Early 1920s Studebaker ?

Hello all

I have as recently as yesterday bought an early 1920s Studebaker Light Six, as it is not yet at home I cannot tell you a lot. I am led to believe that it has been in dry storage since 1941. I do have just a few photographs to share with you. I am a little puzzled as the carburettor and inlet manifold appears to be different to other photographs I have been able to find.  The top & side screens do come with the car but are very tatty as is the upholstery.

I have also started a thread on the Studebaker section of the Forum.

Bernie j.

IMG_4527.thumb.JPG.ee6a59129396df7535587264f5acc841.JPGIMG_4517.thumb.JPG.a73bfaa226f6cec451f140e81aa0195f.JPG598658d93f43e_RegLabel.jpg.23e2182b55c20ec7e81cabc7e66af01b.jpgIMG_4528.thumb.JPG.ff5e69942d9dbf9f99c2c36c4116d714.JPG

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like it, especially the wire wheels which must have been for local consumption. The mag is interesting too. I'd have thought it would have a distributor but perhaps that was for Australia as well. Perhaps there are numerous differences between the domestic product and the export version.

Hello Ben

I am glad that you approve, I have finally come to my senses and am looking forward to something that as you say is complete.

I will still have just a little bit to do but I am not about to start stripping paint off or anything silly like that. The interior trim and seats will make a slight dent in my budget and looking into an engine that has been standing un-turned for so long should be interesting. All the experts tell me to fill the cylinder bores with some diesel and allow it to stand for a couple of weeks is a good way to start. My plan is to hasten slowly on this one and confine myself to "cleaning and looking" for a while. It would be nice to think that I will be able to discover some history for the car. All the important people in my life are in agreement; a rub down with an "oilly rag" is good way to start.

Bernie j.

• Like 2

Hi Bernie

Welcome back!  I was afraid we had lost you.:huh:  Finally came to your senses carwise, too.:)  It is a 1921 to 23 Light 6, which morphed into the Standard 6 (1925-26) and finally the Dictator 6 in 1927.  The Light 6 engine used a unique cylinder head which incorporated the intake manifold in it.  There are no coolant passages around the spark plugs.  Studebaker called it the hotspot manifold, the idea being that this would help the combustion process.  The cylinder head is aluminum and is probably the one item on the car that can (will) cause problems, so forewarned is forearmed.  Studebaker redesigned the cylinder head and block in 1925 to a more conventional layout using a cast iron head. The block and heads do not interchange.  Once again, Bernie, welcome back.

Terry

Thank you Terry.

I have noted that there is a spare aluminium cylinder head in the back seat. I will have lots to learn, just looking at the head on the car had me wondering. I found a drawing of the valve layout and was most impressed. Your comments are most informative.

Bernie j.

Hi Bernie

Some info:

model EJ  1921-23

model EM 1923-24

engine 3 1/8 x 4 1/4 207 cubic inches 40 horsepower

four main bearings, full pressure to main bearings, splash to rods

valves at 20 degree angle in block, operated by cam and roller, majority of combustion chamber in block

exposed clutch with transmission mounted on separate sub frame

Very little change over these years

Studebaker offered a magneto at least until 1927, which is curious because it can't have been a big seller

In the 20's Studebaker did not observe yearly model changes, preferring to make changes when they felt they were needed

Terry

Thank you both for your interest, I am most impressed with the valve arrangement which must be far superior to the usual arrangement used by the majority of manufacturers of the period. I think that the magneto ignition was probably more attractive to the "British" buyers. Having it as an option is something of a two way bet.

Mounting the gearbox on a seperate subframe tends to be found more often in British cars too. As I still have to get the car home this is one feature I was not aware of. You DO learn something new every day!

Bernie j

At last the Studebaker is safely ensconced in our carport having arrived about lunch time yesterday. Fortunately the one item of interest, the wheel spanner, was safely tucked away in a box of bits in the rear seat. The "spare" cylinder headhas had some serious repair work in the past but it does show how the transfer of fuel from the inlet manifold was managed by three large "transfer ports between the head and the cylinder block. It also shows the quite advanced combustion chamber shape. For more detail see my thread under Studebaker further on in the Forum.

Bj.

DSCN5572.jpg