New here- 1st Post: what is it

Guest tenalquot

Guest tenalquot

Hello all,

I'm a historian that works with archaeologists surveying sites on public lands.  Frequently we encounter derelict cars associated with historic sites which we note in our surveys.  I'm hoping we might draw on your expertise to identify some of the stuff we see. 

The only visible ID mark on this one is on the engine near the flywheel.  It says 35BA, then underneath, 3677-10

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

598b9536c704b_0802171306a-reduced.jpg.9166e393730df8eab0a3a219e99a4245.jpg

0802171333 - reduced.jpg

0802171300 - reduced.jpg

0802171301 - reduced.jpg

0802171303 - reduced.jpg

0802171303a - reduced.jpg

Guest tenalquot

If the vehicle's life-span were 10-20 years, that would put it in the right date range for the site we we're surveying- late 1920s-early 1930s. 

Here is one possible solution to the design of the intake and exhaust passages within the engine block.

I assumed that the intake valves are a bit less corroded than the exhaust valves and that the large ports at each end of the block are for the intake.

Engine3.jpg

Guest tenalquot
41 minutes ago, Grandpa said:

Here is one possible solution to the design of the intake and exhaust passages within the engine block.

I assumed that the intake valves are a bit less corroded than the exhaust valves and that the large ports at each end of the block are for the intake.

Interesting!

Interesting suggestion, Grandpa (I'm one too:)), but you have two exhaust valves side by side and the intake and exhaust passages would have to cross each other in the block which would be unusual.  Interesting that it has only 6 ports in th block.

Terry

Guest tenalquot

Here's the best pic we have of the right  side of the block:

0802171300 - detail.jpg

Is it possible the intake manifold was connected to, or part of, the head(s)?  

Edited by tenalquot (see edit history)

It is possible, but at the moment I can only think of one and this isn't it.  The 1920-24 Studebaker Light 6 had the intake manifold cast as part of its aluminum cylinder head.  The valves in the Light 6 are angled toward the cylinders, the ones in this engine aren't.

Terry

The engine block intake and exhaust passages have to cross within the block with only six manifold connection ports.  I would think that most engine designers would have the exhaust exit ports close to each exhaust valve to minimize heat transfer to the coolant, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this engine.  The three core support plugs (grouped near each other) at each end of the engine block may offer a clue to some internal intake and exhaust passages.  The marked-up picture (above) that I submitted may work with cross over passages within the engine block, but doesn't make much design sense.  It design seems like unnecessary complication to the engine block casting.

Hopefully, someone will be able to ID the car and / or the engine, as I am at a loss to explain a logical manifold arrangement.

I don't think that that particular engine is a 1921-22 Light six. My car has an Aluminium cylinder head with the inlet manifold cast into the head. and the valves were at a 20 degree angle. Just how this all worked I will not know until I have the car "at home" on Tuesday. There is a spare aluminium head in the rear of the car.

The aluminium heads were introduced in 1921 and lasted until early 1923. These cylinder heads were NOT interghangable with the later cast iron heads, which indicates (to me) that the blocks, porting and manifolds were different and exclusive to the cars with aluminium heads. Don't take my word for it I am very new to 1920's Studebakers. Some unkind people will tell you that I am a slow learner. Here I am 80 years old and still playing with old cars. Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of some good drawings for the 1921-2 Light Six engine.

Bj

Nice picture of a Light Six engine...mine :D. Definitely not a Light Six. Please note the cover on the front of the engine, maybe that is a good clue to start with. Also, looks like the transmission bolts directly to the engine block.

Scott

The six ports in the block do line up with exhaust valves which would at least hint that the intake manifold is part of the head.  The head studs appear to be quite long which might indicate that the head is fairly high.  Where is the distributor located?  Is it driven off the back of the generator?

Having the intake manifold as part of the cylinder head is a possibility, but unlike the Studebaker Light Six engine, all of the cylinder head studs on the unknown engine are the same length.

Having a picture of the top surface (the deck) of a Light Six engine block would be helpful.

7 minutes ago, Grandpa said:

Having the intake manifold as part of the cylinder head is a possibility, but unlike the Studebaker Light Six engine, all of the cylinder head studs on the unknown engine are the same length.

Having a picture of the top surface (the deck) of a Light Six engine block would be helpful.

As someone pointed out the Stude engine has its valves on an angle.

Guest tenalquot
3 hours ago, dictator27 said:

The six ports in the block do line up with exhaust valves which would at least hint that the intake manifold is part of the head.  The head studs appear to be quite long which might indicate that the head is fairly high.  Where is the distributor located?  Is it driven off the back of the generator?

No distributor location apparent.  The distributor may have been on top- there is a hole in the middle top of the block that could've been for the shaft.  I'm wondering if it was a split-head with the distributor between?

If those are intake and exhaust valves, then having a head with integral intake manifold is impossible. The valve has to be in between the carb and the cylinder. I have stared at the proposed valve and port diagram and it seems equally impossible. How do the runners pass by each other in the limited amount of space available?  They would have to be half an inch in diameter to allow for coolant flow and to eliminate thin spots that would crack and allow exhaust in the inlets and vice versa. They certainly can't intersect each other.

Very odd

It certainly is slightly weird if the six ports do line up with the exhaust there is no sign of any inlet either on the reverse side of the block or if it like the 1921-2 Light Six with the aluminium cylinder head, the inlet manifold cast into the head there would have to be transfer holes between the head and the block. There is no evidence of this either. I think that some more information is required. Physically checking the block would quickly show which valves the ports served . Just be carefull that there are no nasty spiders or other biting insects lurking in the ports before you poke your finder into them.

Bj

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

As noted above, a valve for each cylinder does line-up with a port on the side of the block.  However, there isn't any passages to the intake valves if the intake manifold was contained as part of the head.  The large holes (about 3/4" diameter) must be for coolant.

Engine6.jpg

On the early Chrysler engines the intake runner is internally cast under the exhaust with just 2 intake ports.

I think this block has a similar setup. Notice the 3 casting plugs on the front of the block the upper one is most likely for the water jacket.

I think you will find that the two middle and end ports will be for the exhaust.

I would like to offer some observations and my conclusions.  If the exhaust and intake flow path channels cross within the engine block, the vertical clearance is limited, however, the point of the crossover could be a rectangle which would still allow a reasonable cross sectional area.  These early engines are long stroke and low revving.  Thus, flow turbulence and pressure drop isn't much of a problem due to direction changes and restrictions in the flow path.

Post 3.jpg

Post 4.jpg

I believe the last picture with the exhaust ports is the right configuration for this motor. I see no hole in the block surface for a distributor to be set into or driven by the camshaft. Therefore the head must have had the intake ports,passages and carb mount. I also do not believe this to be a Studebaker light 6 block based on the length of the studs to hold the head on.The outer rows of studs seems way to long unless the head was held on by a spacer and nut system. The center row of studs also seems to short based on the picture in post 13. All these studs look to be the same length. I am not familiar with these particular motors. These observations are strictly from almost 60 years of turning wrenches do with them what you will.

Request for originator, "Tenalquot" - - -

On a future trip to Tenalquot Prairie (I assume), please consider the following tasks, which would help ID the unknown car and / or the engine:

• Check the ports in the block for the presence of any lengthwise passages.

• Measure the bore of a cylinder (to 1/16" accuracy).

• Measure the distance from the top of the block to each of the six pistons (to 1/16" accuracy) to determine the stroke.  TDC is likely not flush with top of the block.

• Take pictures of the rear axle (the differential) if present.

• Take pictures of the arrangement of the rear springs, i.e., how they are attached to the frame and the rear end.

• If the front and rear axles are present, please measure the wheelbase (both sides) so that an average can be calculated.

• Take pictures of any numbers or letters that are cast into the engine block, such as a firing order.

I believe this is a Continental 6V engine, used in the Saxon and the Moon.  More info. is needed, including the bore, and hopefully, the approximate wheelbase.  If you look at the right side of the engine, there appears to be a carburetor attached to the block.  The space between the number 3 and 4 cylinders is larger, which would permit an intake passage over to the lengthwise internal intake manifold.

It could even be that all 4 of those ports are inlets and only the two outer ones are exhaust. Also I saw a pic of a 4 cylinder Continental with the distributor mounted top center in the middle of the head. Could that be what this one had, since I see a hole in the block between the two center cylinders?

post-47067-143142267231.jpg