Early 1920s Studebaker ?

I have to be up bright and early tomorrow morning, I have a 9.00am appointment at the local Charity Shop's warehouse to look at their range of Antique "Mahogany" timber Bed-heads and Tables. Now all you clever people why would I want such a thing? I hope to have some photographs to show you later tomorrow.

Bernie j.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Now for something different, from time to time I mention P.G.Wodehouse and the many books he had written during his lifetime. While essentially "English" he actually spent quite an amount of time living in America and many of his books referred to life in the USA.

I have one bookcase devoted to his books. I decided  a little while ago to start re-reading them. Not following any particular order but jut picking one off the shelf for my bedside reading. I have just finished "The Adventures of Sally" written in 1922 it covers a section of her life when she is mainly living in New York and gives us quite a good insite to life there in the early 1920s. 
The next book again chosen at random is "the Inimitable Jeeves this one was first printed in 1923. My copy is a "Fifth Printing" which probably makes it around 1924/5. Most of my copies are hard cover printed by "Herbert Jenkins" making them mainly Pre WW2 and mostly from the 1920s.

As I am sure I have said many times already, "You do not have to be mad but it helps" Apart from anything else they do tell us something of the lives of the people who drove our cars when new. 

The observant among us will have noted that I do have several paperbacks on the bottom shelf.

I am always interested in hearing from anyone with early (1920s) Herbert Jenkins copies of PGW's books in good condition. There are still almost as many of his stories that I do not have. I can always buy taller bookshelves.

Yes! I have also posted the same thing on my Lagonda Rapier thread.

Bernie j.DSCN5719.thumb.jpg.b9110a1abe3eabd68998b2d65b733ea0.jpgDSCN5720.thumb.jpg.fc65c4c6dcec5ac6a04f8e316d08bdae.jpg

• Like 1

Oldcar, I listen to books while working on other things. I just don't have the time read them anymore. I searched for Wodehouse on Librivox and found many. If you are not familiar with Librivox, they use human readers to create audiobooks from books that are now in the public domain. I have listened to many and right now I have most recently completed Oliver Twist and am now on to Bleak House. I intend to listen to A Christmas Carol around Christmas. I love Sinclair Lewis because his works often include something about early autos, especially, Free Air and Main Street. 

It is a great way to be able to listen to great works while completing other work.

https://librivox.org/author/420?primary_key=420&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Image result for sinclair lewis free air

Hello Keninman

I must confess that I have not encountered any of Sinclair Lewis. I have been reading and collecting PG Wodehouse books for a very long time, longer than I care to think about. I find that I can re-read his books a number of times and get something new from the experience every time. Most people tend to think only in terms of his Bertie Wooster stories which have been the subject of several TV series. But the Wooster & Jeeves adventures or perhaps more correctly "Mis-adventures" are but a tiny part of his out-put. Generally I like to read when I first go to bed, before turning out the light for perhaps up to an hour.  It helps to take my mind off the day's activities. Normally I will read almost anything that has printed pages. I have been collecting and reading PGW for 60 years or more. It is only recently that I have decided to re-read my way through my collection. Anyone who has made a study of his work will understand and appreciate how his stories tie in with the type of car that I am interested in. Despite the amonut of time he spent in the USA and how many of his books are based on life in America during the 1920's and 30's, it seems that he is not widely read by Americans. Having re-read that and having meet quite a number of Americans I can see that some of his (PGW's) humour could be lost on them.

Bj.

• Like 1

Back to the Studebaker (almost)

It seems that work on the Light Six must take a weather related break for a day or two. It really is crazy, as many of you know I work on the car in an open carport.

Officially December 1st,  is the first day of Summer in Australia. Our weather forecasters are yesterday and today issuing warnings of extreme rain and storms, with more than a months rain expected to fall during the next day or two accompanied by wide-spread flooding in low lying areas.

Bernie j

• Like 1

It's winter here in Indiana but we have been enjoying an unusually warm spell. It looks like that will come to an end next week  as old man winter blows in. I am glad I have a heated garage. :D In the land of the Hoosiers we will see often see swings like this, sometimes within one day. It leaves me torn on global warming, it has actually been improving the climate in Indiana. :wacko:

image.thumb.png.dfdeb403ecb82d15b68023e1d74427b4.png

Hello Keninman

Despite a "wet weekend" I am very happy that we live in Australia, even in the South-East corner which on our side of the Equator puts us nearest the "South-Pole" I cannot remember (in 80 years) when we last had Snow in Melbourne, our State Capital City and in Summer it is only rarely that the temperature climbs over 40 degrees Celsius. We built our home almost 50 years ago so we do not have air-conditioning but we do have heating that we run through Winter. We don't need a heated garage and I don't need Anti-freeze in any of our car's radiators. We don't need chains on the cars tires or special wheels with Snow & Mud tread tires. I do own an "overcoat" but again, I cannot remember when I last wore it. I bought it about 60 years ago when the cars I drove did not have heaters. I can drive the Lagonda with the top down 12 months of the year and enjoy it. We can drink excellent wine produced from vines growing in the Yarra Valley less that 20 miles from my front door. Normally our Policemen & women do not carry guns. If I need/want to go to the "City" we have a regular bus service every ten minutes. But rarely need to use it, we have a huge shopping "mall" just a couple of miles away with every kind of shop or service I am likely to need. We have an excellent Public Hospital (Free) about ten minutes drive away and the Doctor I see very occasionally is also part of the (free)  Public Health Service. Despite my apparent "old age" I do all the work, not requiring special equipment, on the Lagonda and the Studebaker myself. I am sufficiently old-fashioned as to prefer and enjoy Oxy-Acetylene Welding. I have three comprehensive tool kits (Spanners etc) Metric, BSF/Whitworth and SAE/Unified which covers just about everything I am likely to need. I am happily married for over 50 years and have four children (three sons and a daughter) and nine grandchildren. All this being so, you could say that if a wet weekend is all I have to worry about, life is rather good.

Oh yes! Following some fairly serious surgery 12 years ago I have been pronounced completely free of Cancer and my Heart seems to work fine unaided. We won't talk about my brain!  No! we do not have a Swinning Pool in our garden but we do have a "fish pond".

Bernie j.

• Like 1

As for improving conditions in Indiana here are a couple of picture of a 12 year old me after the blizzard of 1978. I don't remember any winter worse than this one. I was pleased because we missed nearly a month of school since Indiana was not prepared to deal with this kind of weather. For weather like you speak of one would have to get pretty far south though the temps warm quite quickly as you go. We traveled to the Bahamas last January, were it is nearly always summer and nearly froze but that is how the cookie crumbles. 

winter 78 2.jpg

winter 78 3.jpg

winter 78 6.jpg

I am currently looking at replacing the non-existent door trim panels in my 1920 Light Six. This is believed to be a very early car so I would be interested to see precisely how these were made and fitted. I have made one set but I am not happy that these would be excatly as original.

I would also like to see how the trim was applied to the rear of the front seat. I imagine that it was the same carpet as used on the rear floor. Was there any carpet used on the front floor or was this entirely linoleum?

Bj.

Bureaucracy at its best?

One could very well ask “Why Bother?"

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: Information relating to a 1920 Studebaker car last registered in 1941 - Freedom of Information Request 2018.0542
Date: 8 December 2017 at 11:36:31 AM AEDT
To: Bernie Jacobson <twooldlags@gmail.com>

Dear Mr Jacobson, 
Please find attached acknowledgement letter in relation to your request. 

Freedom Of Information and Information Privacy Unit
Legal Services
VicRoads
60 Denmark Street KEW
E foistaff@roads.vic.gov.au 
W vicroads.vic.gov.au
Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Online Services | VicTraffic | LinkedIn 

To:        foistaff@roads.vic.gov.au 
Date:        04/12/2017 11:20 AM 
Subject:        Re: Information relating to a 1920 Studebaker car last registered in 1941 

Ext:                Business Area:         
Fax:                Internet:         
File Name:          File Description:         
This email is from an external source. If it is a Business Record remember to file it in QuickDocs

Good Morning 
Can you please charge the $28.40 to my Visa or alternatively please send me your bank details and I will transfer this amount directly to your account. 
However before sending you my payment details can you assure me that you actually have some previously unavailable information for me. 
I have been taught to be cautious in these matters. Having twice paid the AOMC $110 only to be told that they could tell me nothing. 
If you care to discuss this personally my telephone number is 9842 5808, 

Bernard Jacobson. 
On 4 Dec 2017, at 9:40 AM, foistaff@roads.vic.gov.au wrote: 

Dear Mr Jacobson, 
I refer to your email below and advise that to provide access to this documentation a cheque of $28.40 as payment for the request is required. Please send the cheque made out to VicRoads, to Freedom of Information, 60 Denmark Street Kew Vic 3101. 

Regards, 

Freedom Of Information and Information Privacy Unit
Legal Services
VicRoads
60 Denmark Street KEW
E foistaff@roads.vic.gov.au 
W vicroads.vic.gov.au
Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Online Services | VicTraffic | LinkedIn 

To:        foistaff@roads.vic.gov.au 
Date:        29/11/2017 04:25 PM 
Subject:        Information relating to a 1920 Studebaker car last registered in 1941

Ext:                Business Area:         
Fax:                Internet:         
File Name:          File Description:         
This email is from an external source. If it is a Business Record remember to file it in QuickDocs

Good Afternoon 
I am seeking some information regarding  the history of a 1920 Studebaker car. The car has been in storage since the last registration expired in December 1941. 
I understand it was originally registered in Victoria number 74593. It was subsequently re registered Victorian number 103981. I am seeking to discover the original registered owner and where and when it was first registered. The names and addresses of any subsequent owners up to & including the last registered owner. 
Having been in storage /off the road for so long this car is of special historical interest and this information is sought in order to piece together the cars early history. 

The people at the Association of Motoring Clubs who hold some of the early records suggested that they were prevented (FoI) from giving me any of this information and that I should contact your department. 
I am willing to pay any necessary search fee required if you are able to supply this additional information. I am a Hon Life Member of the Vintage Sports Car Club & a Internationally recognised motoring writer and historian. 

Thanking you 

Bernard (Bernie) Jacobson 
<twooldlags@gmail.com>  (03) 9842 5808. 
<Mail Attachment.jpeg> 
<Mail Attachment.jpeg> 

Part of Transport for Victoria 

DISCLAIMER
The following conditions apply to this communication and any attachments: VicRoads reserves all of its copyright; the information is intended for the addressees only and may be confidential and/or privileged - it must not be passed on by any other recipients; any expressed opinions are those of the sender and not necessarily VicRoads; VicRoads accepts no liability for any consequences arising from the recipient's use of this means of communication and/or the information contained in and/or attached to this communication. If this communication has been received in error, please contact the person who sent this communication and delete all copies.

VicRoads 
Part of Transport for Victoria 

DISCLAIMER
The following conditions apply to this communication and any attachments: VicRoads reserves all of its copyright; the information is intended for the addressees only and may be confidential and/or privileged - it must not be passed on by any other recipients; any expressed opinions are those of the sender and not necessarily VicRoads; VicRoads accepts no liability for any consequences arising from the recipient's use of this means of communication and/or the information contained in and/or attached to this communication. If this communication has been received in error, please contact the person who sent this communication and delete all copies.

2018.0542a.pdf

5a2a287ff1eee_VicRoads.thumb.jpeg.d53c22f533770e0fe0b670f71f42d928.jpeg

Getting information from Australian Government Department archives is a little like finding photographs of the interior trim in a 1920 Light Six tourer.

The "Care & Operation Hand-book shows what the door trim looks like. So I guess that gives me a starting point.

Bj.5a2a32eb59d8f_StudebakerTrim1.jpeg.e2376f6283f74262cc435a2d5389b219.jpeg

1st two photos taken by Steve Brown of the original 1920 Light Six at the Studebaker Museum

5a2a89a932f05_1920LightSixTouringatStudebakerMuseum2.thumb.JPG.d504afa55c6112ace1c462dbf0201081.JPG5a2a89aaacfd8_1920LightSixTouringatStudebakerMuseum3.thumb.JPG.b6ef175e56d30cea2bb190e2a5d9743b.JPG

These two are from an original 1923 interior - major difference is they lengthened the door pockets and flaps after 1921.DSC04497.thumb.JPG.ef72d25a82c5acc33c5843e77fe6b8b6.JPGDSC04498.thumb.JPG.73ce762f3af53a7efadc307846f8357a.JPG

Carpet on floor in rear was a short square weave and matched the kick carpet on the back of the front seat. (Not linoleum - that was in the front and on running boards).

Original interior door upholstery from 1923 below

20160109_105032.thumb.jpg.40a867849dc0422fd73667465f3bc744.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, oldcar said:

In effect you know nothing about me or my car, so who are you to "disagree". If it offends you so, much, I will NOT post anymore information on this part of the Forum! 

"In effect" I have 7 years of research.

7 hours ago, Stude Light said:

1st two photos taken by Steve Brown of the original 1920 Light Six at the Studebaker Museum

5a2a89a932f05_1920LightSixTouringatStudebakerMuseum2.thumb.JPG.d504afa55c6112ace1c462dbf0201081.JPG5a2a89aaacfd8_1920LightSixTouringatStudebakerMuseum3.thumb.JPG.b6ef175e56d30cea2bb190e2a5d9743b.JPG

These two are from an original 1923 interior - major difference is they lengthened the door pockets and flaps after 1921.DSC04497.thumb.JPG.ef72d25a82c5acc33c5843e77fe6b8b6.JPGDSC04498.thumb.JPG.73ce762f3af53a7efadc307846f8357a.JPG

Carpet on floor in rear was a short square weave and matched the kick carpet on the back of the front seat. (Not linoleum - that was in the front and on running boards).

Original interior door upholstery from 1923 below

20160109_105032.thumb.jpg.40a867849dc0422fd73667465f3bc744.jpg

Excellent photos Stude Light. I think Oldcar is very lucky you are taking an interest in his vehicle and providing good information and advice.

• Like 1

Thank you both.

These photographs show me exactly what I needed to know. While obviously original whay I had trouble understanding was the length of the "Flaps" over the door pockets even in the earlier car, similar to my 1920) to lift the flaps over the front door pockets requires the door to be opened first. This seems to be more pronounced in the later cars with even longer flaps. The photographs also confirm that the pocket is off centre to accomodate the door handle.

The centre cross rail in the frame of my doors would governs the depth of the pocket.  As with the rest of the car the original timber in the door frames is in excellent condition. It is just a pity the the rats living in the car during its long stay in a "hen-house" took such a liking to the original interior trim in the car. The other thing I was unsure about was it there was a section of carpet at the bottom of the doors as on the rear of the front seat.

The final photograph shows the interior trim details of the 1922 Packard Single Six I restored some years ago with the carpet extended across the bottoms of the door and the door pocket detail.

Prior to my ownership the Packard had spent a number of years in a storage shed on the Melbourne docks subject of a dispute with the Australian Customs Service.

Bernie j.

DSCN5747.thumb.jpg.9eb4a9d2fb6fb68e3a932f6df654ca38.jpgDSCN5746.thumb.jpg.2146943c69823005e8d9e395f050ddde.jpg

DSCN5745.thumb.jpg.655f8731c80aa7e8357dc0c7406747d8.jpg

5a2b27d2941dd_PackardInterior_23.jpg.3fd44253354b27589323fecf6d7437e1.jpg

The door pocket flaps are not meant to be stiff. They are just two pieces of material sewn together (originally Fabrikoid - faux leather) with a flat piece of steel in the bottom for weight. The steel piece was rounded on the bottom ends to conform to the shape of the pocket. So before the material dry rotted and became stiff you could still bend and fold the pocket open without opening the door, even on the 1923 model.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

On 11/24/2017 at 12:18 PM, oldcar said:

Two month's ago I did not even know what a Light Six was. It was not until after I had bought it that learnt what a Light Six was and discovered the traps for young players in the early EJ cars.

The "soft" door pocket flaps certainly should make life easier. All I need to do is to "borrow"my wife's sewing machine. 

Further to the above, while I am new to Studebakers, I do have some sixty five years of experience of repairing, rebuilding, restoring, researching and driving :- Pre 1940 Motor cars. 

Bernie j.

A Christmas card for you.5a3340565385b_WinterwonderlandHelenKGmakeabriefstopduringtheaptlynamedVSCCofA22FrostbiteRun22OneoftherareoccassionsthatweseeKGwiththehooderected..thumb.jpg.4ac5d55401c084e5620acafa82b6c09f.jpg

Good Morning and Compliments of the Season to All.

What a mixed year this has been. On the domestic front all has been rather quiet with our family busily pursuing their own activities. Now I know that many of you are waiting impatiently for  our Motoring News. 2017 started off badly with our beloved Lagonda Rapier tucked up in the garage with the engine out and all in pieces following the horror return journey home from the NSW, VSCC Dubbo Rally.  The outcome of this was a total engine rebuild that seemed to go on and on. In the process I had decided that I needed to do something about the carburettion and more specifically, the inlet manifold. This developed into one of those situations where the more I did the worse the problem got.  It was not until September that I got the Rapier running well enough for us to attend the VSCC’s “Wimmera Wander” a mid week touring event that took us along some completely new country roads.  This started in Hamilton, one of the principle Western District towns and one that we have visited a number of times in the past. It is a day’s drive from our home in suburban Melbourne . The “Wander” started with “out and back” drives for the first two days then into the Grampians where we spent the final night at Halls Gap. Un-characteristically, the Rapier decided to hold us up not once but twice on the same day. Firstly a clevis pin fell out of  the gear-change linkage, making it impossible to change gears. This I could rectify on the side of the road, using a nut and bolt out of the selection always carried in one of the pockets in the tool bag. Then later that afternoon the silencer and exhaust pipe decided to fall off!   Perhaps due to some late night workmanship when re-assembling the car after its engine rebuild.This could be put back temporarily but required further work after we had returned home.

On the return leg after the weeks motoring, I noticed that the engine was running too fast at an idle. As this did not improve with winding the adjustment fully back, I diagnosed this as an air leak somewhere in the induction side of things. First thing to be suspect was the ill fated modifications to the inlet manifolds. Taking these off the engine and placing them upside down of my work bench I could test them for air leaks using some methylated spirits. It showed that the site of my previous repair was porous permitting air to leak in. I was to eventually admit defeat and order a new pair of inlet manifolds from the Rapier Register “Spares” in England. While I was waiting for these to arrive by post. I could remove the exhaust system and weld  the slip joint that had failed while away.  When the new inlet manifolds finally arrived I could enlist our son Steve’s assistance in enlarging the ports both on the carburettor and the cylinder head sides. Finally It is all back together and running nicely but as this was not accomplished until mid November this has been our quietest year as far as our “Vintage” motoring is concerned.

On the restoration front it has been an equally unproductive year although it has seen some changes with regard to the cars. Firstly uncharacteristically I decided that I was never going to finish the 1912 Humber, as a result it was advertised on the PrewarCar website. Thankfully it sold relatively quickly and I spent a couple of weeks packing up all the bits for it’s sea voyage to the land of its birth, England. It is an interesting aside, that since arriving in England It has changed owners twice. 
I decided rightly or wrongly that what I really wanted was a Vintage Light Car project, It did not take many weeks before I had a 1929 Triumph “Super Seven”. Sadly It only took a matter of two or three weeks for me to decide that perhaps the little Triumph was not all that super! It too very quickly found a new owner about as far away as possible without leaving the eastern side of Australia. Again I was gainfully employed packing it all up for the long road journey north to Cairns in Northen Queensland
I barely had time to sweep out the garage when our enthusiastic son Steve telephoned to tell me that there was a car advertised on “Gum-tree”,  he thought I should at least enquire about. After a short discussion I arranged go and look at a 1920 Studebaker,” Light Six”. Following short discussion we decided to buy it. 

Since having it safely at home I have been able to start a “thread” on the Studebaker section of the Antique Automobile Club of America’s internet Forum.  In the past I have made a habit of using the AACA’s Forum to uncover all sorts of information regarding my various project cars!   I now know that our “Stude” is probably the earliest surviving “Light Six” and also a rather special car. One of just a handful of surviving examples of its model but in addition to being right hand drive, it is fitted with the optional Wire Spoke wheels and Magneto Ignition. It shows all the signs of less than careful storage, It appears to have spent  most of it’s life since December 1941, while undercover, stored in various farm sheds and “Chook” houses. Firstly in Springvale from 1941 to 1969 or perhaps 1970. Then it \was sold to a man who ran a mixed farm/orchard at Merrigum, not far from Shepparton. Once there it was placed into another shed and left almost untouched until when it was sold at a Farm Clearance Auction in 2012. From Merrigum it was transported to Collingwood but while on the way, the Hood was removed and left in another farm shed at Gooram, not far from Echuca. The new owner parked the Studebaker in the vast garage. he did not even bother to jack the car up and put in “on blocks”. It stayed there, standing on flat tyres, until we bought it another five years later. 

Now, I have had all the wheels sand blasted, painted and fitted  with four new tyres. I can now move the car single handed. While the motor was “stuck” and impossible to move using the crank handle. Now after gently “rocking” the car with top  gear engaged, the motor turns over nicely. Perhaps for the first time in a great many years. The most surprising thing is the speedo reading, just 36,016 miles. Being a 1920 Light Six, one of the first two years production,it has an experimental engine fitted with an aluminium cylinder head. This motor was only used for a little over two years. One of the problems with this motor is that enthusiastic mechanics tended to over tighten the spark-plugs, in the process stripping the thread in the cylinder head.  The upholstery will need to be replaced. The seats have provided a safe and comfortable home for generations of rats & mice! Also some of the paint work will require some judicious “patching in”, to go any further would risk spoiling the wonderful “oily rag” patina of the car. 

We had  one more delightful sojourn, this time in Helen’s trusty VW Jetta, we set out to drive to Canberra to meet up with son Nicholas and his family, who live in Adelaide, for an enjoyable few days. But as is our custom we avoided the Hume Highway driving instead up the Melba Highway towards Yea and Mansfield. From there we followed the road past Powers Lookout,  through Beechworth to Wodonga where we stopped for the night. Next day we set off again taking the Olympic Highway  through Junee and Cootamundra before turning off on to some “interesting side roads to make our next stop at Binalong where VSCC member Stuart Saunders has the Motor Museum.  From there it was an easy drive through Yass to Canberra.  In Canberra we stayed at the Rex Hotel/Motel for four nights. Nic had hired a seven seater People mover and  given Canberra’s convoluted road system, we were happy for him to drive us each day. It was great for us to have so much time with Nic, Susannah, and their two, Julius and Helena. 

Leaving Canberra we chose to ignore the Highways again, instead we took the road through Wee Jasper, Tumut and Batlow where some of the best Apples in Australia are grown, our destination for that day’s driving wasTumbarumba. Rapier owner Neil Hamilton has recently bought a property about ten Kms south of the town, until they finish building their new house they are living in a rented house a little closer to the town.  We had a very pleasant evening with Neil and Grazysna. Next morning we set off again travelling South-West. Again we chose to find our way through the lesser travelled roads including Twist Creek Road that runs through some interesting country between Yackandandah and Beechworth.  A fabulous drive but not if you are in a hurry and not if you are worried about getting your car dirty. Oh yes! There are a couple of first and second gear bits too. One thing for sure,  the traffic will not be of concern! We enjoyed every km. but we would not attempt to drive it in Mid Winter or High Summer. From there we drove along the King Valley Road to Mansfield and finally back down the Maroondah Highway to home. 

My first year of being an Octogenarian was relatively uneventful and Helen still has another year  before she joins me in the OBE Club. We both feel remarkably well and still look forward to the future rather than back at the past. 
Hopefully 2018 will bring some/a lot more enjoyable adventures for us.  Some in the Lagonda Rapier and perhaps in the Studebaker too. 

For now it will be another New Year of French and Strength Training for Helen and my Monday morning games of Petanque.  
All that remains is to wish you and your families an Extremely Happy Christmas and an Even Better and Healthy New Year.

Happy motoring in 2018.

Bernie j.

• Like 2

Hello

I am sorry but i have to admit none of this is doing me any good, I have, just two evenings ago, had my trusty Peugeot daily driver written off in a Hail storm to end all hail storms and some damage to my wife's VW Jetta daily driver damaged albeit not as badly as the Peugeot.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/victorians-left-in-the-dark-after-severe-storms-hit-state/9273806

This is all that was needed to tip me over the edge. My already fragile 80plus year old nerves are strung out like a Violin string and right now just looking at the Studebaker makes me want to cry.

The Bottom Line is that I have decided to sell the Light Six!

You all know, if you have got this far, its story so I will not repeat it here. I do not expect to make a profit but I really cannot afford to simply give it away. As you will have read, it is as near to a Barn find as you could get except that it now has four Brand New tires on it. The motor turns but it will need some minor work before it can be started. The upholstery is all stripped out but against that there are three new black hides that will be included.

Today it owes me around Australian $20. but you tell me what you would be prepared to pay for it. That will only go part way to pay for the repairs of the Hail Damage to my two daily drivers. 

Bernie Jacobson.

twooldlags@gmail.com

Bernie, very sorry to hear of the damage caused by the hailstorm. I looked at the link you provided, that was some huge hail! Hate to hear that you have to sell the Studebaker, but understand the need to fix the daily drivers. You have definitely contributed to preserving the Studebaker by 'rescuing' it from a long slumber, uniting the car with it's top/bows, and getting started on the oily rag restoration. Your search and documentation of what history you could find will help future owners.

Keep us informed of what transpires.

Thank You Paul 
I think that the Peugeot will probably be written off by the insurers but that will not give me sufficient to buy a replacement.

Anyone interested in buying my Studebaker can see it on the PrewarCar website. It is advertised at UK£9,995.00 which is not a lot of money. I would soomer see it go to someone who will get on and finish the task I have started.

Bernie j.

Bernie,

Sorry to hear of the unfortunate weather.  Looking at the photos in the news story......that is some large hail. Too bad about your damage but at least insurance should cover most of it.

You should feel really good that you rescued a car, were able to piece together much of its history, reunite it's hood (top) to the rest of the car, started on the quest and laid out a plan to get it back in service.  That will mean a great deal to the new owner - and you can just send them to this thread for all those details. Without your intervention, this car would probably still be sitting somewhere and waiting and gradually rotting.  Good luck on selling it.  Maybe the new owner will start a new thread and the story will continue.

Regards,

Scott

Thank you Scott

As they say in all the best story books, "It ain't sold yet . A lot of water may pass under the bridge."

I will pass on this link to anybody interested.

I believe very much in being as open as possible in these things.

Perhaps that is why I am almost constantly down to my last dollar.

Hopefully I will "pop up" again somewhere on the Forum. Having said that, at some time in the foreseeable future

I will have to start acting my age. Meanwhile I still have my Lagonda Rapier to keep me entertained.

Bernie j.

December 24 is a little late to expect your poor tiredout Post man to deliver even one more card. If you have not receiced one in the mail, here is your's now.

5a3f37f4a4449_HelenKG.thumb.jpg.d21e11a6f6d6f69fce6944764dd0adb7.jpg

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and lots of Happy Motoring in 2018.

Bernie j.

• Like 1

Bernie, sorry to hear of your troubles.  Things may work out okay for you.  I was t-boned in my wife's car three weeks ago.  The payout from the insurance plus $1,000.00 got us the same make and model, one year newer with 98,000 less kilometers on  the clock.  Sometimes things work out different and even better than we expect.

I enjoyed reading about your Studebaker.  Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year.

Surprise surprise!

I have sold the "Light Six" and it is to go to England. Any of the Eager Beavers who monitor the Studebaker section of the PrewarCar website would have been aware that I had it advertised for sale. After being given the "run around" by a couple of time wasters I believe that this "buyer" is genuine. I simply found it was too big and heavy for me to move around unaided. So I would like to go back to my first "love" and look for an "early Vintage (Pre 1925) light car" (under 10 horsepower). I would like to thank all the people who were so helpful and supportive. Having gone through one lot of Spinal-surgery I did not want to go down that path again.

Thank you all

Bernie j.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  That didn't take very long and, hopefully, this will relieve some of the stress you have recently endured.  So how much does it cost to ship a car to England from Australia and how long does that typically take?

Usually about Aust $4,500 and 45days plus clearance time in port of arrival. I have suggested that the buyer keep in touch with the Forum.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for all the support and helpful advice.

Bernie j.

While here in Australia we are by now well intoNew Years Day some of you across the Globe are still enjoying New Years Eve

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people who have been so incredibly helpful and supportive. 

May the New Year bring you all Health, Wealth & Happiness.

Cheers

Bernie j. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Paul

We have been spending the New Year and some extra days with my sister who lives on the coast at Point Lonsdale.

I trust that you and all the other contributors to this thread have had an enjoyable holiday and are looking froward to another Happy Year.

I have suggested to the new owner of the Light Six that he continue on with this thread.

If you would like to welcome him (David Chappell) to the ranks of the Studebaker fraternity his email is  dr.chappell@btinternet.com

Thank you

Bernie j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is for Scott.

One final question. What is the significance of the number 2657 stamped into the left hand side of the bulkhead just to the side of the oil can and above the horn mounting bracket. Thank you for all your assistance. I believe that David Chappell has been in contact with you.

Bernie j. 

DSCN5794.thumb.jpg.62dd5e2daeb7e393adfdc5121026f435.jpg

Hi Bernie,

Yes, Dave got in touch with me. I'm sure he is eager for the arrival of the car. Besides the long boat ride, he'll have to deal with customs which, hopefully, will go smoothly.

I do not know what the number on the bulkhead was for. It was probably used to track the bodies but its significance has long been lost to history. My Budd built body had a tag on it with a number but, again, no meaning as all that documentation has been destroyed long ago. I was finally able to locate the approximate location where the Walkerville Studebaker plant was located...not much record of that. The building was torn down a long time ago but it is where all the right hand drive cars were built and was acquired by Studebaker in 1910 from Everitt-Metzger-Flanders and supplied all the cars for the British Empire until it was closed after WWII which is when they opened the Hamilton, Ontario plant (1947).

Glad you were able to collect some history and all the pieces for the car (folding top in particular) and pass the torch to another enthused owner. Good luck on the other projects have fun with that Lagonda.

Scott

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Hi Bernie,

Yes, Dave got in touch with me. I'm sure he is eager for the arrival of the car. Besides the long boat ride, he'll have to deal with customs which, hopefully, will go smoothly.

I do not know what the number on the bulkhead was for. It was probably used to track the bodies but its significance has long been lost to history. My Budd built body had a tag on it with a number but, again, no meaning as all that documentation has been destroyed long ago. I was finally able to locate the approximate location where the Walkerville Studebaker plant was located...not much record of that. The building was torn down a long time ago but it is where all the right hand drive cars were built and was acquired by Studebaker in 1910 from Everitt-Metzger-Flanders and supplied all the cars for the British Empire until it was closed after WWII which is when they opened the Hamilton, Ontario plant (1947).

Glad you were able to collect some history and all the pieces for the car (folding top in particular) and pass the torch to another enthused owner. Good luck on the other projects have fun with that Lagonda.

Scott

Just curious - re your comment about all of the right hand drive cars coming from Walkerville. I had always thought with our 3rd series GE (NZ new with rhd) that the serial number suggested it came from South Bend, I don't have the number handy at the moment - I will have to check it again at the weekend..

My understanding is that some parts of the cars were built in other plants, then shipped to Walkerville where various localized content was added to the cars which now made them British built and allowed them to be imported into other countries with a reduction in import tariffs.  The details of this practice are mostly lost so it is difficult to say just what the practice was for each model. I'm sure Studebaker would take every advantage possible to reduce the price of their vehicles so it would make sense to use this process wherever possible.  Another thing that I don't know is just how much content did you need.  Could you build a car in South Bend or Detroit, ship it to Walkerville and install the seats and call it British built?  I'm sure they had some rules. This definitely explains why the exported cars have content that was different from their domestic counterparts. I've sent a lot of parts globally and end up with photos of people's cars and I've seen differences in bodies, tops, windshields, colors, engines, etc. on these export cars.

So to answer your question...I don't know.

Scott

• Like 1