40 Continental Rear Springs and Axles Troubles

Mike Markin

I am reassembling a '40 Continental and I have run to difficulty in reloading the rear leaf springs.  I did have the rear end updated with a Columbia and I am wondering if the dimensions are correct or if there is a trick to loading the rear leaf springs.  Here are some dimensions that I have taken and I wonder if any one could shed some light on this for me.

Length of the axles - tip to tip  - 67"

Axle Shackle stud mount - center to center - 48.25"

Shackles - 2 1/8" center to center

Shackle stud to shackle stud = 44.0"

Leaf Spring spread - spring shackle stud to spring shackle stud - 39.75"

As you can see I have about a 4" gap to close to get the spring mounted to the axle.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Markin

You will need a "spring spreader" that will fit beneath the spring contacting the outer ends. The spreader will length the spring so that the shackles can be mounted. The "old" time method was to mount the spring on the  cross member and lower the car on to couple of stout blocks under the shackle end of the spring. Either way you must be careful! Be sure to check the cross member where the spring mount for cracks especially around the center mount hole.

I read somewhere you could mount the long spring by itself and then stack the others on one at a time.  Don't know if that's true or not.  I used a spring spreader to do mine and my 'pucker factor' has never been higher.  If it lets loose bad things will happen.