1937 Dodge Brothers help

rdc5

Hello All,

I just bought a 1937 Dodge sedan, I believe a D7 model? I have never owned anything this old but my wife loves the old cars so I bought it for her. Although it has been sitting for a long time it is complete and very solid underneath, just some light surface rust. The original drivetrain is long gone, it was replaced with a 65 push button auto with a 225 slant six in the 70s. Any info and opinions you all can provide are welcome!

This is the tag on the fire wall:

Body #70

Paint Code 580

Trim Code AHA

D74DTRG

vin 9477586

Thanks

image10.JPG

Edited by rdc5 (see edit history)

If your wife likes it and the mechanical changes were safely and properly done,  drive it and tinker with it for at least the rest of the summer.   Its a Mopar in a Mopar and the Slant 6 was one of the best engineered engines ever out of the house of WP Chrysler.   

Make sure all the brakes are up to snuff and that your tires aren't more than 10 years old and then GREEN LIGHTS,  BLUE SKIES.

• Like 1

That engine looks super clean.

I would adjust the valves and put the valve cover and air filter back on it and drive it.

As mentioned, the slants are a great engine. So it could be a 170, 198 or 225.

Push button makes it early. I think 64 may have been the last year for PB. At least on the full size cars. Valiants may have been later.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Casting number on the head ids it as a 225. The head is was redone10+ years ago, bolted on but never finished as the owner passed away. I'm going to remove the head this weekend to make sure everything looks good then put it together and turn it over. If the drivetrain is ok we plan for now to run new brake and fuel lines, redo the brakes, new tires then drive it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JayG said:

Are there 2 broken rocker arms?

Good eye Jay.

It looks like they are just turned wrong.

It looks like none of the push rods are not in place either.

Probably have to take the shaft loose to roll them over, they can be kind of tricky to do by ones self. (getting all of the push rods in place as the shaft is put in place)

If you are pulling the head anyway those have to come off first.

Yes the push rods aren't installed. I pulled the head off today to make sure everything was good with the valves, pistons, etc. and the only problem was cylinders 3&4 have some light rust around the combustion chambers because there was no plugs installed and moisture got in there. Going to clean that up and bolt everything together and spark it up and see what happens

• Like 2

While I'm not generally a big fan of modern engines in old cars, I understand sometimes it has to be done, at least stay brand loyal! This looks like a pretty neat change up. Thank God they didn't go SBC. Enjoy it and share more pics! B)

Really nice car!  The original engine would have been a 201.3-cid flathead six.  The 225 slant six will give you lots more power.   The last year for all Mopar pushbutton cars was 1964.  Chrysler dropped the buttons as many prospective buyers were hesitant to buy a car with pushbuttons.  Rambler dropped their pushbuttons for 1963 leaving Chrysler the only one with buttons.  Raised the question, "why are buttons so good when everyone else has dropped them?"  Chrysler owners, on the other hand, loved them.

Your Dodge D7 was marketed as the DeLuxe Six and was basically a 1937 Plymouth P4 DeLuxe Six with a Dodge front clip attached to a Plymouth body and chassis.  Wheelbase is 112" - the US-style Dodge, D5, (sold in Canada as the Custom Six) was on a 115"  wheelbase.   There was a model D6, sold as the Six, which was based on the P3 Plymouth (Business in USA and Six in Canada).    The D6 was also built in the U.S. for export markets outside of Canada and the U.S.   The instrument panel in your D7 DeLuxe Six is the same as used in the D5 Custom Six while the D6 Six used the Plymouth P3 Six panel.

D7 serial numbers started at 9,469,961 and ended at 9,478,110.   Total production came to 9,150.  Your car, serial number 9,477,586, was the 7,626th D7 built.

For your body tag :

Model - 4DTRG - 4dr Touring Sedan  - Has the larger trunk - humpback by some people.  Non-touring models had a flat back.

Body No - 50 - the 50th 4DTRG built.   Surprising that number is so low given how high the serial number is. 

Trim - AHA - Have no info on pre-war trim at this time

Paint - 580 - Colour was "Blue" ("Plymouth Blue", "Dodge Blue", "DeSoto Blue", and "Chrysler Blue") and first used in 1936.   The same colour was used again in 1938-39.  It was a Canada-only colour and used C.I.L. (DuPont) code 246-8629 and Sherwin-Williams Canada P-1193.   Chrysler of Canada used lacquer paints on all their cars prior to WW II,  switching to enamel for 1946.

Brand new, the D7 DeLuxe Six 4dr Touring Sedan sold for C$890.   Shipping weight was 2,975 lbs.  Four models were available - Business Coupe, Rumble Seat Coupe,  2dr Touring Sedan and 4dr Touring Sedan.    The lower priced had the flat back sedans but no rumble seat coupes.

Welcome to the party!  I got my own DB sedan, a 1936 four passenger *non* touring sedan,  not quite a year ago.  I have a couple of threads on it so check those out.  My car was in dry storage for over 30 years before I bought it.  Haven't had much time to work on it but junior and I did spend a few hours tinkering yesterday so I need to update my resurrection thread.

The slant 6 idea is interesting.  I'd figure that engine to be much wider than the original flathead.  We'll see how my 36's engine sounds when I get it running.  Ya know... I do have a low miles Super 6 out of a 77 Dodge Aspen tucked away...

P6080004.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! That is great information. As for your question of the width on the slant six, it fits in there quite well, not much room as you'd expect in the right side of the engine bay because of the slant.  I have figured out the motor is a 65 and the trans is a 64 from a Plymouth Vailant. hope to try starting it this weekend or next, I took the head and oil pan off and everything looks healthy. Just a have to finish reassembly

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, I got it all back together and it fired right up and runs strong. 2 weeks ago I borrowed a dealer plate and we took it around town to see it the tranny works. Drove straight and smooth, came home to find the right front brake cylinder had let go and we were leaking trans fluid from the speedo cable, all in all not bad considering it hasn't moved in 20 years. Now going to replace fuel and brake lines and rewire the car with a painless kit and hope to safety the car in the spring. I have 1 question, does anyone know what the 37 hood emblem looks like? I have 2 that came with the car, they are exact except the horns are separated on one and the other they are not, its smooth over the head of the ram. Thanks

The one on the car is like the one in your picture. The one that came in a box has all the chrome wore off but is identical except the horns are not separated. The previous owner thought the brass one was the original ornament off the car, but it looks like they might be mistaken. If it isn't a 37 ornament does anyone know what year it would be?

Other hood ornament.jpg