Electrical

Guest CHendry

Guest CHendry

I've been trying to get a 1930 Plymouth running. I've had to change out the coil, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, and condenser and still can't get any spark. The coil got so hot today I couldn't touch it. Need some help as I would like to get it running soon

As Bhigdog suggests you have a ground.  It could be the movable arm of the points grounding out or a short where the primary wire enters the dist housing.  You can check the coil separately by holding the high tension wire near the block and having one primary wire attached and make and break the connection with the other one.  If that gives you a high tension spark then your problem is inside the distributor.  Otherwise it is between the coil and the distributor.

Guest CHendry
33 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Wire from coil to distributor/points grounded.......................Bob

I think it is, it's showing as a good ground.

I think what they are suggesting is verify that the wire going into the distributor is not grounding out against the Distributor case. The first clue is the coil should not get that hot. Use a volt ohm meter on that wire connected to nothing else and manually open and close the points, the meter should indicate continuity when closed. Also pay attention to polarities. I thought Plymouth was positive ground in 1930. That means the coil positive lead goes to the distributor.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CHendry said:

I think it is, it's showing as a good ground.

It should only show as a ground when the points are closed. When the points are open it is above ground. Remove  the coil to Dist wire from the coil. Connect a continuity meter from that wire to ground. If you show continuity when the points are open you have isolated the problem. Now you need to find the cause (bad insolation, frayed wire, improper connection, etc etc etc...............Bob

Right, good ground showing on the points terminal of the coil is only a good sign when the points are closed. When the points are open, the terminal of the coil going to the points should show battery voltage (or close).

As Tin says, while holding the coil high tension lead close to ground, remove the lead going to the points. A spark SHOULD happen if the points are closed. If the points are open, no spark should happen, so look for this wire touching ground where it shouldn't. Also make sure the "new" condenser is not shorted.