Beemon

Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

Paint is going to make her look great and give you another burst of pride at any car event. 

Anxiously awaiting the results. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, Doug. I think it will not only be good for me, but my grandpa as well who is equally excited. Although a 53 Roadmaster was his first car, the 56 was the first car he bought with my late grandmother and the car they started their family with. Coincidentally it will be the car I start my family with, too! 

Plus I can't wait for the patina comments to go away.  :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Okay, I got the front windshield trim off. The center piece for me was the keystone, so I had to get a thin flat head screw driver (think hobby set or those really really small electronics screwdriver kits) and pry up at the top of the center piece. Once it was off the top, then you just push down to snap it off. The passenger side trim came off with zero issue, the driver side needed a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallot on the end until it was about a half way off.

Getting the wiper transmission trim off was pretty difficult because on the bottom of the cover it has this embossed ridge that runs right into the stainless grill set screw. It required some finnessing but I got both sides off without breaking anything. 

On to the back window! 

20180514_124316.jpg

20180514_124450.jpg

20180514_125133.jpg

• Like 6

You probably have been told this before but a reminder to take lots of pictures or bag small parts with hand diagrams and notes to aide the replacing of things. 

It's amazing how quickly you can forget just how this went on or which order that needs to go on... but wait, you're young and I'm old (forgets easier).:lol:

• Like 1

Jeez, I don't think I want to remember! Haha

GM white (it's an off-white cream color that matched the white) and metallic electric blue (color swatch matched the good blue spots). They're painting the door jams, hood jams, and trunk jams, on top of fixing the holes. Base and clear coat with a 5-year warranty for paint and work that is going to be done. I think that should cover me until I can afford to get the car to a restoration shop! And, warranties are always a good thing to have, too. And, for the price I paid, the guy said he would paint the interior window and door trim the same color as the exterior blue, so everything is going to match.

Unfortunately, not pictured, and some bad news to me - there was a huge hole on the rear belt line on the passenger side. I guess this makes sense, the rear of the car was exposed to the elements in my grandfather's carport, and the passenger side especially since it was open on the side - the driver side was shielded by the house. It was about the thickness of the beltline trim around the window and measured about 2 inches long. They said they could fix it, so we'll see, but it rusted through two layers of spot welded sheet metal. The rest of the rear window was in pretty poor shape. Out of the 8 or so retaining clips on the back window trim, I only got two of them back. My father has a TIG machine and he was a Boeing welder for years before working for General Dynamics. We're going to make some replacement clips out of stainless. In fact, I will not be re-using any of the hardware that I pulled off this car. All non-critical fasteners will be stainless steel. This includes the window trim screws, nuts, and bolts. Stuff like the door latch, striker, and hardware that holds up the window regulators will still be steel, but I'm hoping to find some resistive zinc plated replacement stuff for these. Hopefully, it will save me some headache when I do this all again 30 years from now or something. 

• Like 5

Same blue and white? What’s that on the roof? Are you taping it up or ? 

I bet grandma will have more to say whe you go back after it’s painted. How old is gramma? 

• Like 1

Never mind I was replying to a page back. Second cup of coffee hasn’t kicked in yet

• Haha 2

I tried to match the colors as best I could.  It should look pretty close to the same if the paint chips are accurate. The tarp on top is for the lack of windows.  :P

I'm sure she's happy somewhere. I hope to bring the car by the gravesite when its put back together. Maybe I can get her to speak with the big man about keeping the temps below 80.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billbuickgs said:

My first Buick that I drove to work was a 1956 Special 2 dr sedan . ( 1961 )

It had the stock 322 with added four barrel and 56 dual exhaust manifolds  and switch pitch DYNAFLOW "

The story behind the one  wire wheel is funny ! I work at an ESSO station at nights and Saturday .

A guy pulls in the station in a 58 white LIMITED CONV .

I only had three wire wheels at the time . HE said " WANT TO SELL THOSE WHEELS ?"

I said " NO , I'm looking for another one ".

He opened his trunk and said " I buy your three or you buy my wheel !"

That wheel cost me a full weeks part time pay $ 30.00  but I had my 4th wire !

Bill

IMG_3465.JPG

Sorry , I wanted to post this in the Buick picture forum

Bill

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billbuickgs said:

Sorry , I wanted to post this in the Buick picture forum

Bill

Bill I moved the post over to the I Just Love the Picture Of this Buick thread for you.

I went to go see dad this last weekend. He just bought a new 12 foot boat so he's been bass fishing non stop. To be fair he hasn't owned a boat in some time. Regardless, after we were finished we made some stainless trim retainers from .033 sheet metal and #10-24 screws, same as original. I did the cutting and dimensioning and he did the TIG welding. I only got two of the 11 original clips back, so now I'm set for when the car comes out of the booth.

20180520_143622.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Today was the 3 year anniversary of getting the  first engine fired and the car rolling under its own power. Not much to say other than how disappointed I am with "experts" in the hobby and how if I knew what I do now back then, I probably wouldn't have been screwed as bad as I was by literally everyone I paid money to to have something rebuilt. This hobby is very love/hate and the only reason I haven't given up is because of the community here. I never get to go to shows and I'm most likely going to miss the all Buick open show this next weekend, but hopefully that will all change next year. I hope to meet all you wonderful people some day so I can give thanks in person. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Keep the faith -- when you give up, they win...  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got some big boy toys today. The rest comes in tomorrow, hopefully, from CARS.

The Buick is still in the paint shop, but I can at least reline the vent window  and rear window in the mean time. 

20180611_212021.jpg

• Like 4