Custom phone holder

Hazdaz

Designed and make a custom phone holder for my '64.  I almost always use it for my music (my stereo has an AUX jack) and of course GPS, so it's super convenient and blends in decently well (for a modern piece of electronics into a 50+ year old interior, of course). 

My heater/AC vents are not stock and one day I'll convert them over to a more stock looking set up, but they work so that's good enough for now.  

The actual phone holder is 3D printed and I customized it to my specific Android phone.  

Figured some of you guys probably like tinkering with stuff like I do, so maybe some of you guys will like it.

20170806_193748.jpg

20170806_193649.jpg

20170806_193711.jpg

20170806_193639.jpg

Clever, and a good location for it. I've often wondered if a tablet sized lcd would fit inside the dash. I've seen bracket kits that allow it to fold into the dash, then fold out when needed.

I'd like to convert my 64's heater and AC controls to the 63 style, and clean up the console area.

Did you print it yourself, or send it out? I'm wanting to get into 3d modeling and printing, but having a hard time sitting down and learning a program. I read a while back that desktop metal printing is becoming feasible.

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)

A smaller sized tablet would definitely fit in there.  If my heater controls weren't there, I'd definitely consider doing that and having it more integrated into the console.

Concerning the print itself, I own a couple of printers and have access to a few more.   Designing stuff like this is what I do for a living as an engineer so its no biggie.  Don't believe what you hear though when it comes to metal printers.  They exist, of course, and prices are coming down all the time, but desktop ones are a long ways out.  Still there are service companies that will print metal parts for you, or simply stick with plastic. For non load bearing parts, they are typically perfectly fine.  Of course a third option is milling or turning a metal part if one doesn't want or able to print them.