I noticed two things; first- photo #2 appears to be 1 sticker on top of another. Second- photo #3 what would that sticker be on the right side of the cowl cover/wing?

That really makes you think- the Craft Centre crew had just barely gotten into their stride at #105, and how many subtle changes there are between this car and the last #? '88 to roll out.

Thank you for sharing.

Good catch.  I am going to go look at that SPID.  I can not take it off to investigate what is underneath though.  Thankfully I have the Broadcast sheet as well. 

• Like 1

142 is still very low.  I would have been happy with anything under 300.  Every time I see a suede bolster car I want to know.  There was a suede bolster 88 Red/Tan coupe for sale in Iowa for about 2 months but not in Des Moines.  The seller was only asking $500 but was tough to work with.  Car is gone now, I mean someone else bought it and I am not sure what the V.I.N. was or where it went.   It was in Cedar Rapids, about 120 miles away. 

Gentelmen,

I haven't been on the site in a while. The photos above are great. I too have a keen interest in those very early Reatta cars. I have personally inspected and documented Reatta VIN sequence 0039 (see SPID label attached below). That 1988 car was the prototype and show car for the 1990 convertible Reatta.

Importantly, the photograph above of the first label is not a SPID label. That label is the Certification label (explained on page 17, All Buick Reatta Colors, available on Amazon). It indicates that the vehicle was certified in October of 1987. It is quite interesting that it is placed over another Certification label.

The SPID label for a Reatta with a VIN sequence less than 0955 will have the Service Parts Identification (SPID) label on the underside of the trunk lid (explained on page 12, All Buick Reatta Colors). Reattas with VIN sequence higher than 1091 will have the SPID in the spare tire well of the trunk (Lift some of the sound insulation to the right of the spare tire. Typically, you do not have to remove the tire).

The second label in the photos above is a parts ID sticker used for theft/insurance purposes. There are several of those labels all over the car. From the photo, that specific label above looks like it is adhered to the underside of the trunk lid. The SPID label should be very close to this label. If not, the trunk lid may have been replaced. As a last resort, check your spare tire well, but, as explained above, your early built cars should not have SPIDs in the spare tire well.

The SPID is very important to determining what the factory put on/in your Reatta.

The early seat configurations have always been very interesting to me. We all know about the discontinuation of suede. But, there is so much more.

From the fourth photograph above, which shows a three-switch control pod on the driver seat,  car 0105 likely has RPO AC1 and AF9 on the SPID. In GM-land, these two RPOs typically indicated power driver/passenger seats. Additionally, car 0105 SPID label likely does NOT have RPO IE4 (capital letters I and E), and likely does NOT have RPO A80.

However, after car VIN 0183, RPO AC1 was never used again on any year Reatta. Why? (see page 56-57, All Buick Reatta Colors)

I contend that RPO IE4 designated a special interior - power driver and passenger seats with a FOUR-switch control pod, as used on the Riviera T-Type. (There are photos somewhere on this forum of the four-switch pod) Similar to the 1988 Reatta RPO 14U Sparkling Black Metallic paint being discontinued before car 0032 (page 23, All Reatta Colors), 1988 RPO IE4 seats were discontinued as well. (RPO IE4 returned for 1989-91, and it again designated special interiors)

I'd love to see posted photographs of the SPID labels of your early Reattas.

2015-11-14 10.19.50.jpg

Edited by Regalization (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You might find these interesting and helpful.

JB903190 is a Canadian car, note French at bottom

JB900081 & JB900149 are early

Sticker on windshield of JB900039 when it was moved from IVY Tech in Lafayette IN to San Diego Auto Museum.

1988 canadian dereck.jpg

JB900081.JPG

JB900149.jpg

900039.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I have records of all four of those labels.

I was hoping that Imperial62 could post a photo of his VIN 0105 SPID and 2reattas could post a photo of his VIN 0142 SPID.