum members.:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/index.cfm

FYI; THE 'BIG THREE (GM-FORD-CHRYSLER) USUALLY LET THE INDEPENDENTS DO THE EXPERIMENTING WITH NEW IDEAS.

IF SOMETHING PROVED TO BE ACCEPTED BY THE BUYING PUBLIC THEY WOULD ADOPT IT ON THEIR PRODUCT!   SEEMS THIS WAS AN EXCEPTION!

THEY ALSO SWAPPED IDEAS WITH EACH OTHER.

FORD AND GM DID A LOT OF THIS IN THE 1960's WHEN I WAS A LINC-MERC  DEALERSHIP SER. MGR.

(EVER SEE A 60s PONTIAC WITH A FORD 3 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION?) had synchronized low!

IN THE 50'S GM CARS USED A THERMOSTATIC HEATER WATER VALVE. THEY GOT IT FROM NASH-KELVINATOR. 

Now about this "getting old and forgetting stuff"  When does it start?  I am 1929 model . Have had my head under a hood for 75 years.  A PREVENTION  MAYBE?

You may need a shot of Hudsonite Fluid!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willie Wurke said:

FYI; THE 'BIG THREE (GM-FORD-CHRYSLER) USUALLY LET THE INDEPENDENTS DO THE EXPERIMENTING WITH NEW IDEAS.

IF SOMETHING PROVED TO BE ACCEPTED BY THE BUYING PUBLIC THEY WOULD ADOPT IT ON THEIR PRODUCT!   SEEMS THIS WAS AN EXCEPTION!

THEY ALSO SWAPPED IDEAS WITH EACH OTHER.

FORD AND GM DID A LOT OF THIS IN THE 1960's WHEN I WAS A LINC-MERC  DEALERSHIP SER. MGR.

(EVER SEE A 60s PONTIAC WITH A FORD 3 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION?) had synchronized low!

IN THE 50'S GM CARS USED A THERMOSTATIC HEATER WATER VALVE. THEY GOT IT FROM NASH-KELVINATOR. 

Now about this "getting old and forgetting stuff"  When does it start?  I am 1929 model . Have had my head under a hood for 75 years.  A PREVENTION  MAYBE?

You may need a shot of Hudsonite Fluid!!