Restoring a gas tank on my 1923 Moon

jan arnett (2)

That looks safe enough to weld.  Looks like it hasn't seen gasoline for a long time.  When my Mothers cousin had his service station he didn't have access to a steam cleaner so if it was on the bottom, sides or ends he just filled the tank with gasoline and welded it.  He never had a problem.

You can open it up and pressure wash it and it will be perfectly clean. If there is rust inside, sandblast it. Get it clean, clean,  clean and weld or braze the cuts. You will need to do some hammer and dolly work to get everything straight. When it is welded up it will have to be coated on the inside with some kind of epoxy or other sealer. The outside will need to be painted. If the tank is exposed to view you can smooth over the welds with body filler as you would a weld seam on a fender.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinindian said:

That looks safe enough to weld.  Looks like it hasn't seen gasoline for a long time.  When my Mothers cousin had his service station he didn't have access to a steam cleaner so if it was on the bottom, sides or ends he just filled the tank with gasoline and welded it.  He never had a problem.

I think this should read "just filled the tank with water and welded it."

He was often repairing a tank that was still on the car.  He would just make sure the tank was absolutely full and then he used an acetylene torch to braze up the hole or holes as the case may be.  As long as the tank was full there was no danger as gasoline needs to be vaporized to burn or explode.  I always worked for him.  After the first two or three times I even stayed in the shop and watched him.