1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster

CT Car Guy

I am considering buying a 1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster and hope that you all can help me. The engine and frame numbers match. Is there any registry or such where I can research this particular bike? This is an estate bike so there is not a lot of information. I need to determine if the paint is original or not since this would impact the price. It has not been run is several years but the engine does turn over. It is a battery model. My concern is the carburetor.. I have no idea what if any damage has been caused by ethanol. I understand these are very expensive. Are there rebuild kits? Anything else I should look for? Thanks for the help!

P6210003.JPG

P6210002.JPG

P6210004.JPG

• Like 1

Hi - I know a little late to the show here. Don't check this forum too often way down here.

First, if matching numbers are important to you, note that there are a lot of matching number bikes out there but many of them have been restamped to match and are not original factory stamped matching. First thing is get close up pics of frame and engine stamp. Most do not know  how to tell. Post pics and I can tell you. There is no registry. This bike may be factory stamped but you must not assume. Original factory matching bikes do bring more money which is why so many try to  fake them. Some re-stamps even occurred by dealers  back in the day when replacement engines or cases were installed. These old bikes were wrecked often and engines failed so non-matching is quite common. Much easier to repalce engine vs rebuild back then. Often I see bikes on ebay that say "matching numbers" and its a true statement but they match because  old numbers were ground off and a new one stamped. That does not qualify for a increased value. Must be factory matching stamps. 

Your title says 47 Chief Roadmaster. This bike has no Roadmaster emblems and may not ever was one. Only was to know for sure is an original bill of sale. Normally Roadmasters would have had the following as standard: chrome rims, windshield, saddle bags, handlebar cross bar, and spotlights and fender emblems. I see a windshield for it sitting in background so that's a nice accessory to have regardless. Hopefully it has the period mounting brackets to go with it. Not uncommon for these accessories to be added within a few years after purchase or even 60 years later.

This bike does have an accessory crossbar where a windshield could be mounted but usually this bar could also be used to mount spotlights.

The carb will be the least of your worries. Yes there are rebuild parts for them. Most parts are expensive for these Indians. Check the condition of the gas tanks. Paint does not look original to me.

It does look like a nice example but pics are not that good to see much detail. How much are they asking.? 

You should inspect the fork and frame to look for signs of repair or damage

When you buy a bike like this that does not run, you must assume engine and transmission work will be needed then if it doesn't, you will be thrilled with your purchase. Clutch work is also a possibility. The charging system will likely need attention too. Unless the wiring has been replaced or is in good condition, you will want to redo that. This is assuming you actually want to ride it. Some owners just want to look at them and have in collection. I have a 48 and ride it often since its the only bike I own. These are wonderful machines with proper setup and maintenance. They need brought out and ridden for the public to see just like our old cars.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1