Sign in to follow this  
riviadrian

Is my starter going bad??

riviadrian    10

I am having an issue with the starter on my '63.  It is not unusual to turn the key and get nothing, turn off and back on and it fires. Yesterday I drove the car about 20 miles, got to my destination, turned it off and it would not restart.  I let it sit for awhile to cool off and it started right up.  The same thing happened when I got home and didn't pull into the garage far enough.  Tried to restart to pull in farther, and again it wouldn't start.  I let it sit for 30 minutes or so, fired right up again.

The battery is about 3 years old and had to be put on the charger last week. The car sat for several months while I had the interior out.  Could a week battery cause this problem, or do I need to pull the starter and have it rebuilt?  

Thank you, 

-Adrian-

Jim Cannon    25

It could be the starter, but cranking slowly is usually how that shows up.

It could be the battery.  Cooling off sometime helps them.  Have a load test done on it.  Usually shows up as starter solenoid clicking but no cranking.

It could be one of the battery cables or the connection where cable attaches to battery or ground.  They next time it does not start, put a volt meter between various connections while someone attempts to start it.  Look for big voltage drops, which indicates a bad cable.

My money is on the starter solenoid.  (Many a good starter has been replaced due to a bad solenoid!)  They can be heat sensitive.  They actually make the electrical connection to send current to the starter motor.  They have a plunger inside them that needs to slide freely.  If it does not, no spinning of starter motor.  Time and heat (from nearby exhaust manifold) bake the grease inside the plunger to a crisp, so it sticks (does not slide).  Take it apart, inspect contacts, clean and lubricate plunger and reinstall.  Might make a big difference.  You can replace solenoid separately from starter.

• Like 1

DShip    82

I had the same symptom with the 2000 Eldorado as Adrian has with the '63 Riviera.  It was indeed the starter solenoid...just what Jim is referring to.  Check it out before anything else.   

RivNut    953

I had the same experience.  I had the starter rebuilt to "high torque" specs.  As they get older the stater armature tends to expand.  It will lock up inside the housing.  As it cools, it contracts and will work again.  The next time that happens, douse the starter with a bucket of water and see if it doesn't start right away.  Only happens in hot weather.  Does your engine still have the heat shield between the block and the starter?

Ed

I had the same problem with my 65. Turned out to be corrosion in the factory solenoid wire coupling under the hood by the battery cable juction block. A little cleaning with steel wool solved the problem

jsgun    29

Had a bad solenoid on a chevy starter that did that. Also had a weak battery connection on a ford that did it too.

riviadrian    10

Thank you guys for the education!   Ed, I'm not sure if the heat shield is there, but I will check it out.

I will see what I come up with and report back when I get this issue solved-

Thanks again!

-Adrian-