66 Electra motor mounts

VickyBlue

What I thought was a suspension noise, (L coil spring) turns out it is a busted engine mount. They appear to be original to the car, the part I am replacing them with is Westar 2219. I also got the transmission mount. I read somewhere, the Wildcats and Electras use a special mount, but the 2219 was the one that popped up under every search I did. Check your mounts...

20170731_123726_zpsqtdz9mip.mp4

I am going to need help here from the experts... First picture is the mount at rest. Second with load (foot on brake, in gear, foot on gas.) You can see the gap at rest with the wrong mount on. Rubber is flushed with the frame bracket, the top tab is broken, the rest of the steel mount is attached to the engine block. Between the two of them is a "wedged" style gap.

There is a universal nailhead mount for hot rod applications. The bracket I am talking about is the one in circle. Will this bracket, if attached to the block, allow the pre-66 mounts, part 2219 to be bolted on? This way, for the future mount replacements, I can use the $20 oem mounts, vs the $220 oem year only, exchange only, re-vulcanized mounts?

If someone has a spare mount, I can go this way too...

Screenshot_2017-08-08-16-29-36.png

Screenshot_2017-08-08-17-28-44.png

unimount.jpg

Just got off the phone with Russ... No bueno on my idea. Frame bracket is different between 65 and 66, I would have to fabricate a new mount to close the gap and use the pre-66 mounts. But no worries, nothing $316 out the door can't fix... They are on their way.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:42 PM, buick5563 said:

Have you called Steele Rubber?

They might be who Russ sends em to.

Mike, you were right... Picture of the two of them side to side: Left is the correct mount, right is the incorrect one, EM-2219 as advertised by all.

The right side one is the one that fails...Good for another 50 years.  I am getting a torque strap too... 

20170812_200605.jpg

20170812_202636.jpg

Edited by VickyBlue (see edit history)
  • Like 2